“Cute, tasty, must-try”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed 3 July 2016

I love Le Pelican! I've been walking past this cute little restaurant for years and a year ago finally decided to try it out, based on a recommendation from a friend. I have been back numerous times. It's $50 for two courses, or $60 for three with the option to BYO or they have a great variety of French wines to try.
Last week we went for a romantic date night. This time my partner tried the duck while I tried the smoked ocean trout. It was so tasty, beautifully cooked and came with a delicious French potato thingy. We enjoyed a bottle of French rose to go accompany.
Dessert is by far my favourite, I can't go past the chocolate fondant. For any chocolate lover this is a must-try. Cooked to perfect, I would go back time and time again for this.
The service at Le Pelican is always great, with the staff friendly and helpful with the menu. It is often busy but this plays to the French charm of the restaurant.

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

We live not far from le pelican and to be honest being French I don't often bother eating French on Sydney. Each time I have tried le pelican it was packed but this time they had a table for us! We were not disappointed. A little expensive and with a few extra but the quality was great. The bouillabaisse was delicious! Great service friendly staff. In a nice part trendy Sydney

Reviewed 23 June 2016

A couple of mates and I decided to go for a nice meal and night out and with some research ended up at Le Pelican. Being not an adventurous eater, I struggled somewhat with the menu but stuck with the duck and the chicken and had a great meal. The breads were excellent as well and the service was good - very straight to the point with no sense of humour but no issues. We were three pub blokes sitting at the worlds smallest table with a candle in the middle of us so it would have looked a bit strange. Wouldn't be back with my mates but would bring the Mrs here.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

Either the other reviews here are possibly fake or something has changed dramatically in the kitchen here.

We had a very poor meal:
- Escargot: tasteless and deep fried in breadcrumbs
- Pate: a bland terrine with no evidence of fois gras accompanied with a roll which possibly came from Woolworths
- Duck: overcooked and rubbery
- Bouillabaise: bland, stale croutons, small

Very expensive for such poor fayre.

2  Thank Malcolm L
Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

We booked a table for 6 people at Le Pelican to celebrate my partner's 50th birthday and had a terrific night. Small, interesting menu, great flavours and generous helpings. Service was very good and the lovely room had a great ambience. 3 courses for $60 was amazing value for food of this standard and BYO was a huge plus. Thanks to Jean-Francois and his staff for a memorable evening. Can't wait to go back!