“good value”

Add it.
Zi Bar
Ranked #1,158 of 5,013 Restaurants in Brisbane
Reviewed 4 January 2017

first visit since the change from base to nomads had steak chips and vegies and a pint of guinness for 15 dollars very good pub grub even better than my last visit several months ago. on my way to the cricket the special bus leaves closebuy.staff were great very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

I've been living in the hostel above Zi Bar for nearly 3 months now, so it's naturally my go-to place if I'm in need of some food. However, I'm ashamed to say that it is only from laziness that I frequent this slow-serving, indifferently-staffed, sticky-floored 'restaurant'.

The menu is at times entirely different from what they actually serve, and I literally have no idea what I'll be paying for food each time I order, because some staff seem to be aware of discounts advertised around the hostel, others don't. Frequently, I'll be standing around, waiting to order, and not a single member of staff will appear for the next five minutes, and when they do arrive, there's no "I'm sorry to have kept you", it's just "what ya having?".

The wait times are the worst though. On numerous occasions my friends and I have been left waiting almost an hour for a relatively simple burger and chips meal. What prompted me to write this review, in fact, was just the latest 30 minute wait for a bacon and egg roll. Once again, there are no apologies, just "here", without even a smile.

Oddly though, there has been a couple of occasions where the food has been upon us before we even manage to sit down. At first, this seems excellent, before you realise that this means they've simply prepared the food in advance and chucked it in the microwave for 2 minutes.

This is not the sort of thing I'd usually do. I hate people who moan about the tiniest things, especially regarding restaurants, because having worked in hospitality all of my adult life, I do appreciate how difficult and stressful it can be. But unfortunately, these aren't tiny things to moan about. Every piece needed to make the 'good-service-puzzle' is missing. Staff don't know what they're doing and have poor attitude, food is slow and sometimes cold, and the menu displays various items which they simply don't serve. I have been coming here for 3 months and there have been no attempts to improve any of these problems.

I am nothing short of flabbergasted that no one else has given this place 2* or below, because everyone I've shared a room with in the hostel above describes very similar incidents regularly, and I literally observe people suffering with the same service as I just did, whilst I wait for my food. The only reason this place gets any merit at all is because on the unlikely occasion that the stars align and I actually receive my food AND it's still warm, some of the meals can be really very tasty.

Reviewed 1 May 2016

I ordered a beer in a different glass (round) and got served a tall. I ordered two meals, and collected my two beers for them, only to find they had only processed one meal which left my wife hungry. The response was simply an outright denial I had ordered two rather than an offer to fix it, so had to share my meal. Service was grumpy bordering on outright rude. No questions were asked about the meal.
In light of great experiences in the past, we will give this another go before giving up on it.

Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

This place is a hidden underneath the Base backpackers place, in a lovely old building. It's the best value venue i've found in Brisbane and the food is very very good. The staff are really friendly if a little busy at time but all the food I had here over several meals has been fantastic. Look for their deals also, their Burrito and Corona for $7 is a bit special.

Reviewed 13 July 2015

Visited here a few times during my stay at Base backpackers. The breakfast was awesome and the location is great for people watching during the day with its big open windows. Good value for money and lovely staff.