“Nice hotel, excellent service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Sydney

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #24 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Nice hotel, excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed here a few weeks ago for a meeting. I arrived after 9pm, and so checkin and concierge service was prompt.
Room was spacious, and the blockout blind for the window worked well.
Bed was OK with lots of pillows.
The bathroom was starting to look a little tired, but the shower worked nicely, and good bright lighting.
Our meeting was in the Premier's room, which was beautiful. Staff were excellent and the Nespresso was strong!
I had breakfast which was tasty, and was in the end room with an interesting view onto the street.
Literally a stone's throw from Circular Quay, so I had a nice morning walk down to the Opera House.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Thanks so much for your review, it does sound like you certainly enjoyed the surrounds of the hotel as well as location.

With regards to the bathroom, we are currently making plans to brighten up our rooms.

Thank you again and hopefully we shall be able to welcome you once again in the very near future.

Fred Matti
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend in February, the room was quite nice and very clean, bathroom a bit dated but for 5 star I expected something a bit more opulent. It was a great location, only a couple of minutes walk to Circular Quay. We also booked this room through Expedia - mystery hotel. Our room did not have a very good view mostly over office blocks, I also felt the blind did not keep out the afternoon sun. We did not have the breakfast as we thought it was quite expensive and it did not come with the room price. On arrival in a cab, no one offered to take our bag and no one showed us to our room, which is what I expected in this type of hotel. On checkout there was a very long line, they did offer the choice of checkout through a post box, but as we did not have a chance to view the account before hand this was not really a very good option. I also think that because we booked online through Expedia we were treated a little like second class guests. Probably the best thing about the hotel (if you ask) is that after checkout our flight was not for several hours and they allowed us up to the pool / gym area to take a shower or freshen up at no extra charge. All in all for under $350 per night it was a nice hotel in a good location just nothing more. Internet was very expensive $25 per day.

Room Tip: If you don't expect a fancy hotel but one in a good location this is great.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Appreciate the time you have taken to write your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel and it seems your mystery reservation was for a Superior City Side room. I can only suggest on your next visit to book a package which includes breakfast.

Your arrival experience has been shared with our Director of Rooms, my apologies our Bell Team failed to assist you with luggage.

Also, with your room account, it can be checked via your TV to enable you to do instant check out rather than waiting, especially when the hotel is very busy.

Thank you again and I do hope overall you had a great stay and will return in the near future.

Your sincerely
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed here a couple of times last year.
Both times were great, except for the unwanted upgrade.

I can't say which room I booked or received but I know they gave me a free upgrade that I did appreciate but, didn't want or except. I believe the upgraded room had a bath and balcony but no spa, I luv spa's :)

Room Tip: Ask for possible free upgrades ;)
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RobbedByCambridge
Thank you for your review. It is great to know you enjoyed your stay and I do ask on your next stay, just mention to us that you may not wish to upgrade. Happy to assist where ever we can to ensure your stay is enjoyable.

Look forward to having you back with us.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stay at the Intercon when we have a special occasion to attend in Sydney.
We recently stayed here for one night after getting an online deal. Our stay was lovely, with a spotless, newly refurbished, well laid-out room, friendly valet parking men and check-in staff, and possibly the best hotel breakfast I’ve ever had (or seen).
I was however, left a little disappointed and felt as though we were treated as second-class guests – perhaps due to booking online? In particular, we were given a room close to the lifts – which would normally be absolutely fine, but with a sick husb, and a lot of noise from a crew of wedding guests when we checked in at 6:45pm, we asked to move rooms (nicely – perhaps too nicely?) we were told that no others - in our class of rooms - were available.
Then a $100 security fee took two weeks – and about 5 phone calls to be removed from my credit card despite the hotel being paid-for upfront, there being no damage, and we didn’t have anything from the minibar or in-house.
The intercon has everything you’d need to have a lovely time in Sydney. it remains my choice for a special weekend in sydney. But while the staff are very friendly, I think the system at the Intercontinental differentiates between guests, and as someone who books through an online reservations site, it’s pretty clear that i am at the bottom of the Intercon’s food chain.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate that you have taken the time to write your reivew and generally found all to be as expected.

I would like to assure you it makes no difference whether a guest books on line or direct with the hotel or via a travel agent. In fact majority of reservations are made on line.

I do understand you paid prior to arrival for the room, the $100 pre authorisation is very normal in all hotels. This is to cover the cost of any incidentals which may be purchased such as mini bar, room service. Regrettably there are cases when guests do leave without checking out and paying for items. If this amount is not used it is refunded to the credit card immediately on departure by the hotel. Unfortunately this amount can take your bank a little time to clear the funds. I am sorry that you experienced a delay with this.

Next time you wish to visit, just mention you would prefer to be located away from elevators and I am very sorry for any disturbance by a wedding group. If we have rooms available for a room move this is not a problem at all but when the hotel is at full capacity and there are no available rooms, this is the only time we are unable to assist.

I hope I have been able to clarify a few points and we do hope to welcome you back again in the near future. Thank you again.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed at the Intercon when we missed our flight home. This hotel has an amazing location! Not even two blocks from Circular Quay- with the Harbor Bridge and Opera House for your enjoyment. There are many restaurants and bars all in the area and the ferries are all right there as well-- making it easy to explore! The hotel staff was great and the rooms were wonderful.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your review. Agree that the location is wonderful when seeing the sights of Sydney.

So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you again.