“Excellent in all respects!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Tamworth, Australia
“Excellent in all respects!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have stayed here once before on a business trip and really enjoyed the experience, so I was keen to go back with my spouse. On this visit, we were given a smaller room on a higher floor and got it at a good bed and breakfast rate. The view looked out to the GPO clock and Martin Place. Even though smaller than on my previous stay, the room was not small by any means - in addition to the king size bed it had a good desk, armchairs and coffee table. The bed was fabulous and I liked the bathroom set-up with the glass wall looking into the room. The staff we encountered were all professional, friendly and provided all-round good service. The buffet breakfast had a comprehensive variety of foods. My first thoughts about the parking charges were that they were expensive; my second was that it was OK as I don't know where else in Sydney I could get multi-entry parking for 24 hours for less than $56. On the other hand, $18.50 for a single drink at the bar IS too expensive.

Room Tip: The higher floors look out over buildings, rather than at them!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our one year anniversary. We managed to pick up a great mystery hotel deal on wot if. I would stay here again for the price we paid however as I don't earn a super huge amount I could never justify staying here at full price. Rooms were beautiful, bathrooms amazing and staff were helpful with my request of a late checkout.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Aureliia1987
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I'll start with some positives about the Westin. It is in a great location, has very comfortable beds and a good bath / shower. Check in was quick and easy and the staff member was very friendly. We did an express check out which was also hassle free.

However...parking is ridiculously expensive at $56 per night. We stayed in a club room with access to the club lounge. The lounge is fairly drab and uninspiring although the service for evening drinks and canapés was excellent and staff friendly. Compared to other executive clubs we have been to the canapés on offer at the Westin were not as good.

A few negatives about our room. The bathroom has a big glass window looking out over the room. While it is OK during the day ( you can drop the blind), at night if someone needs to use the bathroom the lights wake you up. Our room still had rubbish near the kettle from the last guests.

Finally the most disappointing aspect of our stay. Unfortunately I left my cleansers in the shower ( expensive products) and I phoned the hotel as soon as I realized I had left them. I was told that if housekeeping found them they would be logged and the staff member said he would call back. I did not hear from them and when I called back was told nothing was found. I definitely left them in the shower so I can only guess they were either thrown out or pocketed by housekeeping. Although they apologized they weren't really interested.

Such a shame that a beautiful hotel is so greatly let down by poor service. We will not choose to stay at the Westin again.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jenni H
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at the Westin Sydney on business for two nights. I was impressed with the Central location as it was close to everything Sydney offers. I had asked for a room in the Heritage wing but was told that none were available.
The check in was quick but impersonal. A bank of fast lifts awaited to take me to my room on the 16th floor.

The room was above average size and contained a few ammentities you wouldn't find in a lesser quality hotel. Even though I was on the 16th floor I had no view at all, my room looked out on office building and the scene was bleak. The queen bed was very comfortable and was well-stocked with comfortable pillows. A large flat screen TV filled the wall at the end of the bed. This is by far the largest TV I have ever encountered in a hotel room.

The standout feature was the bathroom which was oversized. A large bathtub filled one side of the bathroom whilst the other side was taken up by a shower stall and separate toilet. The bathroom ametities were of a high quality as were the bathtowels.

The room was fine, my biggest gripe and a continuing one with staying in large cities was the cost of ancillaries. Parking was expensive as was internet. The room service fare was broad but the cost inhibitive especially with a $8 room delivery charge.

Overall a excellent hotel with fine ameities, problem is that you will pay for the pleasure!

Room Tip: I continue to hear good things about the Heritage wing
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

The Westin is a great hotel. This was my second stay in a deluxe Tower room. Beds and full length bar heavenly. Service was friendly and very genuine.The pool involved somthing of a quest- akin to Alices adventures down a rabbit hole -to locate the pool it involved going through a series of doors, steps, lifts and passageways, acrooss yoga rooms etc. After so much effort one was expecting something more than a dark, basic indoor pool. If you don't need a pool the hotel is ftirst rate and has access to a very well equipped gym for those who like that sort of thing. Breakfast was in a light filled atrium, again with a most helpful and attentive waiting staff.

One minor note on our booking I mentioned it was our silver wedding anniversary. I wasn't expecting chocolates or flowers but a brief acknowlgment would have been nice as this personal touch is what has drawn me to this hotel (the staff all have a note on their nane badges what their personal passion is.) This lack of making your stay a personal one may make me choose another Sydney hotel in July.

Room Tip: The higher level rooms have nice city views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple