“On the Fringe”

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills
Ranked #58 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Location is everything - Crown St Surry Hills is just a 10 min walk via Oxford St to Hyde Park and 15 Min Bus (301) to Circulr Quay
Good choice of restaurants within walking distance and the very good Bills (Grainger) downstairs for breakfast, lunch & dinner.
Request a room not overlooking Crown St - a bit quieter, but not a huge problem.
Comfortable, clean - maybe a little dated but very acceptable at the price.
Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Not overlooking Crown St
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Joseph S, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear MelbourneGazza

Thank you for the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. My self and the team at Adina Crown St are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am glad that you found our hotel clean, comfortable and well positioned.
Adina Crown St does have one of the most desired addresses in Sydney, with Surry Hills famous restaurants and bars and stone’s throw away, yet just a short walk or bus ride to the city.

We look forward to welcoming you once again to Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, Crown St.

Kind Regards

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, Crown St

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Booked the Adina for 3 nights for our family of 2 adults and 3 kids. The apartment itself was fine, well equipped and a good size for us all with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, tv's in all rooms which is great when you have kids.Location was good easy enough to walk into the city. Now to the negatives, the room was not clean, my duvet cover had blood on it, it was dealt with on request but really not good, there was no hot water again dealt with on request but not what you need after we had been on a flight for over 24 hours having to wait a couple of hours for hot water and a handyman in and out. The toilet seat had the remains of the person before!! I had at this point had enough of contacting reception so washed it off myself. Everything in the apartment felt grubby, not what I expected at all. The pool was freezing and looked dirty. The place needs cleaning and maintaining more thoroughly or more people will be leaving negative feedback.

Room Tip: Request a city view room much quieter, the rooms on Crown street must have been noisy as it's a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Workinmum66,

Thank you for the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. I am glad to hear you found the room to be well equipped and spacious. I sincerely apologise that you had a negative experience with the housekeeping provided during your stay. I can assure that I have followed this up directly with our housekeeping manager and it is not the typical service at Adina on Crown St. I’m pleased to hear the shortfalls in service were dealt with in a prompt fashion.
Please contact me directly to discuss any of your concerns in detail. I would like to personally apologise and have the opportunity to welcome you back to Adina; assuring your next stay with us you experience the true Adina service.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have stayed at the Adina (ex-Medina) apart-hotel on many occasions; why? Because it is in Surrey Hills with loads of good restaurants; because I get a washing machine to wash my clothes on a long trip; because I can buy local produce and make myself a meal.

So what is my grouse? The place feels grubby and tired; the bathroom floor has not been washed; my feet get black if I walk barefoot on the carpet. The frequency of replacement of household items is inconsistent: one face flannel (for 2 guests) one day, none the next. Dishwasher powder one day, none the next. Broadband (for which I pay) Day 1 – none, Day 2 it works fine, Day 3 none. No spare toilet roll so we run out, and so on.

There are never any plugs for the basins, neither in the bathroom nor the kitchen. There are no lamps in the sitting room so we are bathed in a cold overhead light reflecting off the mushroom coloured walls. The “art” consists of a massive photo of the grubby end of a glacier; cold, slushy, like snow at the beginning of spring.

The broken light fitting dangles from the cable out of the bathroom ceiling; the shower diverter sends 2/3rds of the water into the bath; the basin tap is broken. There are archaeological remains screwed into the bathroom and bedroom walls from long vanished fitments.

Don’t expect a check out time later than 11.00 unless you pay A$60 per hour. The baggage storage is in the corner of the office so not particularly secure.

The Adina is on busy Crown Street, so the traffic noise is significant unless you pay a premium for a courtyard room.

So why do I stay here? 1 Washing machine & tumble dryer. 2 My own kitchen dining space. 3 close to decent restaurants and food shops and walking distance from my office. I will come back but please spend some money on the place soon. I reported all the faults shown here so hopefully they will be fixed by the time the next guest arrives.

Room Tip: Avoid the noisier rooms on Crown Street. The best ones overlook the inner courtyard and pool.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Butterstoneman
Joseph S, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Butterstoneman

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, at Adina on Crown we encourage all feedback as this gives us the opportunity to improve our guest experience.
I was disappointed to read your comments regarding housekeeping and I would like to assure this is not indicative of the standard of the rooms at Adina and apologise for our shortfall on this occasion. I appreciate this feedback as the Hotel Manager, my main priority is providing a clean and high quality product and exceptional customer service.
As our guest internet is provided from an external company. I have passed your comments regarding its reliability to our provider who will come out to the Hotel and conduct another audit to ensure the coverage is adequate to service our guests.
Thank you for notifying us of the maintenance issues in your room. We have a fulltime maintenance team if you have any issues in future stays please do not hesitate to contact reception in order for us to deal with the issue as soon as possible to ensure your stay is more comfortable.
Thanks to feedback such as yours and from other guests, I can happily advise that we have now added additional face cloths to all rooms.
Our normal checkout time is at 10am however we do try to accommodate all guests’ requests. The hotel runs on very high occupancy whilst we can accommodate an 11am late checkout free of charge in most cases, there is a charge beyond this time.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in order for me to personally ensure your next stay is more enjoyable and to discuss your concerns in more detail.
Look forward to hearing from you or meeting you in person on your next stay.

Many thanks once again

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, Crown Street

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I booked the Adina on line for two reasons: location and price. I knew nothing else about it. I booked it for 3 visitors from the USA who I did not know well at all. Pretty risky! The accommodation with a huge balcony, 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and well equipped kitchen was perfect. The location is ideal for amazing restaurants so nearby as well as ease to see so much of Sydney . The staff were helpful getting taxis and suggestions of places to eat and shop. It was the perfect introduction to Australia .

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Dear NaiNai38,

Thank you for the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. We are all pleased to hear that your guests from the USA enjoyed their experience at the hotel.

Many of our overseas travellers do recommend us for their friends and family coming from overseas because of our facilities and location. Having that extra space, lounge, kitchen and laundry facilities is very much welcomed from our long haul guests especially if they are staying more than one night.

Surry Hills is the perfect location for your overseas guests as it showcases Sydney superbly with its iconic cafes, restaurants and shopping. Allot of our overseas travellers prefer to stay in Surry Hills as they are not in the hustle and bustle of the city but yet they can easily walk to the CBD.

We hope to welcome you, your friends or family to Adina Apartment Hotel Crown St, Sydney once again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed for two nights, and received spectacular service from reception at check in to check out.

The apartment had city views that you would expect to pay a fortune at other hotels, and the I did not even feel I was staying in the one of the busiest cities in the world. The balcony was amazing and the room had everything I needed to make the stay a comfortable one.

I highly recommended this accomodation to anyone who likes a home from home, and close to Sydney's best spots including restaurants and party spots.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Charbz Z

Thank you for the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. The team at Adina are delighted to hear that you were pleased with their service as this is what we strive for.

Reading your review its sounds as though you truly experienced the Adina concept providing our guests a “home away from home” but still giving that feel you are staying in a stylish hotel. Crown St is a vibrant and cultured St and it looks like you took advantage of our great location.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, Crown St soon!

Warm Regards