“Good Location, Decent Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vibe Hotel Sydney

Vibe Hotel Sydney
Ranked #66 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Southern NJ
“Good Location, Decent Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

What did we like about the Vibe?

Its number one asset, we felt was the front desk staff. No matter what question we asked, we got excellent answers that were actually accurate. (This is in direct contrast to the front desk staff at a Savannah, GA boutique hotel where we stayed last fall!) If we needed dinner recommendations, we got them. One staff member recommended taking the train to one stop past the Sydney Harbor Bridge and then walking back across the bridge. A staff member also helped us figure out how to take a train to get to the Girl Guides shop which had moved from three blocks away to an industrial park on the way to the airport. Another staff member told us they did not call cabs, but she assured us we would have no trouble getting a cab at 4 am to get to the airport. True! We had a cab in 10 seconds.......

We are walkers, and we really liked the location of the Vibe. Close enough to walk back from The Rocks, close to Darling Harbour and Chinatown.......Also close to the Town Square Mall which had a Coles Supermarket, a liquor store, various shops--pretty much whatever we were going to need.

Also, the hotel was only about two blocks from the train station, so we were able to take the train from the airport and pull our bags those two blocks instead of paying for a cab from the airport.

This hotel is not as hip as we thought based on the pictures......and each night a different senior citizens bus tour seemed to be pulling up to the hotel! Gotta fill those rooms! Our room was a very good size for a city hotel, good sized and comfortable king size bed, large bathroom. The TV was a plasma that was very small for the size of the room and which had virtually no channels. We elected to read and compute instead. Walls seemed a bit thin, since I could hear a person coughing next door now and then.

Internet is a rip-off $25 Aus per day, but there was a 3 day package that made it like $20 a day.

We were on the 9th floor. Good news: that's the floor where the exercise room and the rooftop pool are located. Bad news: the elevator stops at the 8th floor. Start climbing! The front desk offered to bring our bags up, but my husband likes to do it himself, so he got some more exercise.

Would I book again at the Vibe if I found myself in Sydney again? Probably. The room price was such a value when contrasted with the ridiculous rates being charged at the Rocks.

Room Tip: Remember, the elevator only goes to the 8th floor! It's walk-up to the 9th floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GreenUnicorn
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear GreenUnicorn,

Thank you for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney. I am delighted to hear that the team were helpful and you thought the rooms were clean and nice. Our number one asset is without a doubt our teams within the hotel and we are very happy to hear that you think the same.
The hotel will be getting new carpets and the public areas will also be updated in the next 6 months and I am sure this will make the property stand out even more.
Our hotel caters for all guests and we do have groups staying with us due to our great location and our larger rooms in general.
The TV’s in the rooms are all 32 inch LCD's and we have never had anyone comment on them being too small but I will have a look and review. There are about 20 channels and that is the norm in Australia. Having worked in the US myself i understand that that is not many in comparison.
The internet prices vary depending on which packages you chose, you can get internet on a daily plan for as low as $ 12.00 per day. We also do have our internet kiosk in the lobby where you can log on for 10 mins for a $ 1.00.
The 9th floor is as you have written only available via stairs from the 8th floor and we are always more than happy to help with any luggage so our guests are comfortable getting up there. All the rooms are of our Executive standard, which are larger, more airy and spacy compared to our standard rooms. This floor has direct access to our gym and our recently refurbished pool area.
I hope that you chose Vibe Hotel Sydney next time you are in Sydney and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind Regards

Hotel General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Well, this is my first time staying at Vibe Hotel, as I've seen pretty good reviews on it, and especially with the general manager commenting on each and every review on Trip Advisor, i decided to give it a shot!

What disappoint me most was on my second day of stay, i experienced the fire alarm twice, once in the afternoon and the second time at 2am midnight! That was half an hour each wasted for that day.

Besides, having the housekeeper knock and saying it's housekeeping before entering room for clean up should be normal procedures, but housekeeper opened the door in less than 1sec after knocking and DIDN'T mentioning that they are housekeepers. If only my door were not locked, she could have seen us naked!

Third experience would be THROWING MY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS away when I've placed them nicely on the table to indicate that those are important! I have my assignments, flight boarding pass and airport pick up documents thrown away! How ridiculous is that! Although the receptionist had been very nice by offering to print my documents all over again, the time required to look for all my documents and to save on my hard disk and to wait for them to print is so time-consuming! It wasted me another hour for doing all these when I didn't have to!

The hotel offered us of either free breakfast or $50 refund for the night of fire alarm. Though we took the $50 refund, but seriously, is my time wasted for all these nonsense worth only $50?

