“Great location, beautiful hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Sydney

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #19 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Great location, beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is beautiful, the service is good, but the location is supreme. Unfortunately, we were busy doing other things and spent very little time at the hotel which in turn made us doubt the price we paid. If you're going to spend more time at the hotel, I would recommend it. If not, its probably not worth the money. I would definitely go back though.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed at this Hotel from 14th - 19th February in a Club King Opera House view room. I was attending a conference in Sydney during the week and my wife joined me for the final two days of the stay.

This was the first time I had stayed at this hotel - we usually stay at the Four Seasons or the Westin.

I would rate my arrival as a 1 out of 10. It was not busy at Reception and the Receptionist who checked me in was quite surly. There was certainly no 'Welcome to the InterContinental Hotel." It was very matter of fact and here's your key.

I was surprised at the small size of the room, particularly the bathroom. The shower was in the bath tub with a plastic shower curtain. Also, the bathroom had only 1 sink. I was expecting more for a Club King room. The king sized bed was the smallest king size bed I have ever slept in and for me, was not that comfortable. My wife found the bed to be very comfortable.

After my very unwelcoming reception experience and my initial impressions of the room, I wished at that point, I had kept my booking at the Four Seasons.

Room service was OK. I ate in the room for three of the nights. On every occassion the person taking the order over-promised and under-delivered. Each night they told me that it would be up in 30-35 minutes. On two of the nights it was 50 minutes plus before the food was delivered.

But the longer I stayed at the hotel, the more I enjoyed it. The view was incredible - these Opera House rooms face the harbour and look straight out onto the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. The location is down the Circular Quay end of town. It was probably about a fifteen minute walk to the main shops in the centre of town. But this location is very convenient if you are going to travel on the Sydney ferries to the beatiful surrounding areas and attractions like Watson's Bay, Taronga Zoo, Double Bay & Manly.

The Club lounge was interesting. Staff were very professional, friendly and generally attentive. Breakfast buffet was just like any other basic buffet - nothing special here. Afternoon tea comprised a selection of small cakes, scones and some finger sandwiches. The evening cocktails were served from 5.00 pm to 7.00 pm - the views were amazing from the Club lounge at this time of day. There is a menu of drinks to choose from - if you deviate from that list you then pay for what you order (I have never struck this before) - there is no champagne on the list - that was $30+ per glass. There is no food put out to help yourself - you are served a chef's platter of 3 different hors d'oeuvres at your table - that is it. The hors d'oeuvres were consistently good and very well presented and each hors d'oeuvre was explained by a very polite young waiter with a great French accent. We have enjoyed many club lounges over the years - this one was the most unusual in terms of their offering.

Rod Stewart and his family were staying here during his Syndey concerts and we saw them in the Club lounge for breakfast.

The Club lounge always seemed very hot - it felt like the air-conditioning was not working.

Overall, we enjoyed our time at this hotel. It is certainly not the most luxurious five star hotel you could stay at in Sydney - but location is great, views are stunning and staff are very well trained, professional and friendly.

Room Tip: Book a high floor Opera House facing view room - the views were stunning.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Travelwriter63
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I do hope you have received our private message to enable us to follow up on some of your feedback. This is very important to us.

I am pleased that after your initial arrival you did seem to enjoy the remainder of your stay.

I look forward to receiving further information from you.

Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Location close to Eastern Distributor on and off ramp which is convenient. Also a minute walk to Circular Quay (Rocks, Opera House). A bit of a walk to the Pitt St Mall shops but use the 555 free bus at the Circular Quay bus stop - does the city circuit at 10 minute intervals. Hotel is well presented and rooms are very clean and well furnished. However, bathrooms looked dated and could do with an upgrade. Beds great and towels nice and thick. Great views. Gym was good but very hot the day I visited around 5pm. The room service was good except the dessert was not to my liking (creme caramel). Breakfast buffet was good also but expensive at $40. Service is fantastic, professional, attentive and friendly from valet parking, check in and check out, and particularly liked the Instant Service phone function. I had trouble logging onto the hotel wifi for an urgent message I needed before leaving for an appointment. The lady who helped me gave me free 30 minutes in the Business Centre and helped save the day as I picked up my message on the way out. This happened around 5pm 22 Feb so I hope this is read by management and she is commended. Will definitely stay again soon.

Room Tip: Upper floors get a great view. Corner rooms are the best.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review it is appreciated.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the location to be easy access to all areas of Sydney.

Please rest assured all guest comments are shared with team members on a daily basis. We also acknowledge colleagues who have been highlighted by guests for the outstanding service.

Thank you again and we do look forward to having you stay once again in the near future.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have stayed here for a short business trip and booked this hotel as soon as I knew I was going to Sydney. I heard so much about it, especially about the Club lounge and the "Best View" of Opera House and Bridge in the city.

The hotel pleased me a lot, because of :
A) Location, Location, Location
B) service. Especially since they employ and train so many young people with great ambitions and great customer service, this is definitely good.
C) one of the best Club lounges am. InterContinental can offer. Even tops the one in Dubai...

I would definitively return, even though this is a grand dame and not one of the brand new InterContinentals, but especially since it has that soul it is attractive.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank ck050877
Very pleasing to read your review.

We do have a great team who enjoy daily providing our guests with a memorable stay.

I am pleased that we impressed you and do look forward to welcoming your return.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel and can highly recommend it. My husband is a Ambassador program member so we have stayed at many Intercontinentals and it lives up to the high standard within the group. We stayed in room 2505 and the views were spectacular. The room was very comfortable and spacious. We were asked if we wanted a late checkout, paper and had fruit in our room. We also paid for Club Lounge facilities which I'm sure would have one of the best panoramic views of Darling Harbour and the Opera House. The food was great, the breakfast choice plentiful. I even walked in one morning to be confronted with Rod Stewart having his.
Couldn't fault the service, position or ambiance with this hotel. A great stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Lisa L
Pleasure to read your review thank you. The benefits of being an Ambassador are certainly worthwhile and I am pleased you did enjoy everything about your stay.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming your return very soon.