“Decent Budget Option, Provided You Don't Plan On Cooking” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of O'Malley's Hotel

O'Malley's Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sydney
O'Malley's Hotel
Ranked #131 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
San Francisco
“Decent Budget Option, Provided You Don't Plan On Cooking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

We reserved the view/kitchen room on the third floor, expecting to eat in and save money, and, if we were into mac n cheese or hot dogs every night, that might have worked, as there is almost nothing to cook with in the kitchen. But, whatever the kitchen lacks, the view makes up for--with the Opera House and Bridge, and skyline in sparkling, tantalizing detail right down the hill. The staff was cheerful but the second air conditioner never did get fixed, and when it was really hot we could have used it. Lower floors had issues with noise from the live bands but we never heard them up top. We didn't even find the neighborhood all that noisy either, but we do live in a very noisy urban setting so we may be a bit insensitive to noise.

Now about Kings Cross. My "Lonely Planet" calls it "edgy", with prostitution and crime, but we saw no indication of any of that. No drug dealers either. Lots of restaurants, mostly fast food, catering to the hostels which are in abundance. Potts Point, an up market neighborhood, is just on the far side of Kings Cross, and you couldn't be any more conveniently situated as the Kings Cross station is but two blocks from the hotel--but don't trust Google's directions: Find the huge Coke sign, look down the hill and you'll see the hotel.

The walk to the CBD is easy and pleasant, albeit with quite a bit of traffic, but within a few blocks you are in the parks--the Domain and Botanic Gardens--which are beautifully landscaped and exquisitely maintained (no weeds like Golden Gate Park) and you can walk all the way to the Opera House through them. In fact, we walked all over Sydney and rarely caught the train or bus.

This is not my favorite hotel, by a long shot, but as a budget option, that third floor room is one I'd consider returning to.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank gryphonisle
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

Okay its not flash but it has wonderful character. We stayed in the Harbour view suite and wow what a view

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AucklandJoey
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

Went on the recommendation of Lonely Planet, thinking it would be fun to stay above a pub (have done it in past, good times). This was so not the case.
"Surprisingly quiet" read my tourbook. Err, was more bordering surprisingly loud- since it seemed to come from the walls and not the windows or floors. Thankfully, I had earplugs.
Very tiny room, but you get what you pay for.
Clean.
Small.
Would not stay again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank everitt4

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2008

I spent 5 nights in Sydney from April 18 thru 23 and I was looking forward to it.
As I was on a NZ trip I thought that I could indulge myself in a small side trip to OZ so i booked well in advance that "cheap" B&B. Ok the area is nice and lively in the midst of Kings X but the place is really average. The room was OK with ensuite but pretty small. I had a room on the 2nd floor so quite away form the noise downstairs. have I forgeotten to say there was an Irish bar donwstairs? oops.
The satff was extremely , let's say....unhelpful....When I asked if there was a laundry in the area..she said she didn't know...and that was it. I found out there was one down the street on Victoria.
Then I was told if I paid Amex that would be an additional 5%...ughhhh Breakfast was extremely BASIC...cheap white bread, butter and jam. Cereal and that's it!!! Well, I miss the Wattle House B&B in Glebe...Oh yes I do?

Don't book there..there are many other options but for 79 AUD a night...it's pretty good value but don't expect anything else...

PascalPierre from France, Europe;

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff and breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
6 Thank pascalpierre
Northumberland UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2008

I stayed at O'Malley's for one night prior to my flight back to the UK. I had my 14 year old son with me who was definately not impressed. We had a horrendous climb up 3 floors with heavy suitcases, and the stairs were quite dark and winding. Our room was dingy and my son's sheet was ripped from top to bottom, they were also very grey looking and did not seem at all clean to me. I know it was supposed to be a budget hotel but I do not think there is any excuse for unclean beds and dodgy sheets. It was our last night in Sydney and it was a disappointment. I had to leave very early the next morning for our flight so I could not see any staff to leave a complaint with and when I returned to the UK the experience faded as I started to remember all the other wonderful things about Oz, but I do not recommend you stay there unless the hygene drasically improves.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — All of it
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank disgruntled55