“Better than expected”

Ranked #125 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Scotland
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I had read the reviews regarding noise and was slightly apprehensive, but we had decided that location was very important to two ladies who are getting on a bit!
Yes the noise from the traffic was there but it was more background noise than intrusive and I must agree with Penelope's comments that if you want to stay in a city within a certain budget you have to put up with the drawbacks. The helpfulness of the staff and cleanliness of the room more than made up for the noise.
Only negative comment was a slight stale smeel emanating from the bathroom (we suspect the shower curtain/drain) but it was not serious enough for us to complain about.

Room Tip: Try for a higher level room as this may make the noise level diminish a little, either that or take...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AilsaPerth_Scotland
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Canberra
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel during a spur of the moment trip to Sydney. Having learned that most reasonably priced accommodation was booked out in Sydney that weekend, we felt lucky to find the Park Regis, especially because it is so central and they offered a "park view". On arrival we quickly realised why everyone was staying elsewhere.

This hotel is what I would call budget accommodation, even if the price doesn't always reflect that. Our room was comfortable but the building is quite dated. And the street noise was unacceptably loud in the room. The on-site parking is very cramped and we were very glad we had brought our small car - I would not have even attempted to drive our 4WD in there... way too scary and difficult to manouevre without hitting anyone.

This hotel may suit those on a tight budget who aren't looking for anything flash but want to be centrally located near Town Hall, Hyde Park and Oxford Street. It definitely wasn't to our taste and I certainly hope that international visitors don't judge Sydney by this place. Hotel management should seriously consider double glazing the windows.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ellebana
Melbourne
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Similar experience as per review by "hydehill". This is my first stay at this hotel and would only stay here again if out of options, which was how I ended up booking into this hotel in the first place (late in organising accoomodation in Sydney for a large international conference).

In defence of the hotel, there is a price difference of $300+ dollars per night difference comparied to where I would normally stay, for the period I stayed (price hike due to shortage during the conference). Given the same scenario of late booking and significant (200-300%) price hike at the other hotels I would not hesitate to book this hotel again if there wre no other options.

Pros
- location. Center of the CBD and close to the monorail. This was for a conference at Darling Harbour. Using the monorail, over a week it never took more than 15min from leaving my room to arriving into the exhibition hall at the Convention Centre; many restaurants nearby; near the Town Hall train station
- Comfortable bed.
- Internet. Reasonably priced internet with reasonable speed (tested via Speedtest.net: 1.45Mbps upload; .13Mbps upload); Starting at $7:50/hr. Also offers a range of access options to total time (I bought 8 hrs for $30, which was sufficient as I only needed a couple of hours per night) which only counts the time one is online, to blanket full day to multiday access.

Cons
- Rooms are small (see photo .... the photo of the room was taken right at the corner of the room with an iphone and could not capture much of the bed)
- Noisy. Very poor sound insulations from the street (at least when on the 11th floor) Sounds from every car, street sweeper, bus, mono-rail, fire trucks, police cars, etc is heard all through the night - Sydney streets are not quiet in the middle of the night.
- Very poor temperature control - see photo. No temperature adjustements, just a fan speed adjustment for the air-con. I found the room to range from cool to too cold. Openning the window helps with controlling the temperature but allows even more noise to come through.
- Bathroom needs to be updated. See photo. Soap/shampoo dispenser looks cheap and the products within are below par with other similarly priced hotel

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Launceston
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed here for three nights because it was close to the city centre and we didn't see the point of spend a fortune on a room we would spend very little time in. We wanted something convenient, clean and comfortable and the Park Regis was all of these. The Sydney Festival was on so accommodation was certainly at a premium. I have read several of the reviews on here criticising the Park Regis. People have to remember that accommodation prices fluctuate during peak seasons and you have to be decisive and realistic in what you expect for your money. If you are going to complain about the noise, don't stay in the city or be prepared to pay to stay somewhere else. Cities are busy places which mean people and traffic.
The price for our accommodation was awesome considering its location. There aren't all the trimmings that other hotels may provide like room service but the front desk operates 24 hours and the staff were extremely pleasant and very helpful, to the point that an item I forgot to pack was mailed out COD after our stay (and seriously, who stays in a city like Sydney to eat in their hotel room anyway?) The bed was very comfortable and the room a fair size. I have spent more and stayed in 4+ star places with smaller rooms. There was a notice in the bathroom alerting us to issues with low water pressure but I noticed none. In fact, I would think that if you complained about the water pressure, you must be hard to please, it almost knocked me over!
We'll be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peneloops
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2012

This hotel is in a very good location - I have stayed here several times over the years. But there are many negatives about this hotel that mean its not top of my list when visiting Sydney - its very much a place I stay only when my favourites aren't available.
The negatives start with check-in. Once I finally had the clerk's attention he checked me in and advised that they took payment for the room up front. OK. And they charge a fee for using a credit card - so either go out and find some cash or pay more. Credit cards are the way the world pays when travelling and this practice of charging extra to use credit cards stinks, and it is becoming more widespread.
While waiting for the clerk's undivided attention I also noticed the hotel now charges $2 per bag to hold your luggage after checkout. This is something I haven't encountered before, I have always found hotels happy to store your bags if you are not planning to travel until some time after checkout.
The vibe I was picking up continued when I got to my room. The room itself was comfortable if somewhat dated - the hotel was one of the earlier additions to Sydney back in the 60s and 70s when more modern hotels started to open.
Standard room furniture included queen bed, wardrobe, easy chair, fridge, and a desk/bench with chair. The desk was covered in promotional material trying to get me to spend more - internet, city attractions and the like - lots of those three sided free standing thingys, there were even a couple on my bedside table. I had to put them all in the drawer to make room to actually use the desk.
As I said it continued what I felt was a pattern of trying to get whatever they could out of me.
The room, being dated, was actually quite noisy despite being on the twelfth floor. But the noise was not just from traffic down below. Being an early riser and early to bed I reckon I clearly heard every other guest on my floor return to their rooms throughout each night I was there. Some of them were probably a bit louder than they should have been but it wasn't like the guests were partying or anything.
Lighting in the room was poor, not really enough to be able to read in bed, or not for me anyway.
The bathroom was really only just adequate, small with inadequate shelves or towel rail/hooks and with a small shower recess behind a corner curtain.
Cleaning was not as good as it could be. I think the bathroom only received one reasonably thorough clean in the three nights I was there. Likewise while the hotel has adopted the idea of soap dispensers rather then providing cakes of soap the dispenser in the shower recess was empty and remained so for my three night stay,
So, if you want location and can handle all the negatives this is a good option but for me only at the last minute and if I can get it a very good rate.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo