“Fabulous piece of history!”

Hero of Waterloo Hotel
Reviewed 31 May 2018

This great little pub is so wonderfully iconic and a must for anyone visiting The Rocks precinct. We were lucky enough to stay at a divine AirBNB about 20 seconds away during our recent trip to Sydney so this place was more or less our 'local'.

We enjoyed a great pub meal one night in the dining room upstairs with a cosy fire going & also views to the Sydney Harbour Bridge! Very special. Our meals were great - I had the eye fillet with whiskey gravy & my husband thoroughly enjoyed his lamb shank with mash!!

On another occasion we ventured in on a Sunday arvo and really loved the great old time live music - more or less anyone from the crowd will come & sing or play an instrument - it's fabulous! All this takes place in the main bar with the gorgeous big fireplace roaring!! We also stayed on for the Irish band which was once again an awesome experience with lots of local identities making live appearances with a song or two.

We absolutely loved it!

"sailors"
"australia"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

Came across this pub/hotel though the free evening walking tour and to be known as a contender with being the oldest pub in Sydney.

The food is tasty and filling and reasonably priced for the serving. The home brew beer is a must have.

Overall if I was in The Rocks again I would revisit.

1  Thank CJrivera89
Reviewed 15 April 2018

Do yourself a favor, walk the whole two blocks out of the way and make your way to the Waterloo, you have space to drink and sit even on Saturday night. Live music was a nice added touch. We enjoyed it so much we came back later in our trip. Great old school pub atmosphere.

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a catch up with friends visiting from Qld and wanted to show them something of The Rocks area and its history.
We visited this historic landmark on a Tuesday night and dined in the upstairs dining room - it was a quiet night and we pretty much had the room to ourselves. We enjoyed good pub food and great views of the harbour bridge. The food prices were reasonable and the wine pricey as we have come to expect in this part of the world. The staff were friendly and the pub is full of atmosphere. I would return and would recommend it to anyone looking to dine in The Rocks area.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We visited this pub/ restaurant after completing the Bridgeclimb nearby. It was recommended to us by one of the guides who shared the rich history of this establishment. We were fortunate to show up on an unbusy lunch hour where we received excellent service ( less than a handful of establishments we visited in Australia that I can say this for) and they fulfilled our request to see the cellars and tunnels that drunk sailors were shanghaied to/ from. If you time your visit for non peak hours, they can probably do the same for you. We also really enjoyed the food! I had Mushroom and Pumpkin Risotto which was , for me ,a unique ingredient blend and very tasty. My traveling companions were equally happy with the Angus Burger and the Rooster Burger. They have MANY varieties of draft beer, most Australian and we found those palate pleasing too.