“Friendly service and great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Swissotel Sydney

Swissotel Sydney
Ranked #15 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Hamlyn Terrace, Australia
“Friendly service and great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed here just one night and got a great deal from the Swissotel website. We paid $259 for a king bed room, buffet breakfast, $50 spa voucher and $50 Westfield voucher. What an awesome deal.

Upon arriving we were greeted by concierge with a warm smile and asked if we wanted them to take our bags to our room. We then proceeded to the reception area. The reception area is clean and spacious. Some renovations are being done to the bar/restaurant area but no excess noise at all. The reception staff once again were extra friendly, helpful and efficient. The whole process took no more than a couple of mins. ALL staff were helpful and friendly :)

Our room was large, spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. The bathroom had a bath, large shower and large basin area. The room was air conditioned which was very quiet. The best part was the bed that had numerous pillows (6 pillows) of different firmness. It really was a nice room.

We didn't use the pool but we looked at it and it looked nice (not very big) but was outside which in winter might be a little cold. My wife used the spa treatment available which she absolutely loved and still talks about it. She is pregnant and they provided a great service to her.

The location is great. Right in the middle of the shopping district of Sydney with the hotel being directly on top of Westfield shopping centre, Queen Victoria Building opposite, few minutes walk to train, State Theatre directly opposite and all other areas within close proximity (darling harbour, circular quay, etc).

The only downsides would be the renovation works being done and the buffet breakfast was average. In saying this we were notified at time of booking and checking in. The buffet breakfast was then in the lobby but no major interruptions. We can't complain about renovations as this only means it will be even better the next time we stay.

We absolutely loved the Swissotel. Cannot fault at all. Thanks for the great experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dprebble
SSYSwissotel, General Manager at Swissotel Sydney, responded to this review, 24 May 2012

Warm greetings from Swissôtel Sydney.

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am pleased you had a pleasant experience with us.

It is through feedback such as yours that we work to maintain the level of service and quality provided by the hotel to ensure every guest stay is an enjoyable one.

As you understand there is no appropriate time to renovate. However, we are pleased you are looking to return to Swissôtel Sydney.

Thank you once again and we look forward to personally welcoming you back.

Email: EmailUs.Sydney@swissotel.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I was lucky enough to stay at this hotel overnight recently for my birthday and had the most wonderful experience. Before I arrived, I rang the hotel to confirm a few details and the staff answered all my questions promptly and without hesitation.

I arrived at the hotel very early in the morning, long before check in, and was met with a super friendly porter who took my bags into storage until check in that afternoon while I did some shopping ( a MUST for anyone if you have time).

After an entire day of shopping I walked into the hotel- where you are met by the porters who seeng me with armfulls of bags escorted me to the 8th floor for check in. Check in was a breeze and within 10 minutes I was in my room (1616) with luggage and shopping.

After the porter left, I walked into the standard room (1616) and was found a wonderfully large room with a king bed and huge walk in shower. The separate shower is a must for me and one of the reasons I picked this hotel. On the desk was a card from staff wishing me a happy birthday with a complimentary bottle of wine and box of chocolates. This touch was lovely and started my stay off well.

Great night sleep, wonderful location for shopping of any kind - especially close to Louis Vuitton and Burberry (only 2 blocks away).

Buffet breakfast was wonderful, so many choices and all perfect temp.

If you get a chance check out the day spa- best day of relaxing ever.

A must visit for anyone wanting a wonderful stay, great staff and fantastic location. I will be back very soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank mw415
SSYSwissotel, General Manager at Swissotel Sydney, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your support and kind feedback. I am pleased that you had a lovely experience staying with us. I will most certainly share your wonderful feedback with my team members.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Swissôtel Sydney.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I booked on last minute as I was having a night (28th April) to myself during breast cancer treatment. From the moment I checked in by Ahmed (very lovely) - all the staff were friendly and very obliging. I was upgraded to the executive room and the Stuart the employee in the executive lounge provided exemplary service, chatting to all and prompt with top ups and cleaning away of plates. The room was beautiful. Crisp linen, soft and fluffy doona, very comfortable bed and great bathroom with separate bath. Everything was spotless. Nothing was every a problem to any of the staff. I would definately stay there again. I may even take my husband next time :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Julie74Sydney

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

I had recently gone for a 6 days trip to Sydney with my husband and we decided to stay in Swissotel due to the proximity to the monorail station. Indeed, the hotel location was strategic and the room was really cosy and spacious. Staff at the hotel entrance (but not the reception) were also friendly and they knew their way around.

However,there were certain services that were truly disappointing.

Firstly, we had specially requested for disposable slippers, toothbrush & toothpaste to be made available for us. But upon check in, none of these items can be found. We had called for room service but it took really long to come. I then dropped an email to feedback on this but was told it has to be requested by the room. Hello! I already requested way before I even arrived into Sydney.

Secondly, we had asked if water will be provided to us on a complimentary & daily basis. Again, this was asked via email way before the trip; and the answer was YES, and that we can get from the Swiss Service if needed. Again, when we checked in, no water in the room. We called for the Swiss Service who said they do not provide water. I tried to tell them we have emailed to request so we waited really long and someone sent 2 bottles over and told us that it will only be given to us on the first day. This action made us feel like we are begging for water?!! Again, I emailed to reconfirm on this, then I was told that drinking water is complimentary from In-room dining but not Swiss Service. This means the earlier information I was given was either wrong or an empty promise. In anyway, we decided to just buy from the convenience store instead of begging for water everyday.

I know things like water and toiletries are but very small things, but it's the little things that add to your inconvenience and make your stay less comfortable. And all these made us feel that the hotel did not value us as in-house guests. Before we arrived, every request asked through email seems to be alright but once we arrived, every request seems to be so difficult.

In conclusion, we will not stay at Swissotel again if we should visit Sydney the next time. It was definitely not the kind of experience that we were expecting from a 5 star hotel.

We also feel that the staff at the reception were not very familiar with the city itself - perhaps because there were not locals. Basic questions on which factory outlets to visit and how much is the booking fee for taxis could not be answered promptly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sambliss2016

Warm greetings from Swissôtel Sydney.

I am dissapointed to read your comments and will address them with the appropriate team members.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

We use the Swissotel chain because we have always found their service to be exemplary and they have expresso machines in room worldwide. We stayed at the same hotel last year and because we booked a childs room it wasnt on the executive floor but they gave us access as goodwill anyway as we had status.

This year I booked a last minute deal via wotif and we were given the basic room on the lowest floor with no bathrobes or complimentary water which was probably reserved for these kind of deals. I was dismayed there was no coffee maker, they didnt have one in stock so agreed to give us coffee which they did not need to do so which was a nice gesture. Unfortunately the beds were not particularly comfortable in this configuration

The kids love the outdoor pool and spa which has always been empty when we have visited (English being prepared to swim outdoors in far lower temperatures than the locals and the breakfast is good, although currently going through refurb so its in a conference room which is a bit cramped currently.

The staff were all very helpful and agreeable, but the Swissotel loyalty program has undergone an overhaul and where before upgrades and free breakfast was easy to attain now and after 10 stays we were not entitled to free wifi which I think is a flaw for a business hotel.

Room Tip: book direct with the hotel