“Overnight City Stay”

The Sebel Brisbane
Ranked #32 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We booked a premier balcony two bedroom suite. While it was close to the shops etc this is what we were after. It is very expensive for a basic motel room. They are not luxury but are very overpriced considering. Small balcony no seating, small bathrooms no room to move. We ate in the restaurant the staff were friendly, food was nice, the service was a bit slow considering there were not many people in it. We also got room service and that seemed to be extremely slow. It is very basic amenities considering the price, I would look elsewhere next time. We have stayed at the King George Sebel many times but tried this one as the other could not guarantee a balcony which we prefer and it is basically within the same walking distance. No WiFi for business travelers did have broadband but unless you have the modem is useless for the IPad which is the convienient way to travel nowadays.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mad101
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

A nice hotel but despite the name these are not suites, rather relatively small rooms. Adequate for a casual stay but certainly not for business or longer stays. The rooms are small with the table under the wall mounted television screen. This is impractical if working with the television on in the background.

The pool was cold but the surrounds do get some sun at certain times of the day and unlike many Brisbane hotels which provide 2 sun lounges, there were about 6. Pools are clearly for swimming and not relaxing.

The location is very central , only a block away from the main Queen St shopping mall, a couple of blocks from the casino, 3 blocks form the river side restaurants at Eagle St Pier and about an easy 20 -25 minute walk ( or 5 minute taxi ride) to South Bank where the enormous “beach swimming pool” and surrounding restaurants are a must on a hot lazy Queensland day.

In summary, a well located generic hotel room with adequate service and facilities.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear SaleenXTRM, thank you for your feedback and we are always happy to read balanced comments about guests' experiences. We are pleased to note you enjoyed our central location and other aspects of the hotel. Judging from your comment about the term "suites", you stayed in one of our studios. Whilst comfortable and of the same decor standard as our apartment 'suites', I am sure you will find the latter much more spacious and suitable for a longer visit. These comprise over 75% of our inventory, so in this sense we are more aligned with many 'all suite' hotels, as they are often termed. Please feel free to contact me personally and it would be my pleasure to upgrade you at no extra charge on your next visit. Thank you again for your valuable feeback.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

I used to love staying at the Sebel Suites. Then the gfc hit. Even when the massive building site opposite started work at stupid o clock, I stuck with t and brought many customers with me. Even when the I room dining was replaced by microwave meals I stuck with it. Even when the staff left spit rubbish on my floor and old room service trays stank out the floors until early evening I stuck with it. Finally after 4 years of loyal patronage I gave up? Why? Well it's convenient, good food nearby, great pub across the way......parking is easy etc.....my issue is that you get charged for things you didn't do and when you complain thE manager Tom tells you tough luck. I await it's return to former glories. Great location, bad management, no concept of executive key account management. Try the emporium, Novotel or treasury, they get it.

Room Tip: Go else where until they improve. Failing that any end suite from 16 upwards.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Alan E
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear Alan E, we thank you for your review and will certainly look into your concerns should you wish to make contact with me directly and provide additional information - particularly regarding your remarks about having been charged incorrectly, as I am very surprised about the reaction you have perceived from myself and the hotel. I also note that your review states that you stayed back in June 2011, so we would be very keen to learn more about what has prompted your thoughts at this stage. Please be assured that we will look into the issues directly and diligently if you wish us to pursue them, as we would for any customer.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and we were quite dissatisfied with our accommodation. Paying $299 a night for the top floor executive room I would expect to be able to open the bathroom door more than halfway without it hitting the toilet, the room is cramped and poky.
I am 5 feet 8" and the shower head came to my chin! Also I expect when they state that it is a "king bed" it not be 2 singles pushed together. The service and cleanliness is quite poor, (the people in the next room had in room breakfast and their dirty plates sat at our door until we moved them even though the cleaner had apparently "refreshed" our room)! The location is very convenient but I would recommend the Hilton for a bit more money any day which I could never fault! I'm deffinately going back there next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Abi W

Dear Abi W, thank you for sharing your thoughts following your stay with us. We are naturally disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your visit. Our studio rooms account for only a quarter of our hotel's inventory and whilst they are the equivalent size to a standard hotel room elsewhere, one of our prime features is our one bedroom apartments, which are very spacious and comfortable. This room type also features a full king or queen bed, as opposed to a split king in the studios, which allows for twin configuration. Should you wish to make contact with me directly, I would be more than happy to address your specific concerns and offer an incentive to return, including an upgrade to a one bedroom apartment with our compiments. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Hotel is in a fantastic location if you are doing buisness in the city, rooms are modern, clean and very roomy ( I was given a suite).
My only concern was the internet, i could not get on and when i rang reception to ask there comment was it should be.

Thinking it was my computer i took it to get looked at and got the all clear and when i checked out my colleuges had the same problems, if they want to be a buisness hotel must get the internet fix, rest is great.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear MattyG69, thank you for your comments and it is great to see that our hotel meets your needs when travelling to Brisbane on business. However, we completely understand the importance of a fast and reliable internet connection to our business guests. We believe we have pin-pointed the underlying issue that was recently causing you and your colleagues difficulty and we are speaking with our internet provider right now to have it rectified as soon as possible. We hope to resolve it quickly and trust we will see you again soon. We would welcome you contacting us directly following your next visit, to confirm this has improved.