“Sashimi was amazing”

Kiyo
Ranked #600 of 6,794 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 36
Reviewed 5 March 2018

My partner and I ordered quite a few of the fresh items off the menu, Silken Tofu, Pickled Cucumbers, Garden Salad, Octopus Carpaccio, Sashimi and Green Tea Ice Cream. Everything was amazing. My partner and I discussed that next time we would order everything the same, except maybe we would change the Octopus Carpaccio, it was tasty, but I would be keen to try the Salmon Carpaccio. However, since the Sashimi already has Salmon it might be a Salmon overload.

The staff were friendly, the setting was very relaxed. The smells of the cooked food were amazing. We were sat by the window, which unfortunately was overlooking another couple sitting outside. It was a bit weird.

After the meal I had the chance to speak to the owner / head chef and he was very excited talking to me about where the various sashimi were sourced from. It was great to see such excitement, he clearly cares about the food.

I can't wait to go back and try other things on the menu.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

We went there while in Sydney on holiday as recommended by a friend and were not disappointed. The food was some of the best Japanese food i've had outside of Japan. All staff were friendly and welcoming, and we found the prices very reasonable considering the quality. Will definitely go back next time we're in Sydney.

1  Thank Sam M
Reviewed 13 October 2017

The food and service in this place is amazing! I love it love it. I don't know if it is because it near the fish markets or if it is just the good old fashioned Japanese tradition of quality and service but it never disappoints. Hidden away in the back streets of Pyrmont, you would never know that it was there.

1  Thank traveller07700900461
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

As expected from a quality Japanese restaurant, the food and service were excellent. We always enjoy going back there.

1  Thank Gregory J H
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

A Tuesday evening in Pyrmont saw us wander into this recently reopened venue without a booking. Clutching our byo bottle we were warmly welcomed by the staff who were thoughtfully patient whilst we reviewed the menu.
The shared KFC style fried chicken was hot and crisp and succulent. Main dishes included salmon and chicken teriyaki and a chicken katsu each hit the spot with the katsu being accompanied by a simple salad. We went for the sizzling fried rice which served 3 and had an egg added at the table by the capable waitress
Attention to detail was appreciated - the pellet of wasabi atop a sliver of radish, the tiny and perfectly round capsicum slices and the presentation overall was excellent

Pricing was good and the whole experience over-delivered. In terms of improvement options some background music might have been nice and perhaps a tad more effort on internal decor. Staff couldn't be faulted.