“Nice JA vibe and great food”
Review of Jamtown Manly Beach - CLOSED

Jamtown Manly Beach
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 22
Neighbourhood: Manly
Description: Authentic Jamaican Food & Drink in an equally authentic setting! BBQ Jerk - Rum Shack - Soundsystem
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I Loved the curry goat here. The paddies were tasty and the chicken wings were perfect. We had some Walkerswood spicy spice with the wings which took us back. My man had the jerk pork and he said it was awesome! It was great to taste some Red Stripe again. We didnt have any cocktails but they looked the real deal. The Sound System wall of speakers was wicked. The night we were in there was a DJ playing and there were quite a few up dancing so it added to the Carribean vibe

4  Thank jennytavish
Jamtown2095, Owner at Jamtown Manly Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2017

Nuff love for your kind words. Hope to see you again soon! Bless

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

Busy wee place with a chilled atmosphere. The food had a wee spice to it, not Jamaican spice but spicy enough to keep everybody on their toes. Good service friendly and informative.

4  Thank Brendan M
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

Even not being from Jamaica, but living in manly for few years, I could always say that this place feels like home, young minded people, great friendly staff and the food is always great, I have on my calendar the reminder to go at least twice a month to have some plantain chips and some red stripes.

3  Thank Paulo L
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

We bought a groopon - $50 for $80 for a dinner as we like to taste different countries food.The place is just a little bar with a few tall bar tables and bar stools. We had to ask 2 times to turn the sound of the music down as it was too loud. The wine was the cheapest wine you can have. All the food was over salted and absolutely untasty. You can have food in any cheap food court and pay 4 times less and have 10 times nicer food. The presentation of food and the service were as bad as the food. No wonder why this bar was almost empty. We would never ever recommend this place to anybody. Waste your time and money.

1  Thank Ирина Б
Jamtown2095, Public Relations Manager at Jamtown Manly Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2017

Hello.

We remember you well. We remember your ignorant attitude mostly towards our service staff.

Jamtown is a little bar correct, with few tables & stools yes & finally music. Our tag line is
BBQ Jerk - Rum Shack - Sound System. I will try and break it down for you...

Jerk food is based on centuries old technique of preserving meats pre refrigeration. Spices other aromatics & yes salt are a part of the marinade. Not sure if overly salty is fair comment, but there you go. I know some cultures don't salt or season their rice, different folks different strokes!

Rum shack's are small shacks, buildings call them what you like that sell rum! Mostly dotted around the Caribbean and in Jamaica particularly. So you've commented correctly here. The cheap wine comment...We do only have 2 wines 1 of each varietal, we are a Rum Shack and that is our focus, call it a point of difference if you wish. Good Hope wine bar 10 doors away does have a great selection though!

Sound system, this is a key component of the lifestyle that makes up the the vibrant nature of Jamaica. "Too loud" , I believe you asked to turn the music down almost immediate upon entry. We try to gauge the volumes based on the bodies in the room and the ambience is set from there.

I appreciate you took the time out to come check out our venue. I will offer you a full refund as to highlight we are above the Ill natured type that you seemed to think we were in the manner in which you addressed us on the night. I won't apologise though for us being as authentically Jamaican as we can!

Bless up

JT Crew

Reviewed 3 May 2017

My husband and I were visiting Sydney and heard about Jamtown from a friend in Japan. We found it a bit difficult to find as we had never been to manly before. We walked in and it transported us back to Kingston many years ago. The food was excellent and tasty. Needed more spice but they had some HOT scotchie sauce. The music playing was great. We here Jamaican vibes in Japan all over the cool bars so felt at home. The Goat curry and jerk pork were exceptional. Had some great cocktails and Quality Rum.

5  Thank TokyoLara