“Fell below expectations”

Ranked #12 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Fell below expectations”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed at the Grand Quay apartments in March 2012. I had great expectations for our visit, however, I was slightly disappointed. The reception area whilst basic, the staff were very pleasant. However I did arrive 30 minutes prior to the 2pm check-in so the receptionist inquired what I was wanting to do whilst in Sydney & perhaps I could go shopping or visit the art gallery & by the time I came back my room would be ready. No up sells here. It was raining so they gave me an umbrella, took my luggage & told me if I turned left around from reception I could get out to Circular Quay & either walk, train & bus it into the shopping precinct. I was tired & just wanted to sit down really.
I went into the shops via bus & walked around. When I put up the umbrella, it was broken so I went & purchased my own. Got back to the hotel & couple of hours later, exhausted.
My room was one above reception & walking towards it I found a strong smell of what I thought was bleach in the corridors - it turned out the swimming pool was on the same floor & it was actually chlorine.
My luggage had been delivered to my room & it looked like it had just been thrown against the wall. I did expect that it could have either been placed on the luggage stand or floor or bed.
The room itself had views of the Circular Quay ferry terminal & to the right you could see part of the infamous Harbour Bridge. All in all, not a bad view.

The room itself could have done with a bit more housekeeping. The kitchen splash back was dirty & the benches could have done with a wipe over. The pieces of fluff on the carpet could have been vacuumed away & the coffee table looked like it had pieces of tape that had been removed & not scrubbed off. Alas I thought they'd get them the next day, but no, they were still all there.
The bathroom was a bit dated but serviceable & apart from a complete renovation there's not much that could be done with it.
On the 2nd day I was out for the most part & just before going to their restaurant for dinner I noticed the alarm clock wasn't working. Upon investigation I discovered it had been disconnected from it's socket. I thought that perhaps housekeeping forgot to plug it back in after they may have vacuumed the bedroom. After a bit of difficulty in trying to plug it back in, it still didn't work. It wouldn't have concerned me so much except that i was leaving early the next day & wanted to use it. I then noticed that the plug at the back of the clock/radio was bent, so I took it down to reception, who were very helpful & said they would address the problem.

Dinner at the restaurant was delicious, albeit a bit noisy from the bar near it & I would recommend the food there.

On returning to reception after dinner to see what the outcome was of the clock, they said it was fixed & back in my room. Great.

After my stay I received a survey via email to complete, which I did, taking into consideration the details as mentioned above. I then received a telephone call on that same day from someone claiming they were from the hotel requesting details on the survey score. So I outlined these details. They were incredibly apologetic & stated they were a 5 Star Hotel that prides itself on providing excellent accommodation & receive a lot of positive feedback through Trip Advisor. As a result of my not so wonderful experience at the hotel they would be sending me a voucher as a form of apology. I thought that was a really nice touch, however I have not received anything from them to date. What annoys me about this is organisations that follow up but then don't follow through. If they had done so I am sure I would have given them a more favourable review & would be a return guest. C'est la vie!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank HappyDaze2
Belinda P, General Manager at Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to advise of further concerns regarding your experience at Quay Grand. In speaking with you on the day of your departure i was happy that we were able to resolve your concerns to your satisfactions and am disapointed to read that you did not reiceve the voucher as discussed. I know that my Operations Manager was able to speak with you today and confirm delivery of the certificate. If at any time in the future I may be of any assistance to you please, do not hesitate to contact me directly via 9256 4001 or belinda_paterson@mirvac.com.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I love the Quay Grand Hotel in Sydney as much for the excellent location and fabulous view of the harbour as for the intelligent and comfortable layout of the space inside the suites. We pay the extra and get the harbour-side room rather than the garden-side room. It is definitely worth it.
Each suite has a kitchen with washing machine and clothes dryer, biggish refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, coffee-maker as well as the usual kettle and toaster. The bathroom has both shower and spa. There is a dining area slightly separated from the lounge area; a bedroom with queen / king size bed and desk for laptop - we had complimentary internet access - and a balcony with small table and two chairs.
We have not yet eaten in the hotel restaurant, so cannot pass comment on the standard of their food, but the little bar has fairly good bar food and a wonderful painting by Australian artist Marion Borgelt.
It is just a short stroll along the quay to the Opera House if you want theatre, opera and dance. There is also a Dendy movie theatre about half-way to the Opera House and several good food places on the way.
We chose this time to eat at a new-found gem in Balmain (review to come) as the weather was so good and the multipass travel tickets so reasonable that a ferry there and a bus to return was pleasant and relaxing.
I do have one quibble with this hotel - one that stops me giving it an "excellent" rating. The bathroom floors have been very poorly designed and in each of our three or four visits, we have had a room where the water from the shower spills out into the main bathroom area and must be mopped up with the floor mat. The tap water from the basin also tends to spill out onto the vanity top rather than be completely caught by the basin. This can make for a wetter experience than we would like for a top-end hotel. However; it is a small irritation and can not take away completely from what is otherwise a fantastic hotel stay.
If you are looking for the complete Sydney experience and are able to give yourselves a wonderful lift, gift or surprise, I can recommend the Quay Grand.
Tip: Keep a look out on wotif.com (http://www.wotif.com/hotels/australia-sydney-hotels.html)
as this hotel often has very good specials.

Room Tip: Choose a harbour-side room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Agree with 'melwollongong' location, location! This is just the most fabulous place to stay. We came to meet friends arriving by ship at Circ Quay and had the joy of watching their ship berth at the overseas terminal from our balcony. That was just to begin with.
The suite was wonderful every amenity one could wish for plus lots of room. This together with a well equipped gym and good size swimming pool.
The location so near to Sydney's main attractions is amazing.
and the staff - went out of their way to be helpful.
Such a great experience we are returning in about two week's time - this time for 10 days - last visit, just four days, was not long enough.

Room Tip: Decide whether you seek a Harbour or Gardens view - either way it will be superb.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Wollongong
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Location, location! Great views of the harbour bridge. Shopping and restaurants on your doorstep. Room was spacious and well equipped. Breakfast was great quality with nice views.

Room Tip: Request rooms on the Opera House side of the building which have better views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Victor Harbor, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed at the Grand Quay apartments in March 2012. Room 608. I had great expectations for our visit, however, I was a tad disappointed. The reception area is really basic, however, the staff were very pleasant at all times. At a cost of $1338 for two nights, definitely this apartment is not good value for money unless you need a kitchen and a laundry. The view of the harbour bridge is really lovely and it is interesting to watch the coming and goings of the Sydney Ferries at the terminal at Circular Quay. However its proximity to the Circular Quay railway station means that you get to hear the trains coming at going and at night, this didn’t charm me. The décor of the rooms was a bit dated however and lacked the wow factor. The pool area is nothing like it is portrayed in the photos and is a small pool and tiny gym with very little equipment. The Eco bar was so noisy with a DJ at night that we couldn’t have a conversation so moved to the foyer. Eco bar hosts the breakfast in the morning and again this wasn’t much to write home about. On the first morning, the repair man was fixing a floor to ceiling window that had come off it hinges so the room was freezing. Breakfast consisted of a continental buffet and hot food needs to be ordered separately. On both mornings the food was cold so overall a really disappointing breakfast and not what you would expect in 5 star accommodation. Overall, the apartment complex lacks soul and the wow factor and given there are so many other really good places to stay in Sydney, that also have a view of the harbour, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank swimminglyme
Belinda P, General Manager at Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Quay Grand Sydney. I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

At Quay Grand, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please be assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues and prevent future occurrence.

I hope that you will accept my apology as your experience is not indicative of the usual high standard at our hotel.

Sincerely