“Traditional, but that's not a bad thing.”
Review of Royal On The Park

Royal On The Park
Ranked #29 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 14 April 2012

After a slightly false start (3 attempts to code the key to my room), this proved to be a pleasant, comfortable business hotel. Opposite the Botanical Gardens, this hotels med 70's exterior hides a traditional fitout that is surprisingly appealing after a long dat. The rooms are large, well appointed and the restaurant in the hotel provides a very nice (though not inexpensive) dinner option. A better than average breakfast make this a good all round option for inner city Brisbane.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
ROTP_RDM, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review!

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our new hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 April 2012

A great place to stay with comfortable beds, friendly staff and great location. Just a few short blocks from the Queen Street Mall - accessible but away from the bustle of the city. Opposite the Botanic Gardens and just a few minutes walk to the Eagle Street Pier restaurant precinct and ferries - there's lots of options for things to do without having to get in a car. Highly recommended and it will be my first choice for our regular trips to Brisbane.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us!

It’s great to see that you found our team members friendly and our location for exploring Brisbane.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I found this hotel and its' quite nice. The staff at check in and check out were very helpful and courteous. The room was large and the bed very comfortable. It had a huge fluffy doona (...helpful in Queensland) that was so cozy. The furnishings were comfortable and had a bit of a plush feel.

The bathroom was renovated, but you could easily see that it was a renovation of an old style bathroom. It had heaps of bench space and the shower was hot and had great water pressure.

The breakfast was disappointing. I ordered room service toast and croissants. The croissants were quite nice, but the toast was foul! Although hot, it was absolutely stale and rock hard.

I may stay there again as the location was very good- across the road from the botanic gardens and a close to the city.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us!

We are pleased to see that at all interactions you found our team members helpful and professional.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your bathroom and found all its amenities and features up to your expectation.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I work for a global medical corporation and have visitors from inter-state and international need to travel to Brisbane. I mentioned on check-in that I needed to find a place for both myself and our many work visitors to stay and use regularly. I need to come to Brisbane (from Sunshine Coast) and stay quite frequently to work with our Brisbane team. It happened that our son needed to be in Brisbane for an operation, so I took the opportunity to stay at the hotel and review it whilst there. I have other family members who were looking for a hotel as well, as they weren't happy with the ultra-modern refurbishments of hotels in Brisbane city, so I needed to review for them. Thinking I had finally found a place that certain family members would be happy with, the elegant decor and location and options on the menus I had viewed, I was feeling confident that we had found a hotel we could all use frequently. Unfortunately, that's where it all ended ... on examination of everything that occurred during our short stay, I think the main fault would have to be poor communication on all levels, beginning with at check-in being told the car park was at the opposite end to where it was located. At breakfast on Saturday morning, we went to the buffet to see a very long line of nearly all breakfast diners, and no eggs out, no toast, no bacon and a stressed out restaurant manager, who did deal with the situation, but it certainly was slow. When I noticed there was no soy milk out, I mentioned there were 2 people at our table who were lactose intolerant and if I could please have some soy milk (I had enjoyed a soy milk cappuccino in the lounge bar the night before - excellent service from Tommy too!, so I knew they had soy milk) ... the manager needed to get the food out, so I had to wait quite a long time for the milk. In the meantime, my coffee went ice cold. I was even thinking of walking up to our room and making a coffee up there, because it would have been quicker, and I had soy milk upstairs. Then, my breakfast was cold waiting so long (I need a drink when I eat) - the milk arrived ... but he brought me skim milk. I didn't realise until I had it in 2 cups of coffee. Also, when I went approached the coffee machine to pour another cup of coffee, the Manager said “Oh, you can’t use it – we are waiting for more milk”. There was a large line up again at the second coffee machine. I had to explain that I just needed the water, which was fully operable and he replied, “Oh that’s right, you have skim milk”. Once again, the communication skill of "listening" was absent. We took our children for a swim in the pool and I started having abdominal cramps - no doubt from the lactose I was served ... went to our room ... and we were locked out. I, a middle aged woman dressed up for an afternoon appointment, had to sit on the floor in the hallway outside our room and wait for my husband and one child to go down and get sorted. The cleaner just kept staring at me - surely if you are a staff member, there obviously is a problem, and you would approach the guest and see if you could sort ??? My husband said when he approached the lady at reception and said we had been locked out, he said she was obnoxious and full of attitude and said "That's because it is passed check out time". My husband had to show her the paperwork which proved we had paid for late check-out, then she only wanted to update one room card, instead of the two cards we were issued with. As he approached me sitting in the hallway, he said "We are not ever staying here again!". Instead of taking advantage of the late check-out we grabbed our gear and got out of there immediately. I was so over being there and the kids were stressed - especially the one who had the operation - he was supposed to be there recooperating and getting rest. Someone said to me - "Pure Gold on the hotel's behalf!". We encountered in our time there, 3 staff who excelled in customer service, but the others were bogans. You can market the hotel as much as you like as up-market and decorate it in nice furniture, but if you don't have 100% of staff on board and giving a great service, then what's the point in spending all the money on refurbishments and advertising. Word of mouth speaks. The cleaner approached us as we were leaving and asked us if we were going, and I said "yes". She said, "well they haven't told me to clean your room - it's not down to be cleaned today". Firstly, what does that have to do with us and secondly, I am imaging a surprise for the next guests assigned to the room! Also, my eldest son fell into the mud when we visited the park, so I obtained the correct number of $1 coins to run a washing load in the laundry, plus laundry detergent and use of the dryer - $7 in coins. The laundry powder machine had 2 dispensers - the first one ate my money and the powder seemed jammed in there. I had to use another of the coins in the other dispenser (which worked), but then I didn't have enough to use to complete the washing and drying cycles. I sent my eldest son to reception as I was in the laundry to sort out, but they didn't send anyone to un-jam the detergent dispenser and they wouldn't give him another $1 coin for me. So, the next person would have had the same problem as I did! I had to wear a wet skirt the next day. In our room - the beds were comfy, and the room service food was of a high standard. But the complimentary shower cap was missing out of the box in the bathroom - I had curled my hair and went to get the shower cap out of the box to have a shower, but it was empty and had to have a shower without one and had to recurl my hair again. At check-out, I wasn't asked at all "How was my stay?" and no talking to me at all. Maybe it was the lady who my husband encountered to fix us being locked out, and maybe she recognised our son with me? Maybe she wasn't game to ask me? Yes, we were all disappointed and I have to now submit my review to my employer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dale B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to share your opinion.

