“Very well located and awesome bar & brewery”

The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel
Ranked #1 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 September 2012

The Hotel is very well located, you can get about many key places from there. The rooms are big and properly equipped, even wifi. The hotel has no lift so take that into consideration while packing. The staff also works the bar so when we arrived kind of late we were surprised to have the check in handled by a waitress. The staff at the place is wonderful, very helpful and polite.

The bar & brewery in the lobby is the main attraction, featuring many award winning own brews and great side dishes, a must for every true brewer or beer fan, the kitchen works fast, breakfast could use more options.

I would certainly return and recommend it to friends and family, if not for the brewery and the location, for the staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank nicolasgoddone
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel

Reviewed 11 August 2012

As a reunion of friends, we stayed here at the end of July and we all enjoyed every minute. Ideal location for walks to quay, opera house, ferry services, bridge walk, city and rail links to sports stadiums in Sydney. Staff were helpful and welcoming. Rooms were warm and well furnished. We had a loo with a view of Sydney Harbour Bridge. Free wifi for limited time per day. Beautiful red wines and tasty house brewed beers available in the bar. We missed out on trying the restaurant but will save that for next time! Definitely a place to return to.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank cathydel
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed here March 17 - 24, 2012. I have no idea how I let this slip past me without a review.

We wanted a nice clean place with positive reviews that didn't cost a few hundred dollars a night or more like most places in Sydney. We got a really nice value here with our choice of a room with private bath for $190 a night. Unlike the states, the price includes all taxes so there were no surprises.

The girl working the bar took us up to the office for check in. Our room was directly across the hall. It was nothing fancy or modern in style. But it was large, clean had a modern bathroom and a large table for piling all our stuff on which was really convenient. Others have posted pictures of this room with the table - I think it's 201 if I remember correctly.

We had a kettle with instant coffee and tea supplied. The milk is in the refrigerator. Our joke of the trip was to ask Aussies for half and half. They will say, half and half what? LOL The bathroom had nice toiletries. Even being directly over a pub we had a nice quiet place to sleep.

We had a week long transportation pass, the mymulti pass, which was great because the end of the bus line is across the street from the pub. The free shuttle bus downtown was always packed with standing room only so we were glad we had full use of the nice uncrowded bus which took us nearly to the door. We bought the better pass which allowed for not just ferries and buses but the train to the Blue Mountains. We did get our moneys worth and wrote down the individual cost of each trip on public transit.

This isn't a full service hotel so there won't be someone at a desk waiting to serve you 24 hours a day. We didn't need that. What they do have is a really nice included breakfast. And with the prices in Sydney, this really added to the value. It was a simple but very satisfying breakfast - Fruit, yogurt, cereal, nice large pieces of toast with various spreads. And Australians know how to do coffee. They may offer only one cup but it's not Maxwell house. It's a great cup of coffee meant to sit and enjoy - don't gulp it down. If you want more there is plenty of instant in the room.

We are healthy active people so the stairs were a non-issue for us. They help you with your luggage upon arrival anyway. We actually walked all the way to the cruise port with our luggage since it's downhill the entire way. The typical cruiser may not be able to do this.

I loved waking up each morning to the quiet neighborhood on the end of the Rocks. I would jog around Darling Harbor and see the city waking up. There are townhouses in the area where people live. I loved seeing the old woman at the top of the hill overlooking Darling Harbor who fed the Lorikeets each morning. She will gladly speak to you. And her robe is the same color as the Lorikeets. You won't find experiences like this in the heart of the downtown area.

The only thing less than perfect was the free wifi. If anyone staying at the Lord Nelson is attempting to use skype or facetime, you will get knocked off. This messes up the entire connection and the modem needs to be reset which can't be done until someone opens the office in the morning. Do yourself and your hotel neighbors a favor and don't use high bandwidth internet services on the wifi network. But considering other hotels charge a fortune for internet usage, consider the time you do find a connection here to be a bonus. They do offer a paid internet service which might be better but we aren't accustomed to paying for internet and didn't want to start now. You can always go to the customs house across from Circular Quay in the day time for free wifi. McD's is too slow. Starbucks charges....shock!!!

I wish I had remembered to leave my review earlier while I still remembered names. The girl who checked us in only worked weekends. But she was just so sweet, nice and charming. She was there when we departed. She works at the bar but can do double duty with a smile.

I would stay here again above all other places in Sydney. We just loved it here. Maybe you'd rather spend $400+ a night to stay at the Marriott for a standard hotel experience. I sure wouldn't.

Room Tip: Pay more for your own bathroom unless you like sharing.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank mommabean
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We recently stayed on the top floor of this amazing brewery hotel and found it to be absolutely brilliant. I was surprised at how quiet the rooms were considering the bar is downstairs. The room was small but so unique and perfect for our stay. The view from the roof top Dormer windows captured the Harbour Bridge in the distance - bit special !

The Hotel itself has a great atmosphere and it was easy to see that it was well respected by a busy crowd on the Friday and Saturday nights. The boys pick of the selection of beers was 'The Old Admiral'. The history behind the Hotel and the architecture just adds to the appeal.

Service was welcoming, the breakfast included was a perfect start to the day and the location was spot on for an easy stroll to The Rocks or a quick hop to Walsh Bay for the theatre.

I can highly recommend 'The Lord Nelson' .... and will be back for sure.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank themegster
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Transport to the hotel - Sydney Airport to the Lord Nelson by taxi approx $43 (that's what it cost me). Shuttle (Sydney AirBus) is much cheaper but the last one leaves at 10pm so I missed it. However, I did get it on the return journey - $14. You could also catch the airport train to Circular Quay and taxi (or walk) to the hotel.

The hotel - Just lovely! I'm a history buff so I really appreciated my stay. I stayed on the second floor. It was a small room, however, it was comfortable with a double bed. It had everything I needed - iron, ironing board, tea, coffee. The bathroom is opposite the room and is a shared one, however, there are rooms with ensuite if you prefer. Everything was very clean and fresh.

It is a pub so expect some noise. I stayed Friday night and Sat night. After 11pm I heard nothing. Even prior to that the noise wasn't annoying me at all even though I could hear it.

Breakfast was really lovely. It's a continental breakfast and is complimentary. Cereal, toast with jam, tea/coffee and a mini fruit platter. This is one of the nicest I've had and the dining room a pleasant environment to relax with your breakfast. I could see the harbour bridge from where I sat.

Location - brilliant! Directly across the road is Observation Hill where you will find the best views of Sydney Harbour possible. This place is on the doorstep of the harbour bridge and minutes from Circular Quay.

I would highly recommend this hotel for overseas visitors. It's really good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo