“With a view to die for”

Ranked #26 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“With a view to die for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We booked a night at one of the executive grand harbour view rooms to celebrate the end of my post-grad exam and walking into the room was a sensational experience. We simply loved the view we stayed late at night and got up early in the morning to soak it all in. The king-bed was directly in front of the Opera House and the small sitting area from where the hallway inside the room leads to gave you a superb view of the Harbour Bridge. The window was however huge enough that you got great view of both iconic sights wherever you stood.

The bathroom has virtually anything you really need. And ambient lighting was amazing, adding on to the already fantastic atmosphere in the room.

We had great service with valet parking, the charges of which was reasonable.

We really have nothing to complain about this room. Everything was superb as it was meant to be for any 5-star hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jkl615
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,736)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Outstanding. Great service on check-in , after an early morning long flight from Perth. I was upgraded to an Opera House view room. The hotel was beautiful, and in the heart of the Circular Quay area. An easy walk to The Rocks, and just off George Street. Very comfortable bed, and lovely room. Pleasant toiletries, and a great relaxing bath. The speakers in the bathroom were a nice touch, so you could still listen to the tv. I appreciated the separate desk area, from which I actually didn't mind working. I checked out the view from the level 36 bar which looked stunning. The bar was busy with quite a buzz on a Thursday night. The breakfast buffet was outstanding, Delicious coffee, and such a selection of food! I was very happy with the chorizo scrambled eggs, with sides of mushrooms, hash browns, and pastries.This was a delightful stay all round.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

What a wonderful experience.

I had one night in Sydney so I thought I would treat myself to a nice hotel up at The Rocks. Check-in was effortless and I was very pleased with the room when I arrived. I chose this partly because of the room size, the bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms I have stayed in.

The bed was huge, very comfy with lots of pillows to chose from, ideal to let you sit up in bed and watch TV or read. The bathroom was enormous, my wife would probably have stayed in there for a whole weekend, there was a separate bath and shower on opposite sides on the room with a large sink and mirror unit in the middle, I did like the speakers in the bathroom to continue listening to the radio whilst I had a shower and got ready. Everything looked fairly new and worked perfectly, loads of hot water immediately.

I didn't quite work out the air-con / heating and was a bit chilly but there were big fluffy bathrobes and slippers so it really didn't matter plus maybe saved a couple of ozones along the way. There was a desk squeezed in the corner but it was perfectly adequate with good lighting plus several power points and internet.

Coffee and tea in abundance, I didn't go for the minibar but it was well stocked.

Loads of storage wherever you looked, I would have needed a couple more suitcases to fill all of them. Safe was easy to use and handily located.

Great padded window ledge with cushions, so basically you could sit on the very wide window ledge and stare at the view in comfort, the only drawback being the Four Seasons hotel next door and looking straight into their rooms.

A very nice touch, I popped out for an hour and when I returned the curtains were drawn, the bed had been folded back plus the bath mats laid out etc, I felt very welcome even though a long way from home.

Five minutes walk to The Rocks, ferries, views, restaurants, museums, sunday markets and whatever else you wanted to find.

Room Tip: Opera House City View Room. The hotel is square in shape with the flat front facing the bridge and o...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

I had a room on the 29th floor with amazing north facing views. My room was immaculate. Spacious. The buffet was excellent for lunch on level 1. The bathroom had both shower and bath. The meeting rooms we're great. There is nothing but good things to say about this hotel. The bed was comfortable as well.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mummydolphin
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

I've just celebrated my wedding anniversary with a stay at the Shangri la and an evening at the Altitude restaurant.

We were really tempted to stay at the Park Hyatt in Sydney to see what the renovations were like. I'd read some disappointing reviews on here regarding the views at the Shangri la and quality of room. But, the Horizon club and the Altitude restaurant tipped the balance in favour of the Shangri la. I'm really pleased with the result.

We arrived at floor 30 of the Horizon club to a warm and professional greeting, our bags were moved to our room while we enjoyed afternoon tea in the Horizon club. By paying extra for this meant that we didn't have to worry about the queues for breakfast and we also enjoyed the 'cocktail hour too'. Admittedly, some people needed to wait for a table during the cocktail hour but I don't think it was for too long.

Our room was great. It was large and had a wonderful view of the harbour.

Our evening at the Altitude restaurant was also wonderful with great attentive staff and really enjoyable food.

Room Tip: I'm not sure how much upgrading to the Horizon club changed our experience. But, if your there...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple