“This hotel's got the views”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #25 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“This hotel's got the views”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel and can highly recommend it. My husband is a Ambassador program member so we have stayed at many Intercontinentals and it lives up to the high standard within the group. We stayed in room 2505 and the views were spectacular. The room was very comfortable and spacious. We were asked if we wanted a late checkout, paper and had fruit in our room. We also paid for Club Lounge facilities which I'm sure would have one of the best panoramic views of Darling Harbour and the Opera House. The food was great, the breakfast choice plentiful. I even walked in one morning to be confronted with Rod Stewart having his.
Couldn't fault the service, position or ambiance with this hotel. A great stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Lisa L
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Pleasure to read your review thank you. The benefits of being an Ambassador are certainly worthwhile and I am pleased you did enjoy everything about your stay.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming your return very soon.

Fred Matti
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed here after our reception. Checked in to the 26th floor with eastern harbor views (great!). Rooms were very nice & clean. We were offered a free late check out but we didn't arrive until after midnight. Breakfast was great. Location is very close to circular quay & the botanical gardens are right across the road.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank jasmine_paul
Your review was a pleasure to read and it is pleasing to know that your special day was thoroughly enjoyed with us.

Hopefully you will decide to return and celebrate your first wedding anniversary with us.

We look forward to welcoming you once again.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Have stayed at the intercon bangkok, ho chi minh and now sydney.

Service was poor. Air conditioning vent had grease marks around it. First room had no iphone charger but second room did. Shower in a bath ? I thought that went out with grandmas house.

Overall poor quality and do not believe it rates with other intercontinentals which are truly 5 star. I would rate it a 4 1/2

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank Aussiemikesyd
Thank you for writing your review following your stay a 1 year ago. It is a shame to read that we did not meet your expectations.

Hopefully you will reconsider returning in the future and you shall depart with a positive impression.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The InterContinental Sydney is everything you'd expect from a 5 star hotel. Perfect location within walking distance of the Opera House and Circular Quay.

The staff are very professional and efficient. I required the usage of the Business Centre which was more than adequate.

The rooms are comfortable, clean and have all modern fittings. The breakfast was outstanding, a great start to the day.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Mikey-st1
Your review is appreciated, thank you.

The location of InterContinental Sydney is wonderful for seeing the sights of Sydney and I am very pleased to read that you found our staff to be of a very high standard.

Thank you again and hopefully you will return to us soon.

Port Stephens, Australia
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed for one night on the 7 January 2012 in room 1401. We had just joined the Ambassador program using our points. We also stayed two years ago with my husband’s boss with me booking the accommodation as I had always wanted to stay at the Intercontinental. I have to say the first experience was great and thankfully left an impression on our bosses as well. We were only talking about it the other day and they remarked that it was the best hotel they have stayed in Sydney. We were hoping with our booking in January for a repeat experience and it was so much better than we anticipated and I have high standards.

We also just joined as Ambassador members as well so were looking forward to the extra touches especially the late checkout of 4pm. We were on a package that included breakfast and valet parking. Can I just say the breakfast was out of this world. It was such a sensory experience. The best breakfast we have ever had. I honestly could not stop touching and looking at everything and next time will pause on the coffee to have later at the end of my breakfast. To other guests go early and leave time to really enjoy. It was so different to the breakfast we have a few years earlier. A great investment as it was the highlight of our stay. I cannot remember the name of those yoghurts and must as they were in such cute bottles, organic and the farmers deserve so much credit. To those staying try and stay on a package with breakfast included as it really is a must you will not be disappointed. It does appear expensive if you were paying for it not included in a package but after going there I now beg to differ. An improvement would be to have the staff in sections as we went early and at times I felt the staff was hovering yet they were always very polite.

I must admit being an experienced traveller I did Google trip advisor and was surprised the comments weren’t better. I was taken aback that customer service seemed an issue. When everyone takes the time to go away you just want it to be such a great experience as time is really precious. Well I can honestly say we were blown away. Our room was ready for us an hour earlier. I requested a high floor and though it wasn’t as high as I would have liked the room number I now believe is what counts. We were in 1401 and the views were spectacular. As Ambassador members we received complimentary fruit and bottled water, there was a Mind/Body magazine and a surprise - a beautiful bottle of red wine. This was a really nice touch as everyone likes surprises and if management are reading this it is really nice as most people who become Ambassadors know what extras to expect and to have a surprise well everyone needs more of those in life and it was a really nice touch. The only suggestion is before saying the room is ready is to ensure these are in the room prior to showing the guests as people will have expectations and then enter and in my mind I was thinking where are the extras. I said to my husband let’s just go out and I am sure they will be there when we return and sure enough they were. However, a better approach would be not to leave the guest wondering in the first place as first impressions count.

We went to Jamie’s Italian that night which was fantastic, finishing off at the Intercontinental as I love the interior where you can have a nightcap. It was great not to rush the next morning so the choice of a late checkout is a great idea and feels like we had more time away and will encourage us to be back for another short weekend soon. Can I just say as repeat Ambassadors try and keep up that element of surprise for our next trip and for other travellers as it really made a difference? I have to also say I found the staff always polite and always smiling. I understand others may have had a different experience but we could not really fault the service. We had a sneak peak at the club level and would really like to try this next time but want to have breakfast downstairs as I am itching to go back for this experience alone.
It was truly a great two days away and felt like longer. Thank you and we hope it is just as good next time.
Lynda O and Gregory Miles

Room Tip: as well as location if you want room with Sydney Harbour view ask for room ending in 01 we had room...