“Views to die for!”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This review is long overdue! We stayed here for our honeymoon in the Grand Deluxe room over the new years! We had a nice in-room check-in. The room had the most amazing views! We used to spend hours just looking outside at the gorgeous views of the Opera House and the bridge.

They had one of the best beds we have EVER slept on!

On the downside, don't know if are really fond of the hill we had to climb up every time to get to the hotel. The breakfast was expensive and the Fijian water in room was way too overpriced!

I would recommend it for the views!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Reviewed 27 June 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights as I wanted some 5 star luxury in the a great location. I was not dissapointed. The room was very spacious with everything that I could have wanted or needed.

The bar on the 36th floor is amazing. Even if you are not staying here I would recommend a visit. I also dinned in the restaurant on the 36th floor and has the tasting menu. I was not disapointed. Great food, wine, service and atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Service was top notch. Prices are steep. The view from the room was beautiful. Location is great as its within the history rich Rocks area. However there is a steep a$$ hill to walk up to get to the hotel. The room itself that i stayed in was a suite, not sure which one though. If you are looking for a modern room its probably not the ideal hotel for you. The room was clean and nice however its a little old fashioned.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I am glad I am only here on business. Had I been here on Vacation, I would have moved hotels by now. It is just so expensive at this hotel.

Putting that aside for a moment, the accommodation is really nice and so is the pool and gym area. The location is rather good as well; its a few minutes away from the main street so you are not directly walking on to a busy main street. My room was over looking the Opera House; Magical sun rises!
Breakfast is fantastic and so is the service that comes with it.

My only gripe are the high prices. I had a Thai Curry in my room with a plate of Broccoli and it came to $60; thats £40! I found this high charging quite offensive and it spoilt my overall experience of the hotel as I like to dine-in often.

This seems to be the general theme in Sydney but this review is about the hotel and not the City.

Would I stay here again? No.
Would I visit Sydney again? No.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the Opera House. Fantastic Sun Rise!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We actually had two different stays at this hotel on our recent trip to Sydney, our first room was a Darling Harbour view and the second an Opera House corner suite , the suite was a larger room but we prefered the Darling Harbour view.
Both room were spotless and very comfortable, beds were super comfy and the bathroom was a good size.
The staff were super friendly and helpful. The location was perfect in the Rocks, great bars and restaurants close by, I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Travellers also viewed these Sydney hotels
The Rocks
Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
The Langham, Sydney
#8 of 178 in Sydney
Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Additional Information about Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

Address: 176 Cumberland Street,The Rocks | Sydney 2000, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia
Region: Australia > New South Wales > Sydney > The Rocks
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Kitchenette Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#3 Business Hotel in Sydney
#13 Spa Hotel in Sydney
#15 Romantic Hotel in Sydney
#17 Family Hotel in Sydney
#32 Luxury Hotel in Sydney
Price Range: ₹ 13,934 - ₹ 35,812 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:5 star — Shangri-La Hotel Sydney 5*
The Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney is perfectly positioned between the iconic Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge in the historic Rocks district. Within walking distance of the city's major shopping venues and tourist attractions, the hotel offers panoramic views of Sydney Harbour. A wide selection of dining options including Australian cuisine at award winning Altitude Restaurant, Mix and Grill in the all day dining restaurant Café Mix and fabulous cocktails at the glamorous Blu Bar on 36. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA and HotelsClick so you can book your Shangri-La Hotel Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Shangri La Sydney