“We love the hotel - it's pet-friendly, spotless-clean, roomy, modern, elegant and doesn't break our budget.”

Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #19 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Everyone was friendly and helpful. The furnishing and layout of lobby and public areas showed some flare in the way minimalistic modern interior architecture combined with old leather armchairs and solid timber furniture. We loved the way our two dogs were welcome. Our room was impeccably clean, spacious (I believe it was of the smaller kind), with a glass door opening to a court-yard garden; it was pleasantly furnished and the bed was very comfortable. The location was very good - easy walk to Hyde Park and the National Art Gallery, and right near numerous cafes, restaurants and boutique shops (we tried a new place to eat or drink coffee at every meal-time and were not disappointed). But what I liked best was that this lovely and well situated hotel was pet-friendly. If I were to add something to improve our stay, it would be some fruit for breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 January 2011

We booked this hotel at the last minute after deciding that we needed to get to Sydney (the only sunny place in Oz at the time) just to get one more day on the beach before we headed home to the UK.

We'd been in Australia for 5 weeks and this was going to be an expensive we hadn't budgeted for, since we had been staying with friends in Melbourne for free. We'd already emptied out our bank accounts with the $ flying as high as 1.3 to the pound! We needed a cheap hotel and we thought that was what we'd get, but instead we got the best hotel we'd stayed in for a long time!

This was the cheapest hotel we stayed in while in Australia, yet it was also by far the best. The rooms (my father-in-law and his fiance also stayed for a night) were fantastic – very clean, comfortable and really well designed with super comfy beds and an awesome shower that was on a par with one I once used in the house of a very successful plumber. They have everything you need and some little extras such as wet wipes. And they were Kleenex ones, too. This impressed my girlfriend endlessly, as we have a little boy. But possibly the best thing was that they had FREE high speed wireless internet in every room. Expect to pay $20 a night anywhere else.

Alan, the manager of the hotel was a big part of what made our stay so enjoyable. He is a great guy, the warmest most accommodating sort of chap you could hope to meet. He gave us the impression that he would do whatever he could to help and on the last day even offered to deal with the shipping of a rather large wooden surfboard 'love shack' sign that my wife-to-be had bought for our future house on the coast. I couldn't bring myself to burden him with this task but I was humbled that he offered. What a guy.

Other points: lovely roof garden, great breakfast spread (that's right, breakfast is included – you won't find that anywhere else to our knowledge), very friendly and helpful lads who came to clean the room, enough milk for coffee in the room (a rare thing if you ask me), really comfortable reception area with inexpensive pool table, good music at a good level and up to date and interesting magazines... the list goes on.

The location of this place is also brilliant. You could walk to most places in the city or you can get the tube. The station is about two or three minutes walk away and it's about 2 stops from town hall I think, which is approximately in the CBD and near anything you might need shop-wise. Or, if you have more sense and want to hit the beach, you can get a train, bus or taxi to the eastern suburbs such as Bondi. We took a taxi there (only $15), because we couldn't wait and went to one of the tiny little beaches along that part of the bay. I left early, had a walk back down the hill, took in what is without doubt the best view of Sydney, jumped on the first bus that pulled up and it dropped me off a stone's throw for the hotel.

Thanks Alan, you have a wonderful hotel! Rob, Lesley and Archie.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2011

My girlfriend and I had a very pleasant stay here. Our room was clean, and well appointed. Al, the manager was friendly and 2 lovely dogs:)
I left my phone charger behind after checking out and a member of staff was kind enough to call and let me know.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 16 January 2011

This is a little gem of a hotel, its just up the road from the heart of Kings Cross and very close to a number of nice places to eat and trendy bars.

Our room was well sound proofed and comfortable. It had everything we needed, kettle, fridge, TV, A/C etc..

The manager (Alan) was geniunely a very nice and helpful man. We will stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2011

That's how we would summarize the Altamont Hotel in three words. The manager, Alan, always greeted us with a smile, and if we spent more than a few minutes in the lobby, he would bring us water or coffee. When we had questions about the Darlinghurst / Kings Cross area of Sydney, he was happy to help us. He offered to take our laundry to a nearby laundromat, and some goods we wanted to donate to a nearby church. When I asked where I could print a few documents, he said that he would be happy to do it for me, free of charge, but they happened to be running low on ink, so he directed me a few doors down the street to the Altamont's sister hotel, the Kirketon. They were very friendly and helpful there, too.

We've stayed at many hotels and motels in North America, Europe, and Oceania, ranging in price from $60 to $500 per night, and few come close to matching the Altamont Hotel in terms of customer service. Oh yeah, and the rooms are clean, comfortable, and spacious. The hotel is centrally located near many of Sydney's most popular attractions. Last but not least, it comes with free breakfast and wireless Internet. Definitely worth the money, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple