“Terrific hotel in perfect location”

Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour
Ranked #11 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
California
“Terrific hotel in perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed in Suite 608 for three nights in early February. This modern, clean, one bedroom suite has a large living room, large bedroom, kitchen, laundry room with washer and dryer,nice balcony, and a great view of the perpetually busy harbor. It is at the city end of the hotel; the view from rooms farther north might be even better.There is tons of storage space and closets. Service exceptionally cheerful and good. An entrance to the lovely Botanic Garden is just across the street from the front door. We've stayed at many, many top hotels around the world and this is one of the best ever for size, quality, service, and location.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed here for 7 nights in mid-February and my experience was outstanding. The service was excellent - all of the front desk staff was always willing to help, answer questions, look up stuff online, order room service for me, and always with a friendly attitude. At check-in, I asked if I could "make a deal" on the Internet service charges since I was staying for a whole week, and was given the weekly WiFi package for free! I really appreciated this gesture since I was so far away from home and wanted to be able to stay in touch each day. (Plus, I had already paid a small fortune for my weekly stay!)

The 1BDR suite was huge - I estimate close to 900 sqft. The $1,000+ I saved on booking a Garden View suite instead of Harbour View for the week I was glad to have saved since Sydney is so very expensive. The Garden View suite had nice views and it was very quiet. Maybe if I only stayed a couple of nights I would have sprung for Harbour View, however there are many cafes/benches outside of the hotel and a bar and restaurant within the hotel where you can enjoy the views at any time. Also, the pool area has a sitting area on an upper deck that overlooks the harbour as well. I was on the 7th floor, suite 709, a corner room. No earplugs needed at any time. The suite was very clean and the bed super comfortable. I used the in-suite washer/dryer twice and was grateful to have that amenity. I ordered room service on three different occasions and the food was very good and I never waited more than 15 minutes for delivery. The tap water tasted fine, so I kept refilling a couple of bottles to store in the fridge rather than buying bottled water (for $3-$4 a pop).

The location, on the east side of Circular Quay, couldn't be better. Most of the activities I did involved taking ferries, and the wharf is just steps outside of the door of the hotel. I also enjoyed daily early morning walks around the Opera House, harbour area, and the Royal Botanical gardens. Lots of walkers/joggers out at sunrise, but no crowds so a great way to enjoy the views and see the Opera House up close (good exercise going up and down those steps, too). Also, only a 10-minute walk to The Rocks area, with good restaurants. Within a 5-minute walk are a Starbucks, convenience stores, fast food, and a few bars/restaurants if desired. I ate breakfast daily at a place called City Extra which was reasonably priced for Sydney (avg of $13 for breakfast) and was less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel, and offered outdoor seating with harbour views.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you can afford it and if you are staying for an extended period. It is more comfortable to have an entire suite to relax in, rather than a cramped hotel room. If you sign up for the Mirvac Hotels e-mailing list, you can get good promotions (like 4th night free, or discounted rates).

Room Tip: Corner rooms are slightly larger
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank phoenixjewel
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Anyone who has been on a long trip through Australia will love the fact you have a washer and dryer in your suite! We had a 2 bedroom suite which while seemed enormous for just the two of us, we liked having the 2 baths and could use the extra bedroom to store our luggage and keep it out of the way. We had a corner room, which allowed you to see the opera house, park, and a corner of the harbor. While the hotel does't sweep you off your feet upon entering the lobby, it is very comfortable and you will love the location. It has a small exercise room, including a sauna and indoor pool, overlooking the Quay. Staff was very accommodating at booking us events, like the Bridgewalk. We had some small maintenance issues with the room, and because we stayed in the same room twice one week apart, it was disappointing that they were not fixed. (e.g. light flickering and shower head a bit floppy). I mentioned them upon check out the second time, and I am sure they will be fixed.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Service_Sommelier
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

My twin 21 year old daughters and I travelled to Sydney to see Il Divo at the Sydney Opera House and stayed at the Grand Quay from 12th to 15th February. I chose to stay here because of its close proximity to the Opera House and the reviews on Tripadvisor and what a great choice it was.
We stayed in a one bedroom harbour view apartment,my girls shared the very comfortable sofa bed in the living room.
We were in room 508 at the very end of the corridor. Nice and private.
The apartment was very well appointed and maintained. Loved the spa bath. The views were to die for. Always something happening down below on the quayside no matter what the hour. No problem sleeping thanks to the double glazing and the extremely quiet air con.
We ate in the bar early on the evening as we were off to see Il Divo. Most impressed with the food. We just shared a few things off the menu.Prices were fairly reasonable.
The only meals we had in the restaurant were breakfast on two out of 3 mornings there. Wish we had gone there for all 3. No buffet which was a a pleasant surprise. Wait staff were excellent.
We loved the close proximity to Circular Quay, The Rocks and The Royal Botanic Gardens, the Gardens are a great place for an early morning walk before brekky.
Its only a short stroll up to the CBD as well and if you dont feel like strolling there are plenty of cabs, trains and buses.
We would definitely chose the Grand Quay next time we are in Sydney.

Room Tip: Harbour view room at the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Libster1953
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

friend......My sisters and I stayed 3 nights aftr revieiwng Tripadvsiors' review on this property. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment overlooking the Harbour.
The location of the property is nothing but perfect and the view is absolutely breathtaking.
It it si the view one is after and the rest of the rpoeprty and service is not important then this is the place.

We paid for a 5 star serviced apartment and expected a 5 star service.Considering what we paid it is expensive.
On arrival at the reception while checking in I gave instruction to the staff to enquire on quotes for a car and chauffeur for a full day. to go to the vineyard and fruit picking. II had impressed on the guy that that is the nly free day we have and to please make sure I have a car. The guy assured me it will be done and he will leave whatever quotes he gets with his colleague. on returning later in teh evening, I discovered that a private tour guide was recommded for my use if I wanted and no quotes on any car and chauffeur.

When we checked in the bathroom in the 2nd bedroom was not properly cleaned. I didnt do anyhting about it hoping that the maids will clean the bathroom the following day. When we returned the next day after lunch we noticed that the bathroom was cleaned at the top, towels changed and the beds were tidied in a hurry, the runner for the bed was left where we left it on the floor the night before. The floor of the bathroom was left as it was when we left. So I called housekeeping and someone by the name of "Dan" took my call. Having explained to her she sent a Nepalese help up to clean the floor. We were shocked at the amount of dust and hair that was swept out by this man.

Finally the day before our departure I booked a van to take us to the airport. I approached the reception in the morning to arrange for the transport. The same assurance was given to me by staff that " it will be done". Again we returned at midday....I checked to make certain that transport was booked, A lady attended to me,.....she found nothing in the system....nevertheless she assurd me she will ratify this and book me a van. When we returned in the evening, we again found that no reservation was made for a van to take us to the airport.
Finally the staff on duty that evening immediatelt booked the van and confirmed the same with me. Having had this experience I had to call the reception again the next mornng that the reervation was made..

The efficiency and friendliness of the staff at the restaurant is commendable.

For us the service is short of a 5 satr.

Room Tip: Ask for the Harbour view, but price is steep.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Challenging
Belinda P, General Manager at Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Quay Grand Sydney. I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

At Mirvac Hotels & Resorts, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

I hope that you will accept our apology and allow us the opportunity to show you this level of service is not indicative of the usual high standard at our hotel.

Should you have any further feedback i would certainly like to speak with you if you could contact me via the below email and or telephone number

Belinda Paterson