See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

We were harassed by other guests, a scary experience for someone with a child to protect.

It stank, was filthy, and there are no lifts.

We were minding our own business in the shared kitchen when we were harassed by drunk European backpackers, gesticulating inappropriately at us and swearing profusely-in front of my 26 month old. I was shaken by the experience and decided to change hotels.

Later that evening one of those men saw me and my child exiting and entering our room and the toilet as we used the sink there. He tried to push his way into my room, and when he refused to back off I told him I'd call the police. He moved away reluctantly. I called the police on the phone, and during that time and afterwards, on and off for the next 15-20 minutes or so, he banged on my door, trying to smash it down. The whole place must have shook with the sound. A group of people could be heard gathering outside my door, as he was talking to them about me. I was scared for my and my child's life. I just didn't know what he'd do to us.The police arrived within an hour to deal with the situation.

This hostel, or ANY hostel, is NO PLACE for children. These places attract rough and potentially dangerous backpackers who get drunk frequently.

The corridors reeked of cigarettes and the carpet was heavily stained. The bathroom and toilets looked like they never got cleaned either. There's three flights of stairs but no lift. Over the weekend reception is closed and there are no staff, and no way to contact them. There's a sign that says no drinking etc, but the rules are not enforced. Outside our room there was scaffolding and a black screen. The double room cost AUD90, but was grossly over-priced. The hostel is across from Central Station, which is convenient for transport, but this is a filthy, disgusting part of Sydney's CBD.

The following night we checked into The Grand Hotel in Circular Quay and were very happy with our switch. The price was the same too, but what an incredible disparity in cleanliness, amenities, and common areas.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

6 beds in female dorm, big enough but no strategic place to put our belongings. Big mess can be a sad realty. Hard beds. Unfriendly and useless staff the day and nobody in the evening and night to make it quite or to ask people to tidy their stuff. Very well situated next to Chinatown but room gives on the noisy street. Tea and coffee for free all day. Breakfast good but finishes at 9am.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2017

Booked this as a hotel which it definitely not. Bed was comfortable and clean but had to make the top sheet ourselves. Kitchen very untidy due to other guests. Bathroom basic. Were supposed to pay at hotel but they charged the credit card immediately! Will not be back.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A PLACE MORE DIRTY THAN THIS: IN ONE WORD WAS DISGUSTING
I'LL NEVER BEEN BACK AGAIN AND I'LL NEVER SUGGEST ANYONE TO GO THERE.

Toilets were always extremely dirty same with all the rooms furniture! Had only fresh blankets over it. That's just insane even for a cheap hostel I can expect better than this.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Annalaura M
Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

Myself and a friend booked a hostel as a stopover in Sydney before we begun our travels up the East Coast. We had had a disappointing day after losing out on the campervan of our dreams and all we needed was a nice place to rest our heads after heading into town for a few scooners. The hostel was easy to book and we headed to central station right in the middle of Sydney, which is very close to the hostel. Uplifted by the great location and attractive bars all around us, we walked with a spring in our step towards 701 George Street. As we turned the corner of Pitt street, it was then we knew we had made a huge mistake. A worn down, dingy door beckoned us as we nervously spoke on the intercom. As we climbed the stairs we decided to bypass the ugly setting in the hope we would find a good bed for the night in a nice location. It wasn't to be. Before paying the full price for a two night stay we asked to see the room. As the relatively friendly receptionist showed us to our room we knew at this point we would not end up staying here. The door opened to the room and a smelly, dark room where two bunk beds filled over half the space and a middle aged man had just woken up from an afternoon nap, quite the contrast to the other hostels in the area such as wake up which boast a vibrancy of youth and colour with modern furniture. After viewing the room we decided enough was enough, made our excuses and left. We only had to pay for one night in the hostel but I would have paid a lot more not to sleep their that night. Make sure you research a hostel properly before you book it online!

Date of stay: February 2017