“Great to meet people”

Ranked #42 of 49 Speciality Lodging in Darwin
london
“Great to meet people”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I stayed there for a long time 2x3weeks. Most of people are there for a long stay. So everybody knows everybody. It's like a family atmosphere. But this hostel looks dirty even if people are cleaning everyday. The kitchen closed at 9.30pm which is way too early. There no wifi.
The pool is really cool and location too, just 3min from the supermarket.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
, Guest Relations Manager at Frogshollow, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Thankyou for your review,

we are indeed a place where most people choose to stay a few weeks and others a month or so. I am glad we could be there for you.
Oh and we now have wifi availiable for your devices - just chat to the reception desk for a key and pay the weekly wifi or daily wifi price. It is a very secure wifi so does not appear to prompt for a password. Sory for that.
I hope you are keeping intouch with all the friends you made at frogs. Remember our facebook page is a good way to find your mates and remember you are welcome to upload any current pics you have of your stay at frogs.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chumphon, Thailand
Reviewed 28 November 2011

What can I say about Frogs? I had first heard about it in my Footprint Australia guide book. It was the only hostel that received a five star rating. First let me exclaim: this is a Laid Back hostel. There is nothing fancy here, and that's why I fell in love with it. I had also been told to stay at Frogs by my travel companions on the way to Darwin. When I arrived the office was closed but they opened up and booked me anyway. I didn't have a credit card handy and they booked me anyway and told me to pay them in the morning. I found work in Darwin and stayed at Frogs for several more weeks.. here is why:

Frogs is just big enough to have a solid amount of people but not so big they drive you nuts and it has a cozy atmosphere to it since it is surrounded by a canopy of trees. I think the place used to be a hotel I'm not sure. It has two floors and it is just one long building. There is a pool in the back which is under the trees and there are two small pools (I think they should be hot tubs but they aren't hot and plus it was already hot in Darwin so we didn't want hot water in them). You get to know everyone. Frogs doesn't have a ton of rules. You can bring your own alcohol in and out and people have a social gathering on the back tables every night. There are cards and music and its just a light hearted gathering. It's not incredibly loud at night either and that is awesome so there is the best of both worlds because they will ask you to keep it down if you are drunk and loud. The kitchen is reasonable and they have some pots and pans. What I love the most is that they don't throw things out and they have a lost and found. If food is left at the hostel they put it out for the community to use. They also have a huge lost and found in the front which most hostels just throw stuff out. They have a book exchange as well and a computer to use the internet which was free when I went (although it did have a slot to pay and everyone said that it was broken so it was free at the time). They have large industrial fridge space so there is room for everyone's food. The showers were great and cleaned every day. They do not help you find work so don't believe that. They have a notice board and I know several people who worked at the hostel for free accommodation. I have been traveling alone and when I got to Frogs I immediately made a "family" of friends. It's a little bit out of the main drag which is great because it adds to its personality as a hidden gem. Most people don't even know its there. Frogs grew on me quickly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank ToddOwenWaldorf
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in an 8 bed dorm. We had booked before and said we were arriving at night. When we got there it was teeming with people and the reception was shut, so after a while we found the night person and eventually got to our room. They could've said you have to do this this and this on the email! The room was dirty with thick dust and lots of big cobwebs, there's not enough space for everyone to put there bags and the outside balcony areas are filled with cigarette butts and broken beer bottles and hair! The bathroom is really bad again hair everywhere, showers not working and very mouldy. The kitchen is a box of rubbish and very messy and the lounge area just smells! We didn't see any cleaners and the receptionist was always in a bad mood.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BigTrip11

Travellers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 5 October 2011

this place was dirty, the bathrooms were not clean, a big cokroach welcomed us in the reception (which the lady responded with the raid spray to), people were drinking and smoking outside our room almost all night, made a lot of noise and the whole room smelled like beer. the double cost us more than 70 aud per night, certainly not worth it! there doesn't seem to be anyone in charge at night times in the hostel so everyone just does whatever they want. i recommend everyone to stay away unless you are looking for a party place with low hygenical expections.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2011

It seemed the general consensus of the couple of dozen or so people unfurtunate to find themselves there at the time I was there that this place is a bit of dive (i.e. unclean, unkept, dirty, unhygienic, unsafe). There seemed to be little care from the staff and the little work that was done to keep the place tidy was done by guests wanting to reduce their rates. I was at the better part of the hostel, and it was still terrible.

The health department of the N.T. should be inspecting this place and issuing violations of many, many codes. Toilets and bathrooms seemed to be rarely serviced and expecting toilet paper seems to be setting a target too high. Stairways can be blocked, noise not managed (very noisy at all hours), tile floors usually wet and slippery. One might feel lucky to walk away from this place without an illness or injury. Not worth the money.

Definitely suggest others choose something elsewhere, based on experience from the many, many hostels that I have stayed in around the world.

I even noticed an undercover bicycle storage area had been used as a car trailer space. The pool was badly fenced and I'm not sure the water was properly treated. Garden waste was left lying un-managed in pne corner of the yard. A little effort would go a long way at this place. An un-fixed vending machine at Frogs Hollow had a note (warning) on it from someone (a guest) that 'it takes your money and gives you nothing' - sums up the hostel pretty well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo