“Getaway from Sydney for warmth and a swim.”

Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We checked in and had to ask for help to get the luggage out of the car it was a very much a get it yourself kind of deal. We are seniors in our 60's. The room was very outdated. The decor was very old. The bed was hard and my back really played up so much I had to have strong pain killers before bedtime and during the day. The pillows were like bags of concrete. The bathrooms were so old. We need bathrooms with walk in showers apparently there aren't any in the hotel. I asked and was told there weren't any rooms like that. WE have both had knee replacements. Next the pool was too hard for us to access as there were stairs at one end with out a railing and a beach like effect with sand at the other end without any steps into it so we had to walk through the garden to get in. There was another guest who came to our aid and helped us down onto the sand otherwise we would not have been able to access the water. We got into the water and it was so cold we had to get out. The guest waited for us to get out so that he could help us to get out of the pool area. I would have thought there would have been an employee to watch the pool area for any dangerous things because if we had have tried these things without the other guest we could have had just such an accident. However, the meals were lovely. The first night we made a booking and when we were told it was a seafood buffet. I love this but my husband does not but can generally get by with the a-la-cart menu which we were told (by a very intense young lady) we could not have. OK we have to eat so we got by my husband ate bread rolls with cheese and he was happy. Breakfast was beautiful. The lady who checked us in was so lovely it was like being in a different hotel. I cant remember her name. Then the lovliest young lady named Lauren was a breath of fresh air. So attentive and delightful not just to us but to others. She needs to be working on the evenings she would make people want to come back. The cleaning of the room wasn't anything special. They made the bed washed cups and replaced towels. There was a long black hair on the outside of the bowl of the toilet when we arrived. I watched it for the six days we were there so I gathered that the toiled was not cleaned either was the floor. I asked when the sheets would be changed on day 3 and she said oh! I could do it today if you like. Sorry about all this if my husband would have replied he would have said all ok!

1  Thank fussy531
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on previous occassions and have always found it to be of good value and great location, howver the Restaurant on previous occasions has excelled but on this visit the meals were well below standard and not what was written on the menu. i had the tomato prawn stew (bouillabaise) that was cold tasteless and to be blunt disgusting, the entree was a kangaroo pie with what tasted like boiled beef and no gravy, it took two glaases of water to wash this minicule pie crust down. the dessert was lychee three ways with tinned lyches used with out taking off the inside pith that comes off the stone. Breakfast was buffet with all hot food cold and when i asked for fried or poached eggs from the chef attempting to take temperatures to satify there HASAP regeme and was told that was not her job and ask someone else. I ended up only eating the cold food which was the sadest assortment for a buffet i have ever seen. even watch the female chef use her hands to stack the sweet cakes in the rack.

In all a Restaurant i will now not attend again and i will let my friends know as well.

If you think this is from a non food aware person, if my staff served that meal and the breakfast i would have sacked the lot and hired new staff. the head chef needs to be ashamed of himself even leting his staff serve swill.

The front of house staff deserve a medal for having to serve the food and had a very welcoming facade that should be congratulated.

1  Thank unbloodyhappy
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed here for one night, as I had business to attend to in Cairns. I had room 553, which is on the 5th floor, opposite the lifts.

My room was spacious, with a king size bed, with 4 pilliows, to choose from, (all had varying degrees of hardness/ softness). Room also possessed a balcony, which over looked the pool area. The room itself was clean and quiet. I did not have any problem sleeping from the bats (as previous reporters have written about). To be honest, I checked out at 9am and didn't hear any noise at all. Televsion worked, A/C was quiet and efficent - no complaints at all.

Check in/ out was easy as well.

The resort itself was in a good location, being a 5 min walk from the shopping area and about 10 min to the Esplanade.

Would I stay again, or recommend, yes I would!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thanks for taking the time to recommend the resort on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2012

excellent hotel,all staff and ammenities were world class,suitable for adults and family,loved the pool and beach with the swim up bar,this is where we will stay in cairns for our next holiday.Good gym, top restaurant

Reviewed 1 August 2012

The room looked ok when we walked in: nice and bright, clean linen, etc. But at closer look, there were tiny little ants walking around EVERYWHERE: the bedside table, the minibar, the bathroom counter, the walls... pretty gross. Made it so we couldn't store any food anywhere but inside the fridge. Also, early one morning we heard the alarm clock going off in the room next door... for 30 minutes! Obviously no one there, so we figured we'd just call the front desk to have them turn it off. When I picked up the phone, it didn't work! My partner had to walk downstairs (at 4 am!!) to the front desk to get help. Extrememly annoying. All that said though, the location was perfect: so close to everything. The price was alright (typically I don't expect to see bugs in the room unless the rate is < $100/night, but it was still ok). The pool was AMAZING. And the staff were friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

While I was pleased to read that you thought our pool was amazing and our staff were friendly I was disappointed to learn that our Housekeeping team had overlooked some important things, such as making sure your phone worked and getting rid of the ants. I wish to take this opportunity to apologize for any incovenience caused. Please rest assured that we shall take the steps necessary to ensure this remains an isolated incident.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide a higher standard of service the next time you stay at a Novotel hotel.

Yours sincerely,