This hotel is close to the city, near the train station, has clean rooms and the design for my room looked pretty decent. HOWEVER, I DON'T THINK I AM EVER GOING TO STAY AT VIBE!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KathL_Choo
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear KathLChoo,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us.
I am very sad to read that your experience with us did not live up to the expectations and I would like to explain some of the areas from our perspective.
1) The fire alarms are installed for a reason and there were 2 issues on the day that triggered the alarm to go off. We have the alarm in place for guest safety and I am pleased that they are working. That does not mean that it is not an inconvenience, and I am sorry that you feel that way. I decided to give a discount option to all of our guests for the inconvenience and that was also offered to you.
2) The housekeeper that tried to enter your room entered after 3 knocks and clearly did not see you as you had locked the door from the inside so I am not sure what the issue is here?
3) We have spoken to the housekeeper about your missing paperwork and she insists that she has not thrown anything out from the room. I am not able to verify this and I can of course understand your frustration if this was the case. I am happy the team on the front desk offered your help to reprint these documents and we apologize for your time being wasted if this was caused by us.
Vibe hotel Sydney would love to welcome you back again and hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Please contact me directly so we can make sure your booking is prioritized should you choose us again in the future.
Again thank you for your feedback I certain we will learn from this.

Cph
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Due to an unexpected medical condition, we needed to extend our four-day visit to Sydney, and thanks to the friendly Vibe staff, an otherwise problematic situation turned out quite well. At first we needed to stay only one extra night, but just as Easter began, we needed our room yet another night. Although the hotel had lots of new guests arriving, we got a good deal and could keep our executive suite without problems.
The Danish manager even called us in our room to check on our situation. Luckily it wasn't anything ruining the rest of our trip (onwards to Christchurch) and we are happy to recommend this Vibe to other travellers.
The roof-top pool and fitness room are both quite small, but overall the standard and ambience is top. Clean and spacy room and bath, well-functioning a/c and as mentioned: friendly staff.
Can also highly recommend the Macchiato restaurant/grill on the corner of Liverpool and Pitt, just a block away. Cute waitresses and excellent food!
Another great option for dinner close to Vibe is right down Goulburn to the Civil Grill, where they serve excellent $12 signature dishes in various flavors: Steaks, burgers, seafood etc. Although you might have to wait a while for the kitchen to process your order, it is definitely worth the wait.
Vibe is located smartly in walking distance to the best of Sydney!

Room Tip: Can recommend 8th floor, close to the roof-top pool
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter J
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Peter J,

Thank you for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed the facilities within the hotel. We believe that our product is of a good quality and that our location is great.
I am very happy to hear that your Father was able to travel through to Christchurch and I hope you had a great time in NZ.
I felt it necessary to check up on your father as I knew you were both going to NZ the following day.
I hope we are able to welcome you both back soon and hope you had a great Easter.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

i stayed at the Vibe on my Honeymoon in Sydney in March 2012, and it was a nice hotel. Bed was pretty good, clean, and room service food was also pretty good. I only have a few things for would be visitors to the Vibe.One the hotel is nice, but it looks like they took an old hotel and just updated it, so its not a new place. That being said the walls are pretty thin, so some times you can hear the toilet flush, and the tv in the other room. Lucky for us, we had a corner room so it was pretty quiet. also the room could use one extra chair or couch. we only one chair, and two would have been nice. Also room service got our order wrong the first time, but they fixed really fast and gave it to us for free. What is the nice is, the subway station is one block (museum stop) over so its really close...and your in china town, so there are alot of food options around. All around a nice hotel. Oh and the computers downstairs are $2 for 10 mins...or you can get it in your room for a fee.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Politebat,
Thank you for your feedback. Vibe Hotel Sydney is not a new hotel and we don’t advertise that we are anywhere.
The hotel was taken over by Toga in 2005 and we have refurbished the hotel on an ongoing basis ever since.
We don’t want to give anyone the impression that the building is new as it is in fact more than a 100 years old. Our design of the rooms is fresh and colourful and we are different from other hotels in Sydney that is for sure.
I will most certainly check up on the issues you have raised and get them fixed today. I would like to thank you for your feedback as we learn from our guests findings all the time.

Clophill
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stated in the Vibe on a trip from UK, this was the poorest hotel of all the places we stayed, it gives the impression of a once grand hotel that has been "tarted up" in an attempt to look young and trendy, it does not work!
My biggest gripe is the lack of attention to detail and the total lack of service, this hotel is clearly trying to operate on a shoestring.
You can do better in Sydney for about the same money, don't be tempted by the discounts

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Steve L,
Thank you for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are sorry to hear that the hotel did not live up to your expectations. Vibe Hotel Sydney has been a hotel for many years and we are constantly improving the product as other hotels in the city. We are not 5 star and we are not trying to be something we are not. We believe that the product we sell is consistent of a 4 star product and that our rooms are large and airy in comparison to other hotels in the city in the same category.
We are most certainly trying our very best to look after every guest and I am sad to see that you think we are lacking attention to detail as they team is working hard to service all our wonderful guests and their requests.
Vibe Hotel Sydney values the feedback from their guests and the more detailed it is the more we can learn- both good and bad.
I hope we can deliver a better experience in the future should you return.