“Very good value for money Japanese”
Review of Izakaya Goku

Izakaya Goku
Ranked #1,167 of 5,141 Restaurants in Brisbane
Reviewed 19 January 2018

We dropped in to this restaurant/cafe for lunch while shopping at West End. They had a lunch special with miso soup, choice of single plate main and a non-alcoholic drink for $15.

We didn't expect anything spectacular but the miso soup was probably the best I have had (and I have had miso soup in a lot of places). There was avery good choice of mains. I ordered karaage chicken.

The set price menu included ANY non alcoholic drink on the menu ... there was a good range of drinks including iced coffee, iced tea, some Japanese fruit drinksetc BUT they were all serve in the bottle. It would have been nicer to have it served in a glass (and it would have been less obvious that it hadcome out of a bottle. )

The chicken was EXCELLENT and the serving was LARGE..almost enough for 2 for lunch.

The service was very good, very friendly and polite (as with most Japanese restaurants).

The furnishing & decor are basic but pleasent and the aircon works!!

We will be going back for dinner!

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

The stand out dish for me was the complementary mellon pickles, so much so the waitress offered more which was accepted. For starters the Miso soup was delicious and the lotus root chips is highly recommended. I had the spicy kimchee pork hot pot, unfortunately the pork belly is bacon strips but it was very tasty. Deirdre had the Chicken teriyaki which was also great. Desert was black sesame ice cream and green tea rice cake ice cream well worth the extra calories. Nice selection of Japanese beers and sake. Go and enjoy

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed it. I had the beef Wagyu Sukiyaki. The meat was very soft. 1 star off because the meat was toooo thin. With wagyu I like to be a bit thicker cut. Great choice of Japanese beer and Sake. Friendly staff.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

I came back here after being impressed a few years ago and was gratified to see it was stil here and still good. What I liked is the excellent variety of reasonaby priced dishes. You can get great miso soup (a standard I use to judge quality), sushi, sishimi, okanamyaki and on it goes. I had 6 small dishes and all were great, well, maybe the tempura oci was a tad overdone.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I have eaten here a couple of times now and am as impressed as the first time I came. It has quite an extensive menu of Japanese favourites and the food is of a very high standard. I love the "lunchtime specials" that go from 12-5pm every day. That includes a main, a bowl of Miso soup and a soft drink. You can't do much better value than that in West End. My favourite is the Tempura Udon. The Tempura is delicious and the udon broth very light as it needs to be when eating with delicate tastes like Tempura. The service is very fast and friendly. Highly recommended and this will be one of my favourite stops when I'm down this way for work.