“Comfiest bed and best view in Oz!”

Shangri-La Hotel Sydney
Ranked #26 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Stafford, England
“Comfiest bed and best view in Oz!”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

After 30 hours en route from the UK we arrived at the Shangri La. Woke up the next morning to the sun rising over the Opera House. Wow!!!! After a road trip we returned to the Shangri La some weeks later and can confirm that the beds are the comfiest in the whole of Oz. The location is great, close to Circular Quay and the Rocks, although the short walk back up the hill to the hotel is a bit of a chore. We ate one night at the restaurant on the 36th Floor - it was the best meal we had in Australia. If we can ever afford to go back to Australia we will definitely revisit the Shangri La.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,736)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Perth
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We are a family of six and stayed at the Shangrila   hotel Sydney for 10 days between the 27th of April and 6th of May. During our stay we occupied two rooms.
The accommodation was good and the food at the altitude restuarant the hotels flagship restuarant  was absolutely  amazing. The rooms have great views of Sydney harbour and all in all the facilities are  good.
We  paid for our accomodation in advance and made  use of the hotels parking facilities to park our vehicle.
However during our stay we were humiliated by the hotel.
 On returning to the hotel one afternoon my daughters were denied access to their room. There key cards had been deactivated.
The reason being that we had exceeded the amount held by the hotel on my credit card ie restuarant and room service charges.  My daughters could only get access once I had produced my credit card. I produced my credit card and the matter was resolved.

Did the hotel think we were going to abscond without paying,  even though we had a vehicle in the basement had paid in advance and the hotel did have my credit card details! Surely it is illegal to do something like this, how could they lock my daughters out of their room considering that my daughters jewelry, clothing, laptops, video cameras and other valuables in the room they were being locked out of? This is so disgusting.

The staff treated my daughters like criminals. Was this because they were young women. Surely they could have handled the situation better. If my wife and I were not returning until the next day our daughters would have been locked out of their room stuck in a strange city with nowhere to go.

When I complained to the staff I was told that messages were sent to me explaining the position. I challenged the staff as I check hotel messages every morning and evening and there were none and I was unable to access my bill through any of the hotels communication ports ie TV and phone.

I find this treatment unacceptable.
This was a deprivation of liberty.
We have stayed in hotels throughout the world and have never been treated in such a disgraceful and  humiliating  manner.

This kind of treatment may in fact,  be acceptable to the hotel. I expressed my dissapointment to the hotel management and they  responded with an apology left on the room telephone.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank garygarson
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I stayed at Shangri La in sydney for 2 nights on our wedding night and the night after. Nothing was too hard for the staff and it was a lovely way to end our wedding day! The buffet breakfast is amazing also! We will be back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 7 May 2012

What a great hotel! We stayed 2 nights in April and asked for a room with "Grand Harbour View" We certainly got it.The Opera House to the right, the bridge to the left. The room was spacious with two massive double beds. Everything was clean. The breakfast was great-everything you could want. Fair enough, the room with breakfast was not the cheapest-$405 per night, but for a special treat it was excellent. The service was good, from the receptionist to the waiters.Also in excellent posiition for the Rocks and Circular Quay.We could not fault it!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors to get the best views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We booked an "Executive Grand Harbour View Suite" (twin share) at Shangri-La for a girlie weekend away. When we arrived, we were treated to sensational valet service and friendly faces. Upon check-in we were upgraded to the "Governor Suite" - It was AMAZING! Pure elegance. Throughout the weekend we were treated to complimentary snacks and drinks including high tea in the afternoon and canapés in the evening. During our stay we decided to treat ourselves to the day spa which was also perfection. The girls working there were thorough, friendly and very professional. The Day Spa itself was also beautifully decorated, with an extremely tranquil, warm ambiance. We were always treated like VIP's, and given the highest level of customer service. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who expects personalised, high level customer service as well as elegance and luxury.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends