“Could have been better”

Astral Tower and Residences
Ranked #55 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Just returned from 2 nights in a 3 bedroom apartment. Nice view of Darling Harbour alongside cranes & construction. Rooms were clean & well appointed, however had booked for 2 adults & 4 kids but only had 4 towels. Like others, discovered that pool was temporarily unavailable only when we asked to use it.Given the number of comments about this, would have thought it would now be something that customers were informed about at time of booking. In our case was a major drawcard to have a pool given we had 4 children with us. As we left we were informed that we could have used the Ian Thorpe pool by showing our room key. Shame they didn't tell us this earlier. My only other complaint was the lack of free wi-fi. Surely in a 5 Star hotel, free wi-fi is a given. Have stayed all over the world & this just makes Australia look like a backwater. However overall, had a good stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Astral Tower and Residences

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We booked into Astral for a few days of enjoying our city as tourists and spend time by the pool. Unbeknownst by us, especially because the reservation agent neglected to tell us, the pool is closed and will be for another 2 years. Unfortunately, we were unable to find another room in the city suitable otherwise we would have checked out immediately. The kids were extremely bored, and spent the days goggle eyed in front of the Foxtel.

I guess they only want gamblers there.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Imadog
Bianca E, Customer Insights Manager at Astral Tower and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Hello Imadog

I am sincerely sorry that you were not informed of the pool closure at the time of booking as we are certainly not trying to hide the fact and the standard is to inform guests at time of booking of the change to the guest facilities during this period of construction. During this time we are offering an alternative option which is the Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre, located just down the road. I do hope you were informed iof this by our staff during your stay.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

After my last stay I said I would never go back but I thought Id give The Star one more chance.
After the disappoint of the last stay I booked into the cheaper of the 2 bedroom apartments going for a Pyrmont view room so I wasn't expecting much this time I just needed a place to stay for one night but to my surprise this time the room was fine the noisy construction had finished some construction could be heard around 8am In what I think is the Darling.
I wish someone could explain to me how they work out these rooms last time I booked a "City View" at a more expensive price then the Pyrmont room, but my view consisted of the construction site and the back of the lyric theatre no said "city view". Were as this time booking a Pyrmont room I was given what appeared to be more of a city view room. If I was to stay here again Id like to know Im getting Value for money If I was to book the more expensive room.
The Star in itself is more finished with more choices besides room service, hopefully once everything is finished at The Star it will be a really good stay.

Room Tip: Try to get information about what the room type actually means, a few hundred difference sometimes j...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank soo_what
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Huge room and comfy bed although a little hard for my liking. Pillow menu which is a nice touch.

Servicing of the room was a bit shabby, nothing replaced even though it was obvious we had used all the tea (maybe they just didn't check). Stayed 3 nights and ended up leaving little notes around the room e.g please replenish the teabags etc. Glad we didn't stay another night otherwise we would have been out of soap.

A la carte breakfast served quickly and was good value for the money. Didn't have the buffet breakfast.

Staff very friendly especially concierge and front desk. Shame the pool is still out of service. I would have thought that guests should be offered the use of the pool at the Darling as its next door and from what I gathered owned by the same people but that wasn't allowed.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Bianca E, Customer Insights Manager at Astral Tower and Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Hello maud_cyril,

I am glad that you like the room and bed as well as the added touch of the pillow menu. It is always good to hear when something is being well received by our guests. Equally as important though, are the comments you make about the lack of replenishment on bathroom and kitchen items. I have spoken directly with our Housekeeping Manager who has assured me this is not standard practise so thank you to your feedback, she will be giving a reminder to all our Housekeepers that they are to top up room items daily. I apologise that this did not happen during your stay.

Regarding the pool closure, I do hope that staff informed you that we have arranged free access to the Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre down the road for use of hotel guests while the pool is closed.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I once again got caught by the Wotif scenario. One should ask wot if the room is not up to scratch WOT DO YOU DO. I paid $1128 for 2 nights on Wotif. Got to the room and I can assure you that it is not a $564 per night deal and no breakfast. I queried this at the desk after check in and was advised that I was only paying $824. Obviously asked how does this work when I have already paid Wotif. Back to the room to get the paperwork back down and get another clerk who disappeared for at least 5 minutes and returns and says the rate you have paid is correct. Now I am starting to get wound up and ask for the manager. I own my business and employ 60 plus people and if one of them spoke to a customer as abruptly and rudely as this guy did they wouldn't work for me. No negotiation was entered into so back to the room. Next morning the renovation banging started at 7.20 am and the drilling started at 8.00am in a $564 per night room on a Saturday morning. Lets go to breakfast, there were 43 people waiting for a table. It was that bad they were bringing juice to those in the long line. Waited 25 minutes and no closer so went into the city for breakfast. It was so bad I checked out a day early and went to another hotel. The rooms are more expensive than either the Observatory or the Sir Stamford but about 10% of the quality. Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business