“A Surprisingly Nice Hotel”

The Grace Hotel Sydney
Ranked #17 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne
“A Surprisingly Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Booking a Mystery deal on those hotel sites, can be risky, but by the description and the amenities described it seemed like a great deal. So when we got the confirmation we got the Grace hotel I could not be happier. When we arrived to Sydney from Melbourne we were greeted by the elegance of the hotel and it's art deco. Check in was fast and friendly. Our room was clean, roomy and comfortable, especially the beds. . My only complaint was that the person at front desk gave us a 2 bed bedroom, instead of providing a queen size bed. However I did not complain that time, as my hubby at the time had a very bad cold. Another great thing is that the Grace hotel was very close to darling harbour, and city shopping areas and also the likes of many bars and restaurants. I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
South Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This is our second stay at the Grace. The first was over 10 years ago so we were slightly unsure of whether our memories of the first fantastic stay were accurate. The hotel itself is in a great location actually better than I expected, the monorail, darling harbour and city shopping are all within close walking distance. The room itself it spacious, on checkin we were given a room with a walk in shower but we would have preferred a bath. A quick call to reception and this was arranged swiftly. The gym facilities were of good quality as were the pool and spa although we did not utilise them on this trip. Room service was well priced with no complaints. Bed was comfortable which is a strong factor in us liking a hotel.There are not many downfalls but I would have to comment on the noise on the Saturday night, having stayed from Thursday to Sunday the noise from pubs/nightclubs below was overwhelming on the Saturday night. Firstly I'm young and can handle a bit of noise but until 3am wasn't great. Given that we were on the 9th floor I would hate to think what it would have been like down lower. We were charged a fee of $100 a night as a bond so $300 overall, I understand this is common practice amongst some hotels but this would be off putting if I was staying for 7 nights, particularly as the reversal does not immediately come off the credit card.

Room Tip: Probably higher up or on inside room on the weekend to avoid street noise below.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
melbourne
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Great location - just minutes walk to the harbour, train station. Great for hanging around in the city CBD.
Friendly staff - nice service.
Hotel room is clean and comfortable with reasonable size - comfortable to stay. Facilities are also maintained well.
Also with quite nice pool and spa facilities.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Burton-on-Trent
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This hotel is a converted version of the Grace Brothers department store. It is very well placed for exploring Sydney (a short walk to both The Rocks and Circular Quay as well as a monorail station). The room was adequate (we were offerd an upgrade, but we didn't want to spend the extra $30 per night for this). We thought breakfast was excessively expensive ($32 unless you booked it the night before when it dropped to $22), so we went to a small cafe in The Rocks. The staff were friendly. There is a rather good Irish theme pub on the ground floor. I am not normally fond of these plastic places, but this one had people who actually knew how to serve Guinness. The bar food was good value as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed for three nights in the Grace. I chose it because the conference that I was attending was being held at the hotel and, after checking the Trip Advisor reviews, thought I would stay there. As there was torrential rain in Sydney over this period, I was very glad that I did. It was also convenient to be able to duck back to my room at lunch time etc.

Check in was seamless & quick and all the staff in the lobby appeared pleasant. I was on the 10th floor and out of the side of the window, I could even catch a glimpse of Darling Harbour.

I was pleasantly surprised with the spaciousness of the room and the bathroom. The furnishings were tasteful and reflected the historic nature of the hotel. The bed was comfy with adequate lighting for reading and the block out curtains really did keep the room nice and dark. The hotel is in the heart of the CBD, so street noise was a bit of an issue in my room as it overlooked York St (I'm a really light sleeper), but with ear plugs was pretty quiet (I'd suggest going for the highest floor possible of noise is an issue and maybe an internal room). There wasn't much noise from the adjacent room (only a couple of times heard small bathroom noises).

Overall, I was really happy with the hotel and would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for the highest floor possible to minimise street noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business