“We waited and waited”

The Sebel Pier One
Ranked #1,520 of 5,839 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brisbane, Australia
“We waited and waited”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

My son and I arranged to meet some friends for dinner at 7:30pm on New Year's Day. My son was hungry, so I asked for some bread at 7:40. Our friends arrived at 7:45. We placed our orders for entrees, mains and wine at 8:00. The bread arrived at 8:45, with olive oil. We had no serviettes and I saw another patron go to get her wine bottle to serve herself more wine. Because the oil was likely to drip, I went and got serviettes from a servingtable. The entrees arrived about 9:00. We had finished the entrees before the wine arrived about 9:15. When the mains arrived about 10:00, the duck and the steak were overcooked. The waitress apologised and said that the kitchen was overwhelmed with room service orders. She did not charge for the duck or the wine. It was a public holiday, with penalty rates for staff, but we could have been warned of delays. Moreover, there were plenty of wait staff, but the service was the slowest I have encountered outside of the Iron Curtain.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Tim C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Sydney Australia
“ok - just ok”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

This place is very average. Had birthday lunch here with my family and the food was ok. Priced a bit high for the quality. Really, if there is another place to go, try it instead. I live in Sydney and wouldn't go back.

• Visited December 2011
Perth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Anniversary Flop”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2008

We booked into the Sebel Pier 1 on Anzac Day and decided to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary together at the Front Restaurant, which is "in-house", opposite the hotel foyer. The booking was for 8pm, but when we arrived we were asked to wait while their limited staff set up a table for 8 other people. We were asked to wait in the Bar area, however, we were not offered a complimentary drink even though we had to wait until 8.40pm to be seated. The red wine we ordered was not available and neither was the crusted lamb on the specials menu that was also ordered.
Finally our entrees arrived. 2 Prawns with some garnish for my husband at approx. $22 ($11 per prawn) and 2 Scallops ($22) for my self at $11 per scallop. They were just warm. In place of the lamb I ordered a medium to well-done steak which was served with risotti . I received a "rare" steak which after being sent back to be re-cooked was good (approx $34). Meanwhile, my husband's meal was going cold and we wanted to eat together. Not to worry, his meal wasn't worth eating. He ordered one of the "specials" - Monkfish with prawn and scallop. On his plate was a piece of fish the size of a fishfinger, one prawn and one scallop. The fish tasted like it has been quickly thawed, very watery with no fish flavour (approx $34). Fortunately, we shared the steak but the whole experience has left a nasty taste (pardon the pun).

The waiter (female) was excellent and obviously embarrassed that the food was so disappointing.

Earlier in the day we had ordered chicken panini from the bar and it was well presented and delicious and probably came from the same kitchen. The bar staff namely Koen was excellent and asked us the next day how our dinner had been the night before!

1 Thank Morgan47Perth