“Every restaurant should be just like The Bridge Room.” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Bridge Room
Ranked #97 of 5,739 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Sydney, Australia
“Every restaurant should be just like The Bridge Room.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Every restaurant should be just like The Bridge Room. It’s a big call, I realise this. So big that you probably think I’m joking. But I’m not. At all.

When I sat down to write this review – there wasn’t a bad thing to say. I couldn’t even find a snooty waiter on the floor to bring these guys back down to earth. And trust me, when I go to a restaurant that has only had good reviews (even from Terry Durack), I’m desperately searching for the flaws.

So let me share with you all the things that make this my rock-star of restaurants. Let’s start with the restaurant’s design. My dining partner described The Bridge Room as exuding “Scandinavian-chic” – and after chatting to Ross, it appears my friend has an eye for detail. Design-brand, Funkis, has, in fact, asked to develop a line based on Ross’s designs. The interior is minimalistic with a pale-oak theme with the only lashings of colour coming from the huge cactis-type plants lining the restaurant and the retro-coloured water glasses. And yet, despite the simplicity, it was not sterile at all. Just warm and friendly.

Bubbly waiters bounced around the restaurant, eager to please the tablefuls of men in suits. On what I thought would be a quiet Tuesday, the restaurant was full to the brim, with a youthful energy that is hard to avoid. I looked around, trying to work out where this liveliness was stemming from. On several occasions through our meal, I looked up to see Ross, smiling over the restaurant, from the open-kitchen at the back. The decor adds something but it is the people inside it that make the most impact. Some places just have a little bit of “oomph”.

But, to the food. This is when The Bridge Room went from John Farnham prominence to The Beatles stardom. An entree from the specials menu set the standard for the meal. Six sizeable prawns arrived in a cast-iron hot pot. The garlicky-oil base of the dish highlighted the sharp flavours of the crunchy fennel salad. Topped with crisp basil leaves and scattered with fresh dill, it was the perfect harmony of Modern Australian and Asian flavours.

If ocean trout is ever on the menu – I have to order it. Call me boring but no other dish will ever compete. There is something about the richness of the ocean trout that just brings its sister-fish, salmon, to shame. And Ross’ ocean trout did not disappoint. Placed on top of the crisp skin was a diced mussel salad, that, combined with the tomato and cumin thick broth-type base, worked like magic. The Mediterranean flavours of the grilled capsicum and tomato base cut through the richness of the fish. Then, there was the crunch from the skin, the smoothness from the tomato base, the graininess from the mussel salad and the creaminess from the fish flesh. I experienced every type of texture in that one dish. I wish I could elaborate on every dish we experienced but it is all gush, gush, gush. In fact, I could gush all day long about The Bridge Room.

Anna Lisle, Best Restaurants of Australia

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Sydney, Australia
“Great new addition to Sydney Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I had heard about this relatively new Restaurant to the Sydney Dining scene, and was delighted when I was invited there for lunch.
The restaurant has a casual professional atmosphere, where the service is very good.
The service is matched by the quality of the food, which was excellent.
The Menu is small, with just enough choices to please everyone.
I had been sick for the previous 2 days, so I had a simple lunch without wine.
The fish was cooked to perfection.
A great new addition to Sydney. I will be back.

• Visited February 2012
Sydney, Australia
“A lovely meal in a nice setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We are always searching for new places to eat in Sydney and beyond. We read the reviews and troll through magazines. We lap up what others have said and enjoy comparing the real critics' opinions with our own as simple food lovers. We had read great opening reviews of The Bridge Room and decided to give it a place on our Friday night date night schedule.

We were not disappointed. My husband had the raw Wagyu with mushrooms for entree and the Duck for main course. They were both excellent tastes, although the choice of mushroom with the Wagyu lacked umami, and they showed delightful whimsy. The duck was perfectly cooked and there was no hint of the fatty taste that one can sometimes get from duck dishes even in much lauded Michelin starred restaurants. My choices were a little more staid - but possibly, whilst it was a less exciting option, my craving for the medium rare Wagyu for main, was delightful. The side salad was interesting and was not the traditional green salad. The potato mash was perfect.

The desserts were good. They looked interesting and the tastes were fine. Coffee Campos - Yay!

The service was good. The room is long and thin and as a result very private feeling. You can see the kitchen from the whole restaurant, but not so that it intrudes.

Would I recommend it? Yes definitely. There are only about 7 restaurants which I would personally recommend above The Bridge Room in Sydney but the Bridge Room is certainly going to be a place to which we will return a few times per year. It was private and personal and inviting and they delivered thoughtful well-balanced flavours.

It is only a 5 minute walk from Circular Quay. Up behind the Museum. Like all Sydney city restaurants, you would easily be able to walk from the hotels in the city.

Incidentally, parking is hard in this area, so check before you park in a carpark that it is actually open late. And it might be important that there is no view, but the food takes centre stage. Tourists beware, there are many restaurants in Circular Quay where the view has to make up for woeful food! You decide on what you want really.

• Visited February 2012
Chatswood, Australia
“Fantastic food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

A group of 5 of us went and everyone of us had a great meal, not a fault in entree, main or dessert

Scallops for entree were fantastic, wagyu beef with ginger sweet potato mash and mushrooms was also superb and the best Dessert is the Strawberry dessert - easily the best dessert around fantastic

Sydney
“Perfect for business lunch- wonderful food, very professional staff,great wine list”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We were greeted with a very warm and professional welcome. The food was excellent, interesting and they have a great varied wine list and I could not fault the service or food at all.

I will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2011