As you can see from the reviews of many others on this forum, our guests recognise the commitment to service we provide and this is usually a point of difference in our reviews. I am deeply saddened to see that our usual high standards of service delivery have not been afforded to you.

I offer my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced and would be more than happy to invite you back to the hotel with my compliments so I can showcase our award winning team to you and provide that they are capable of much much more.

Please contact myself directly at anytime on 07 3221 3411 if you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

The Royal On The Park is not a bad hotel. It's just an average one and a bit too expensive for what you get (in comparison to the other hotels we stayed in during our 3 weeks in Australia).

The good:
- The location is nice, you're really close to Queen St. and facing the beautiful Botanic garden
- Our room (fourth floor) was quiet

The bad:
- The room was really dusty..
- The bathroom time traveled from the 70s.. Nothing against the 70s but this one was really not in good shape. Looked like an antique Eastern Germany bathroom
- The service was disappointing. We asked basic questions about things to do around Brisbane to various people at the reception desk and they only gave us a few leaflets.. None of them seemed familiar with the region
- Internet rates are outrageously high if you're used to European/US hotels. It's apparently usual in Australia..

One morning, the fire alarm rang inside the whole hotel.. It was a test but we haven't been notified in advance. It's not a nice way to wake your customers up. It wasn't early in the morning but as we were still tired from the long flight we slept a bit longer. Anyway: they should let their customer know in advance.

We won't stay there again. I'm sure Brisbane can offer much better for less money ( at least we found it in Melbourne and Sydney).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
ROTP_RDM, Manager at Royal On The Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank for your taking the time to provide us with your feedback – we hoped you enjoyed your time in Australia!

I was disappointed to learn that you did not find our team knowledgeable regarding activities in Brisbane – we do invest much in their training and product knowledge and we often conduct team building and training exercises based on activities that our guests can do whilst in Brisbane. As you can see from other guests comments, usually our Front Office team are not only exemplary in their provision of service, but also very knowledgeable in their local culture. Please do accept my apologies for the shortcomings in the service you have received – I will ensure our Front Office Manager conducts some training exercises on basic attractions within Brisbane to avoid another guest experiencing this.

I was also saddened to see that the cleanliness of your room was not up to your standards. We have recently begin a preventative maintenance program where team members from all departments outside of housekeeping, perform spot checks on the cleanliness of our rooms at random. This data is collated on our iPads and monthly the management will review the summary data for any cleanliness issues that we need to target. I will discuss your specific incident with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that our high standards are being maintained in terms of room dust.

With regards to the comments you made about the Fire Alarm – as per legislation we do conduct two fire drills per year to ensure our team are trained in emergency situations. A letter advising all guests of this was dropped to every room on the Sunday at around 2pm – however our team must have missed your room. Please again accept my apologies for this – I too would not appreciate that type of wake up call and agree that all guests should be given advance notice.

Whilst we certainly did experience some shortfalls in our usual levels of service which are inexcusable, I was happy to see that our location was good for you and that you found your newly soundproofed room very quiet.

Thank you again for your stay and your feedback – I hope that I can now use your experience as a training tool with our team to ensure that we are always ensuring that Service comes First.