“We will return”

Ranked #30 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
QLD
“We will return”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My husband and I recently stayed a couple of nights at the Four Seasons Hotel The Rocks Sydney. My memories of our stay are, outstanding customer service, and beds and pillows to die for. The staff don't only provide you with amazing attention, they genuinely look like they are pleased to do this. I can't speak more highly of this place and will be regular customers.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ester86
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2012

While my first impressions of the hotel is of a very well run and presented space I am deeply dissatisfied after two episodes that I wish to share.

On my first day at the hotel I had an episode of bleeding while sleeping. This resulted in an approximate 10cm pool of blood staining the comforter in my room. By the morning this had dried so I placed it clearly in the middle of the bed so it could be addressed by the room cleaning staff that day.

As expected my room was cleaned and I was happy to see that there was now no longer dried blood on my comforter.

Before sleep I took the comforter off my bed and was deeply disturbed to see that in fact the stain was still present. The cleaning staff had simply flipped the comforter over to hide the stain.

As a medical practitioner I am aghast. Your cleaning staff have not only failed to address a significant biological risk, they have also deceptively hidden the stain rather then change the linen.

This leaves me with an impression that the staff who cleaned my room were simply “going through the motions” and makes me seriously wonder about the state of the rest of the room, i.e. were the drinking glasses in the bathroom changed? I dread to think what other risks I may have been exposed to by the negligence of staff.

The second episode of concern was while I was in the breakfast room I attempted to ask a male staff member “M..l” a question. In response he was curt, pointed directly at where my table was and told me in a voice loud enough to be heard by patrons seated near me “Go over there and wait. I’ll get to you later.”.

I stood there in shock. The people seated near looked up also confused. His tone was extremely rude and condescending. I felt embarrassed, scalded like a 5 year old boy.

I went back to my seat and about 10 minutes later M.. returned and just stated “so what do you want?”. There was no apology, no “sir I was busy and sorry I could not answer your question, how can I help?”. Just a rude, condescending attempt to get my inquiry dealt with.

Thankfully my request was filled however my impression was greatly marred by feelings of anger and embarrassment from how I felt treated. A waitress asked if everything was ok and I explained no, I was not happy and enquired who the manager was. She said it was M..l to which I said please don’t worry about this I will deal with it later.

This request was not complied with and M.. again returned. I stated that my problem was with him and how he had treated my request so I would prefer not to deal with him. Again he was flat and rude stating that if he was not good enough then I always had the option to take it up with the duty manager.

This was the option I took up.

After breakfast I requested to speak with the manager to deal with both of these issues.
The lady I spoke with was polite and offered an appearance of genuine concerned about both issues.

While she took onboard that there were two important issues that needed to be addressed she failed to acknowledge that there was also a customer who had gone out of his way to express his frustration, sadness and dissatisfaction with his purchase of accommodation at the hotel.

I am not fully convinced that the manager took on board the gravity of the significant biological risk of allowing people to sleep on body fluid stained linen.
I am not fully convinced that the manager took on board the extreme feeling of embarrassment from the treatment of the restaurant staff member.
The manager absolutely did not appreciate how I felt as a customer having been treated disrespectfully by staff of the hotel she represented.

Sadly I never received a genuine apology, I was not reassured that these events were clearly not standard for The Four Seasons and at no point was any form of welcome back or restitution offered.

While having poor customer service and health standards addressed were important to me, having my own disappointment acknowledged and some form of “we are genuinely sorry and would love to have you return for an experience free of these episodes” were never made.

When I checked out of the hotel there was no “we are sorry you had a bad stay”. I had to request feed back was from the manager about our earlier conversation. At this point she took no time to help reinforce the brand or a sincere wish for me to have a repeat stay at any time in the future.

As an American Express fine resort I feel The Four Seasons did not met their end of the customer care I would expect.

Have I expected too much or is there a genuine lack of concern for the overall impression the customers have once their money has been banked?
I hope that this review may help towards having my extreme dissatisfaction addressed and prevent similar situations for others.

Room Tip: May I suggest asking for a room that has actually been cleaned!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank gefsmith
David M, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your experiences and also the follow up phone calls and correspondence that we have had.
Your next stay is confirmed and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in a couple of weeks when I am sure you will have a wonderful stay and experience the service that Four Seasons is renown for providing.
Sincerely
David Macklin
Hotel Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

Decided to switch here as regular business hotel. First stay, two nights, did not clean room until asked after first night, after 2pm in afternoon. Took 4 requests to get laundry back more than 24 hours after it was submitted. Room service breakfast was $40 for dry scrambled eggs half cooked smoked salmon, not sure why cooked? For $330 per night....poor poor value...had better experiences in regional Australia... Nice view...small room.

Stayed May 2012
6 Thank EasygoingAussie
David M, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for passing on your feedback and the extra information we have discussed "offline".
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel this week. when I am certain we will exceed your expectations.

David Macklin
Fax:(61 2) 9251 2851
Email: david.macklin@fourseasons.com
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Had an absolutely amazing time.
My partner is currently in the army so we have to travel alot to see eachother, at the moment he is based in southern Nsw and myself in Brisbane, so the easiest place for us to meet is Sydney.
The Four Seasons provided the perfect enviroment for us to be reunited after such a long time apart. It was romantic, luxurious and the staff were absolutely wonderful. Not to mention the best part, for such a high class experience you have to expect to pay top dollar, yet it was quite a good price ! In comparison to other five star hotels on George Street it was up to $300 cheaper and just as amazing !

Absolutely loved it, we never wanted to leave!
I was ready to move in!
And the beds, THE BEST BED I'VE EVER SLEPT IT, heaven !
Will be returning for certain !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We've been to Sydney many times but this was the first time at Four Seasons. The main purpose of our stay was shopping and the hotel is a comfortable 15 minute walk to Westfields and the heart of the City. Also close to Darling Harbour, Opera House and the other tourist attractions.

The hotel is grand with a large entrance, reception and bar area and whilst probably about 20 years old it is in good nick although some areas are getting close to needing a refurb.

We had a premier room on the 9th floor with city and harbor views. The room was very large with a great bathroom, walk-in wardrobe and large flat screen TV - we couldn't ask for more. The view was disappointing though as the city view was a office building across the street and whilst we could see the Opera House from the other window (it was a corner room) we weren't high enough to enjoy it. I asked to be moved but the hotel was full and i also complained on checkout. The manager saw us and was extremely good about it and promised a higher room next time.

The breakfast was as good as you can get with a huge choice in pleasant surroundings with a man playing the piano in the background.

The gym was well-equipped and the outdoor pool and spa looked inviting.

The service from the reception to the bar, to the waitresses, to the manager was faultless and their clearly is a great staff culture in the hotel. Certainly one of the best I have experienced ever.

Without hesitation I would stay here again and the only reason I'm not rating it 5 out of 5 is the view we had.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple