“It was awesome”

Ranked #1 of 6,859 Restaurants in Sydney
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Kings Cross
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Visited this restaurant on the basis that it was the #1 place to dine in Sydney according to Tripadvisor. As I was an overseas visitor I didn't want to call or text so I made the booking through FB message. I had to leave my credit card details and was informed that although the set meal was $60, there was compulsory spending of $40 on drinks (that's a lot of drinks to me) as it was the last two weeks of December. But I went ahead anyway as TRIPADVISOR CANNOT BE WRONG!!

And they weren't!

The restaurant itself had no signboard except for the word "Farmhouse" on the glass door, which then again cannot be seen when the door was open. We were given seats at this big dining table which could open in sections for people to get in and out easily (so clever!)

The food was very interesting and presented in a way that I wouldn't normally expect. The soup was in a shallow plate and was filled to about 1.5cm - 2cm deep. The main course wasn't served individually but on 3-4 platters (yes, 3-4 platters for the 2 of us! Such generous portions!) and you picked your portion to put on your plate. Surprise in presentation aside, the food was VERY GOOD. There must be some magic going on. I think if the Michelin people came to Sydney this restaurant would be awarded some stars.

The other patrons couldn't finish their portions and could have the leftovers packed. I think my husband and I did a good job that even Mike came over and told us that we did well hahahaha.

Dessert was another surprise. There was supposed to be cheesecake but the cheesecake was not in a 'cake form' but the ingredients haphazardly thrown into a bowl. Cheese, biscuit crumbs in a bowl which you scoop with a spoon. Once again, unexpected presentation but it was gooooood. There was even dessert part 2 which was a tart. Can't remember much about that one though.

My husband and I are not used to drinking alcohol during meals and the compulsory spending of $40 was about 3 glasses each, which we couldn't finish by the time the first dinner service was over (8.30pm) so we could take our glasses out side and sit on the bench to enjoy the wine.

The bill came to $200 for 2 of us. And who needs a nice printed out receipt? Everything was handwritten. Just adds to the whole experience.

I'm definitely coming back if I come to Sydney again.

7  Thank neminskii

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

Very interesting experience,everything tasted so good and looked amazing. We was very impressed, perfect birthday treat.

3  Thank KristinaWoo
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

An ongoing sensory orgasm of food and wine, with abundant servings of each delectable course. The staff all possessed beautiful energy and attentiveness, having prepared in advance for one of us being gluten intolerant and placing us in a perfect spot along the table so we could murmur romantic nothings to each other and also participate in the wider conversation whenever we wanted. They knew our names when we arrived and picked up on my partners birthday without being specifically told and presented her with a little birthday offering with dessert. Every dish and our accompanying glasses of Priory Ridge red were multi faceted taste sensations of the most delectable perfection. Well done Farmhouse Kings Cross!!

3  Thank DerekR1255
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

This was a fantastic meal. I was joined by two colleagues while on a business trip. First things first, the dishes were creative and the flavors were great. There were stand outs at each course. If you enjoy food and are willing to try new things then you will love this place. This is a restaurant that nails creative dishes like brined scallops and pickled fruits while also delivering classics like mashed potatoes and roast chicken perfectly. They have a nice, reasonably priced wine list and the staff was a pleasure to meet. Special thanks to Mike who was very responsive to our questions via text message while selecting the restaurant and also after we arrived. What a treat!

2  Thank H2502ERjohnh
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Absolutely recommend to go there, delicious food great chef and owner. We had such a relaxed dinner with high quality food and wine.
Food, wine and the atmosphere are inspired by a French country side restaurant, great experience!

2  Thank Andreas K