“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Hong Kong, China
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

The hotel is well situated, nice design (small) rooms, efficient check in and check out and many other positive things. The personnel is friendly and well trained and efficient in servicing the guests. But...

* Food and beverage is of really poor quality. I had a few times dinner and lunch in the hotel and the food was really disappointing. I ordered a Shiraz glass of wine in the Zeta bar which was undrinkable. I was really wondering what they did to truly ruin the food...

* I asked for a late check out at 3 pm which is normally one of the "give and gets" of a Diamond member. Though, I got as an answer that the hotel is fully occupied and that this can only be granted if I pay for it. When I pointed out that this is something which is complementary for Diamond members, she answered me "only if available" (she clearly learned her stuff). Though, Hilton, explain me how a room is not available for free and is available if you pay for the late check out ? Has more to do with greed than with availability, right ? With the price I paid for the room (400 Aussie dollars), I would expect less greed...

* My room (3604) had a connecting door to the room next door. Of course, the door is securely locked, but all noise of the room next door comes through. No isolation at all ! You can follow every conversation, television program and more. Make sure you avoid at all costs the rooms with connecting door.

Mixed feelings about the hotel. Not sure if I will stay there again. There might be better options in Sydney.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not have a connecting door.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tk100964
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback which we greatly appreciate.

I am delighted you were pleased with our service, overall. I have taken on board your comments pertaining to the quality of the wine selection in Zeta Bar and we are in fact reviewing the current Wine List with our Bar Management. I have relayed your comments about the food to our Executive Chef accordingly; however please do not hesitate to contact us directly with further details of your experience.

Where possible, we always endeavour to honour a complimentary late check out for our guests; and as you’re aware this is subject to availability. Please be assured our late check out fees are in line with other 5 star hotels. When running at full occupancy, a fee exists for such reasons as the cleaning delays incurred and consequently the late release of the guestroom for the following check in. I do hope you can understand and we sincerely regret any disappointment caused.

Once again we thank you for your overall feedback which helps us identify areas where we can improve; and I hope we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney sometime in the future.

Michael Bourne
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Most of the rooms have been newly refurbished and higher rooms have great views of Sydney Heads and the city. It's right in the heart of the CBD so you can walk practically everywhere, easy to get cabs and public transport.

The rooms are small and the windows are small vertical slits but they have done a good job with a small space, large bed, good workable desk, chaise lounge and all rooms have a bath.

Not really the kind of place for a romantic night, perfect for business travellers with all the facilities and service you'd expect.

Buffet breakfast is pricey but incredibly vast - it's in the beautiful Glass Brasserie with views to the majestic Queen Victoria Building.

The pool and gym are part of a commercial gym in the basement. Nothing to write home about here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I am glad you were pleased with our hotel; and should you prefer a romantic getaway we do offer Romance packages, most suitable in our Relaxation rooms.

We all look forward to serving you again in the not too distant future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed for the second time at the Hilton Sydney. Great location, is an easy walk to most attractions, staff are friendly and professional. My only whinge is that we couldnt get a standard guest room and paid for the deluxe room however there really seemed to be not much of a difference in the rooms, especially not $150 difference. For the money, the Hilton standard guest room is fine. I also dislike having to pay for wifi in your room, even though I know it is clearly stated when booking that this is policy, I think for the price and that Hilton is a luxury brand, wifi should be complimentary. Overall though I would still stay here but take my own iPad with 3G.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

With regards to the variance in room types, our deluxe rooms offer 4 point bathrooms (in comparison to the Aquavision shower within our standard guest rooms) and also have the benefit of magnificent views as a result of being located higher up the tower.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will see you again in the very near future.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder. The Sydney Hilton epitomises both Beauty and perfection and is suitable for many purposes be it business or pleasure. In my situation I had been spending some time with my girlfriend at the time. The staff are very well trained, qualified and respectful. The smell is very pleasant and the facilities are world class. The healthclub, the restaurant, the spa, the business centre and the rooms are worldclass and I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody wanting to enjoy the wonderful hospitality which Hilton is renowned for all around the world.

Room Tip: Plan and book ahead.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your lovely comments.

At Hilton, we are passionate about delivering exceptional guest experiences and it is always pleasing to read that this has been the case.

I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Can't speak highly enough of this hotel. Wonderful stay ... just perfect. Conference facilities were great, room beautiful, service excellent, fitness centre fabulous. Wonderful location within walking distance to all the sights.

Room Tip: Higher the better - views are amazing.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KayMacc
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted you enjoyed the hotel and all its facilities; and hope you will have the chance to visit again soon.