“A Wonderful Experience”

Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney
Ranked #15 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This is a lovely boutique-like hotel close to Circular Quay. My husband and I stayed here one night for a special occasion, which was a really enjoyable experience.
We had booked a double room and were unexpectedly upgraded to a suite. Lovely!
The concierge greeted us by name each time he saw us and the staff was really helpful with any enquiries we made during our stay.
The breakfast was wonderful, with a range of fresh fruit etc and no complaints were made when we remained lingering over breakfast while waiting for our son to join us - right on the tail end of the stated breakfast hours!

Room Tip: The suite we stayed in didn't have windows that opened, so guests might like to check with the h...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear 500th reviewer!

Congratulations on being our 500th TripAdvisor Reviewer - we are thrilled it is 5 stars.

Being a boutique property having staff welcome our guests by name is a goal we aspire to - and we also don't like to hurry guests who are enjoying a relaxing meal. Thank you for highlighting this in your review. Sir Stamford at Circular Quay is definitely the perfect hotel for a special ocassion for all ages and for most events. Our collection of 4 small, beautfiully decorated meeting rooms are ideal for social groups of 10 to 100 and having a group High Tea is very much in fashion at present.

Thank you for you review and return again soon.
Heather idoine

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I found the Sir Stamford online by accident, the taxi driver didn't know it but I was prepared with the address. One could drive past without noticing. It doesn't have the usual opulent entrance of a grand hotel.

Inside it's rather like a boutique, family hotel. It once was the Ritz Carlton so that may give you some idea.

The sitting rooms are beautifully decorated and very relaxed. No one seems to stand on ceremony here like some expensive hotels I've stayed in around the world. And it was surprisingly affordable.

The lift felt like it was going to break down at any moment but that added to the fun. The rooms are large, well appointed and with windows that actually open. Our room had a view of circular quay which was great at night.

I could have stayed longer and I will no doubt return. It's my new home in Sydney when I visit.

2  Thank barrye09

Dear Valued Guest

We are delighted you discovered us on the internet. Small boutique hotels like ours certainly do benefit from the ability of our future clients to compare both prices and services well before they travel. Every visitor has different needs and expectations and when travelling convenience and location are often worth that little bit extra. Pleased you found us affordable.

Yes Ritz Carlton did convert the historic 1897 Health Department into a hotel in 1990 and their legacy lives on in our Fine Art Collection - from the tiny Persian Rugs in the lifts to the outstanding chandeliers that adorn our ceilings. Over the past 12 years Sir Stamford at Circular Quay has won many awards and received many accolades from the industry for it's service and elegance.

However we are only as good as our last review and so we thank you for taking the time to record you experience - it seems we are soon to reach our 500th review - we trust it will be a 5 star report like yours.

Heather Idoine

Reviewed 16 September 2012

When I initially made contact with the SYDNEY Stamford I was not impressed. However, my husband was participating in the Sydney Running Festival and really wanted to stay due to the location. So I persevered! We booked through the Stamford's website. We were staying 2 nights and the website offer was to prepay. This was not a problem however to finalise the reservation was just ridiculous. We paid up front, however due to our credit card expiring during our stay it was not accepted! (months earlier I must add). The (gentle)man that I spoke to in the end was Con, and I am sorry - this guy just made the whole experience even more excruciating! Anyway, I was not looking forward to staying at all BUT I was pleasantly surprised!
I received a phone call prior to us leaving Victoria from Marty to inform us of the road closures due to the running festival. That impressed me! What a job......great customer service.
When we arrived at the Stamford I was really hoping I was going to meet this guy Con but it was not to be. Instead we were greeted by this lovely lady by the name of Kylie and straight away I felt relaxed and Con was out of my head! I told her how I appreciated the phone call and Marty introduced himself - he too was behind the desk. Well from there on, I realised that even though one person (Con) had already tarnished my impression of the Stamford....I was completely wrong THANK GOODNESS (...but ...mind you first impressions Con, maybe something to think about?!)
I would like to thank all the staff at the Stamford during our stay....Marty (going the extra mile with the phone call) and Kylie for the lovely warm welcome. Dean (concierge), your recommendation for the night life was spot on and we had an absolute ball (and eateries)!
Also, Kieran and Stu - thank you for your assistance.
To think, if I had of had my way, we would of missed meeting these wonderful people and staying at a wonderful establishment....lucky my husband put his foot down!
All the staff were friendly. The room was fantastic. Very clean and the bathroom was AWESOME!
Thank you, we had a great weekend and will we be back again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 315 - it was just lovely and very roomy! The balcony is great allowing fresh air...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear Marathon Guests

Congratulations on competing in the Sydney Marathon and dealing with difficulties in pesky credit card deposits. Your tenacity was our gain and we apologise for the false start to your weekend. Sir Stamford is an ideal competitor hotel for such a wonderful event. The city becomes eerily quiet as even the Harbour Bridge and Cahill Freeway closes for the Blackmores Running Festival. Ringing our guests who may be inconvenienced by road closures is quite practical for a boutique hotel - despite the internet it's good to just pick up the phone... old fashioned service goes a long way.

Five Stars is a great accolade thank you, and also for your positive mentions of our staff - Dean, Kylie and Marty thank you on behalf of the team. It's very reassuring for me to know that you received appropriate advice on venues and restaurants that suited you as that is the key to good concierge - aligning the guests requirements and using our local knowledge of eateries and clubs in our vicinty to ensure visitors have the best Sydney experiences.

We look forward to your return and thank you again

Kind regards Heather Idoine

PS Con is feeling very sheepish

Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the Sir Stamford for a weekend. It's in a brilliant location with easy access from the eastern distributor and once there a short stroll down to circular quay. The views aren't quite what you get from some of the other major hotels near circular quay and the service could do with a polish up but over all the experience was positive and the fire in the lobby was a very nice touch.

• Stayed: September 2012
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dera Valued Guests

Thank you for your review. Easy access from the major access roads into the city, is certainly an advantage whether you are coming in by private car or taxi - Sir Stamford at Circular Quay has links to both the Cahill and Eastern Distributor 200 and 500 metres from the front door.

Having the ferry terminal just around the corner plus being easy walking to 2 major rail lines - one at Circular Quay and the other at Martin Place ensures you can go almost anyway by public transport and not have to worry about having a car. The Harbour Bridge walk from the hotel to the little village of Kirribilli takes about 20 minutes and there are several excellent local restaurants on that side of the harbour that will give you a real Sydney Sider experience.

From Gourmet Walking Tours of the city to Kayak tours of the waterways - you can have some very different experiences. The coming weeks feature Art and About - we are looking forward to seeing the "Golden Lane", so return again soon.

Heather Idoine

Reviewed 15 September 2012

What a delightful hotel, service with a smile and sense of humour to boot.
We were amazed at the consistent level of service from check in to housekeeping all staff make you feel at home.
The old world charm of this hotel reminds you that slick and modern is not always better.
On arrival we were upgraded to a Suite that was a small apartment in size and whilst in need of some updating everything was clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony away from the Cahill expressway.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Dear Valued Guests

Thank you for you your comments about our delightful 105 room vintage hotel and our consistent service. Spring is such a lovely time to visit Sydney with the Botanical Gardend opposite bursting into life.

93 Macquarie Street is certainly an olde world location, one of Australia's historic streets, that begins with Hyde Park and finishes just beyond our hotel at the Opera House. From NSW Parliament buildings, the Barracks, the Mint, Museums, Libraries, Galleries and Music Conservatories - it's a very attractive city walk.

Heather idoine