“My 2 days there”

Darwin Central Hotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 9 July 2012

They were good to me, nice people friendly people I stayed 2 days there got to kn ow everybody its very central as the name suggests.Nice clean room I stayed in the disabled access room which was adequate, the ladies who cleaned my room were very nice and polite.

Room Tip: nt sure my room was fine I was satisfied nice and big
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your recent review.

It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly and helpful. Thank you for your comments about the cleanliness of your room and the suitability of the hotel for your needs.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Michelle Davidson

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

This was a clean, well-kept hotel. Corridors are dingy (looks like a hostel!) but fortunately the rooms themselves are better.The beds were really comfortable and I slept well. Rooms are secure and safe. The staff are generally efficient (although not the friendliest at times) and respond to requests quite quickly. They were not all that knowledgable or helpful with other bookings or suggestions. Biggest dud was the compulsory valet service for cars - had to get them to go down and pick up your car while you waited rather than taking off whenever you wanted to. Not great when its a rental that you've agreed not to let anyone else drive... And $15 extra a day... But good facilities in hotel...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your feedback.

The Darwin Central Hotel has been undertaking a refurbishment programme over the past 3 years. We are coming to the final stages with the new carpet being rolled out soon. We have focused on our guest rooms with upgrading bathrooms, beds, window dressings and entertainment systems. We have also installed wireless internet and new machines in our guest laundry. We still have a number of items to complete but we are very pleased with the results to date.

Thank you for your comments regarding our staff and we are certainly looking at some additional training to enhance their knowledge.

Currently the hotel only offers valet car parking for its guests. As we share the car park with other tenants of the Darwin Central Hotel complex, we are unable to offer a self parking service. Due to our central location, we are able to advise alternate parking options for our guests, that are close to the hotel.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Darwin sometime soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Our room was very spacious with it's own kitchenette and plenty of room to store luggage. Bathroom was clean and modern looking. Air-conditioning was more than adequate and quiet at night. Location seemed very quiet even though one side of hotel is on main road, we heard few noises from our 2nd floor room. However we were there on weekdays so weekends may be different. There are smells in the lobby from the ground floor restaurants but they didn't get into the rooms themselves (we liked the smells anyway). Service was great and breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamandTassie2014
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your review.

What a pleasure to hear that the hotel met your expectations and you were very happy with the rooms, cleanliness, staff and breakfast.

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments and letting us know about your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed there this past week with my Dad and had booked 2 joining rooms. The lady handling the booking was lovely and did me a great deal. Unfortunately, upon checking in, I was charged $600 more than quoted and Joy was very rude. They said they could not access the quote I had been sent and I could not access my internet. They also put a $100 per person hold on your credit card, so be warned.
Their internet is very expensive ($25per day and $66 per week) but not not support Mac products, so I my wi-fi only ipad was useless.
The airconditioner was broken and stayed at somewhere around 17deg c all week, despite my reporting it 3 times. Joy advised me to 'turn it off'. So when it got stuffy, I would put on my 2 jumpers and run it for a while. Next door my Dad's was fine. When I tried to get the porter to look into the problem the first time, he obviously had difficulty understanding me.
My room was made up with the bed only half made one day and I felt like a criminal when I commented upon it to reception.
Upon checking out they tried to charge us for the movie package, which we did not utilise. I had taken the precaution of having the mini bar removed.
They have signs advertising their Waterhole Bar, but it is only open for Breakfast for a couple of hours. No bar at all.
For the price I would expect better and if Darwin hadn't been completely booked out I would have moved.
The rooms and ensuites were very roomy and modern but there is no view and we were on the top floor. I had a cheaper, better holiday at Broadbeach on the Gold Coast at Christmas. I think Darwin accommodation needs a reality check. It is way overpriced.
Would I recommend it? Only if nothing else was available.

Room Tip: Book the 7th floor as it is a mezzanine style hotel and all other floors are open to the noise from...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank woosi
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed that your overall experience has been well below our acceptable standard. I would like to assure you that I will look into all of your feedback and ensure that we can learn from this experience and make improvements.

This feedback is valuable to us to learn and ensure that we provide a consistent high level of customer service.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your contribution.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

The Darwin Central Hotel is the first hotel I have checked into in Australia that requires photo ID for domestic travellers. This is invasive, and simply not needed (unless the guest turns up unable to verify their booking, but sheesh since when was this a major problem?)

While I'm being critical I'll run through my other gripes, but to be fair there are a lot of good points which I'll get to shortly. Other annoyances;

- I called Room Service and it rang forever without being answered. Repeat and same thing. So I called reception and was put through right away, so maybe the direct dial is not working?

- Room service call before they head up with your order. Kind of weird as I know I am expecting food, but maybe they have their reasons for this. Again, a first in any hotel for me.

- The air-con is noisey. So much so I have to turn it off at night as it stops me sleeping. Then it warms up and I have to turn it back on.

- The shower was not hot, in fact I took a shower without having to turn the cold tap on at all. And it never got passed lukewarm = big-time fail.

But now the good things;

- Rooms are surprisingly big. Space in a room is a good thing, and these rooms are generous by today's standards.

- Clean and tidy, no complaints about the standards here

- Smoke free. Has a novel line on check in that you sign to agree to be fined $100 if you smoke inside. Amusing and effective!

- Friendly and helpful staff.

All up, I'd recommend the hotel. Some people have raved that it is central, well what's not in Darwin, this is a compact city after all, but they have a point as the hotel is a short walk to everything in the CBD. It's good value, and is worth a repeat visit, but if they fixed the hot water, quietened the air-con, and dropped the stupid photo ID it would tick all the boxes. None of these are reason to avoid it though - you should have a good stay here, and feel you money was well spent.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jay E
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay.

It is disappointing that you have encountered some issues during your stay and we certainly hope to address these. I have noted your comments about the air-con and the hot water and will have this investigated by team. We are happy for you to bring these matters to our attention during your stay so we can minimise the inconvenience to you.

I am pleased that you found the rooms spacious and clean the staff friendly and helpful.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience.