All reviews kensington street rooftop pool social restaurant design hotel glass shower industrial design central station loft room lack of privacy hotel guests bar downstairs amazing hotel surry hills comfortable bed the ground floor bars and restaurants sydney hotel
Reviewed 9 February 2016

Room is beautifully appointed with original design furniture, excellent beds and large bathroom. Attention to detail is excellent - we stayed in first floor room overlooking Kensington st. The bar is terrific and staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The Kensington St Social restaurant within the complex is great - a very memorable experience.
Its a very thoughtful conversion of the old hotel and the rooftop bar and pool is a fantastic escape from the bustling city crowds and traffic. Lots of people come here for a drink after work or a swim (open to the public after 3).

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dimitri G
Reviewed 7 February 2016

I stayed here for one night on business, the hotel is quite new and in an area of regeneration (there is a lot of work going on around it). Check-in was easy (although I really don't like the $100 charge to your credit card). The room (122) was for me the highlight - very large comfy bed with a good selection of pillows. As others have noted in this room the shower is glassed walled and therefore open to the bedroom, the toilet has a frosted glass wall. This is a room for one person or a couple! I didn't try the roof top pool or bar but the main bar was busy and nicely designed. Two very nice bathrobes were provided and the room had a safe and free Wi-Fi.

I would definitely return (in fact I would have this week except the rooms were over $100 more expensive!).

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2016 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights after a cruise. Found the location ideal as it was nearby to Central Station so you could visit almost anywhere in Sydney with ease. The newly-opened hotel itself was surprisingly very comfortable as it's not often the case with boutique hotels. Good size rooms (we were given a 2-floor upstairs bedroom with a really comfortable bed and great shower/bath facility. The free wifi should be standard in every hotel. Nice creative touches throughout, including the "bank vault" display, gave a hotel a special
feel. Would definitely return if we are in Sydney.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gohtrip
Reviewed 4 February 2016

So we checked in at the Old Clare Hotel in room 113 which is the 'Show Room Suite'.

All the other shortfalls of this hotel might have been forgiven if only the customer service was somewhere passable. The reception to put it mildly did not make us feel welcome at all. We were rushed through as though our arrival was an inconvenience, and when I was asking what was on this weekend in Sydney the answer was a very short "I have no idea - please follow me to your room." At any other 'luxury hotel' I might have expected the reception staff to recommend some activities in town! The hotel reservation actually called us earlier that week to ask if we would like to upgrade to the 113 suite for an extra charge and we specifically said that we would rather not as we preferred the room we actually booked. But when we arrived, they announced that they took the liberty of upgrading us anyway (free of charge, granted), explaining that the room we originally booked was taken.

The hotel staff's one redeeming gesture might have been the 'personal welcome note' which was left for us in the room. It was written nicely in hand... on the back of a cardboard coaster. A fitting cherry on the top, for one of the worst customer service we have probably ever experienced at a hotel.

So many hard to ignore details are displeasing about the hotel and the room (which I mentioned earlier is their 'Show Room'). As for accessing the narrow laneway entrance to this hotel, our poor taxi driver was stuck on Kensington Street for 10 minutes because the street is only wide enough for one vehicle, one of the hotel guests had parked their car blocking the street.

As for our room, the first thing we notice is that on this Thursday night, we could hear all the loud goings on of the bar right down stairs - the windows were single glazed, and provided no sound proofing at all. Going to fill up the bathtub, we were wondering why the water wasn't heating up, and we discover that the hot/cold indicator was installed backwards! Again I am emphasising that this is a $1000 per night 'Show Room Suite'. It was nice of the hotel to include a Nespresso machine in the room, but unfortunately they placed it inside a tiny shelf that required you to take the whole machine out to be able to put a capsule in - in their defence I understand that the reason for this was because the cabinet was restored from an antique, but I wonder that there was no other solution for this.

Conclusion: The only pleasant takeaway we have from The Old Clare Hotel is its nice decorations, which unfortunately does not make up for its poor attention to important details and its nonexistent customer service. Does not come close to justifying its overpriced rates.

Room Tip: dont choose room on kingsinton street side at least ! Omg ! cant sleep all night!
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank Bloggers_Boyfriend
Reviewed 31 January 2016

I booked a Connell Room, which was large and spacious, with the only thing absent is probably the bathtub you get in the Abercrombie room. The bed is huge and whilst I initially thought the bed was too soft, it was actually very comfortable, as were the pillows. Room was cleaned well and smelt new, and not musty (like the toilet near reception...which needs more attention I think!). The amenities were good - interesting minty shampoo and conditioner. Very comfortable bathrobes, and slippers and good hairdryer was also provided. The only thing is there is no privacy from your companion when it comes to the shower which is clear glass, and only frosted glass in a separate toilet. Love the double sinks. No problems with noise but we were at the back of the hotel. Rooftop pool was nice, although a bit too shallow to even do a few laps to warm up, but you can order food from the snack menu which is actually delivered from Kensington Street Social. All the staff were nice and helpful, including the waitstaff at the Rooftop and Reception staff. Foodwise - went to Automata (great set menu); Kensington Street Social (the breakfast was very average; but the dinner was spectacular!); and Spice Alley is very convenient and literally across the street, but disappointing if you are looking for authentic Singaporean food. So, great hotel in very convenient location, accessibility and even shopping and food.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room/back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business