“Needed to find a special Opal for a very special person”
Review of Rockhounds

Rockhounds
Ranked #56 of 196 Shopping in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 28 February 2016

We met with Paul who was very helpful. True gentlemen, humble, and very knowledgeable. Paul even helped me understand why one was better than the other based on the specific reason I was buying.
Would definitely go back there again and buy an Opal for our 7th anniversary.

Reviewed 19 June 2015

We visited several opal stores in Sydney and other cities. Rockhounds stood out. The staff were helpful, not arrogant or pushy. We met Paul, the owner who obviously loves opals and knows them well -- he pointed out a couple that were indeed the best for the price. They have expensive jewelry but also very nice single opals you can make into necklaces. They even have some pieces of boulder opal in matrix that are quite inexpensive. Fiar, friendly, good quality, decent prices. We'll be back the next time we're in Australia.

1  Thank Ronald P
Reviewed 15 March 2015

I've developed a small but well-loved collection of opals over the years, including stones mounted in jewelry from Victorian times, so I'm reasonably knowledgable about the differ types, mining locations, etc. This was my first trip to Australia, and -- while I knew I would love to add to my collection -- I was quite cynical about what I thought I'd find in the opal shops in Sydney.
Sure enough, a quick glimpse into most of the shops left me placing them in either of two groups: cheap junk or outrageously overpriced good pieces.

I wandered into Rockhounds on a whim, expecting the same, and was really impressed with the breadth and depth of their selection, my engaging conversation with the owner about his decades of experience in the opal business, and the fairness of their pricing. The key word here is "fairness." If you just want to go home with the cheapest piece of something that looks like -- but may or may not actually be -- an opal, there may be other places that can fill that need. Rockhounds has a wide range of price points, and can explain to you honestly how the quality differs among the options and help you figure out the best value for your budget and taste.

I can think of no other stone where having a very broad selection is as important, because each opal is unique and you need to find the one(s) to which you are personally drawn.

In short, I'm delighted to have found this place, and with the two opals I purchased (out of the dozen or so I'd like to have purchased!)

5  Thank ivygirl2244
Reviewed 10 March 2015

The opal is the national gemstone of Australia, so you can't help but notice all of the opal shops during your visit to Sydney -- lots of options for gifts and souvenirs.

I did some comparison shopping, and found that Rockhounds offered the best price, and selection in the Sydney area. The staff were genuine, helpful, and didn't make me feel pressured.

I had a great experience there, and am really happy with my purchases!

3  Thank kevinmont2014