“Great meal”
Review of Izakaya Goku

Izakaya Goku
Ranked #1,168 of 5,145 Restaurants in Brisbane
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

The stand out dish for me was the complementary mellon pickles, so much so the waitress offered more which was accepted. For starters the Miso soup was delicious and the lotus root chips is highly recommended. I had the spicy kimchee pork hot pot, unfortunately the pork belly is bacon strips but it was very tasty. Deirdre had the Chicken teriyaki which was also great. Desert was black sesame ice cream and green tea rice cake ice cream well worth the extra calories. Nice selection of Japanese beers and sake. Go and enjoy

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed it. I had the beef Wagyu Sukiyaki. The meat was very soft. 1 star off because the meat was toooo thin. With wagyu I like to be a bit thicker cut. Great choice of Japanese beer and Sake. Friendly staff.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

I came back here after being impressed a few years ago and was gratified to see it was stil here and still good. What I liked is the excellent variety of reasonaby priced dishes. You can get great miso soup (a standard I use to judge quality), sushi, sishimi, okanamyaki and on it goes. I had 6 small dishes and all were great, well, maybe the tempura oci was a tad overdone.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I have eaten here a couple of times now and am as impressed as the first time I came. It has quite an extensive menu of Japanese favourites and the food is of a very high standard. I love the "lunchtime specials" that go from 12-5pm every day. That includes a main, a bowl of Miso soup and a soft drink. You can't do much better value than that in West End. My favourite is the Tempura Udon. The Tempura is delicious and the udon broth very light as it needs to be when eating with delicate tastes like Tempura. The service is very fast and friendly. Highly recommended and this will be one of my favourite stops when I'm down this way for work.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Go with a few people. Get a banquet. Have some Saki. Its great value, fine food. Lots of meat on sticks.