New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street

Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Average Facility with some flaws”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I never thought I'd write reviews here but after having been so convincingly encouraged by the check-out staff, I have not much choice. Working my way backwards, then, the check-out was painful since staffing levels at the front desk are wildly fluctuating (sometimes 5, sometimes 1) and when I checked out they were both giving tourists extensive and lasting instructions on how to get to the Zoo etc. The queue had 6 parties waiting!
The studio is what it says, the layout makes you feel as if you sleep in the kitchen. I had to switch off the fridge as it's humming kept me awake.
Cleaning was hit-and miss, the piece of dental floss housekeeping dropped in front of my door in the hallway was still there after 3 days when I left. Inside kitchen surfaces weren't cleaned every day.
The lifts are extremely slow, noticeably different to - say - Meriton Kent Street with which I am comparing this venue.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank COSMOPOLlTAN
Rhys A, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Dear Fopper,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell St. We welcome all feedback as it is a valuable tool to maintain and improve our product.

Our front desk does experience times of high and low traffic, but we do always aim to provide our guests with a high level of service regardless. Your comments in regard to our Housekeeping department do seem out of character and I have asked our Housekeeping Manager to investigate further.

Over all I hope you did enjoy your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards
Rhys Adams
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Whanganui, NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

For space, quality, comfort and cleanliness these would be hard to beat. Extremely well equipped from an iPod docking music system down to little containers of detergent and washing powder - you are left for nothing. The bed was perfect and my apartment (a studio) was very quiet. I barely heard any other noise.

Check-in was reasonably efficient although be warned that the full cost of your stay is charged to your credit card, plus a hold for incidentals that is refunded later. However this is explained in your booking confirmation email so it was no surprise. I also appreciated the welcome and reminder email I received a few days before arrival. Checkout was fast since there was no payment process to go through.

Location is very good for conferences or events held in Darling Harbour and it is a pleasant 15 minute or so walk to the Convention Centre. Restaurants everywhere in this area so you won't go hungry. There is a Coles Supermarket one block away in the World Centre for supplies in case you want to use the microwave, hot plates, pots and pans and dishwasher etc etc in your apartment.

If you ask for a high level room you might get a view and you'll be a long way from street noise. All very modern, clean and comfortable, if a little sterile, but really I've no complaints! Very good value too.

RT- Whanganui,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Meriton Campbell St,
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Our rooms are very well equiped, this coupled with our central location provide our guests with what we feel is a fantastic product.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Chennai, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We booked Meriton for our 7 day stay in Sydney & Gold Coast. For Sydney, we choose Campbell street. The apartment was located right at the intersection of Campbell and George street.

Also it was opposite Capital square building and Capital Square Tram Station. So no need to walk from Central station. Just a one stop ride from Central via Tram.

As usual no complaints.We got a 16th floor apartment. Receptionists were very kind. I particularly like to thank "Shen" (I think i got her name correct). She was very helpful in directions and location advise.

Rooms were great for $336 paid for 3 days. We got a 10% off for traveling Jetstar and we did booking through their website staymsa.com (booking code "FLYJET"). Not sure if its available now though.
my entire trip report for sydney and goldcoast with all photos can be found at wringg.com as well.
Room Service was good.Coles was nearby and lot of asian stores next to this place. Food is never a problem. Chinatown and Paddy market is walkable.
Free bus 555 is right across the street.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

My boss asked for a hotel with a sauna, opeining windows and a lounge area - the day before we were required to travel. Luckily the Meriton ticked all of the boxes.

The reservation process was a pain in the butt, as they do not accept credit card payment and a bank transfer had to be made. The communication from the reservation staff left a little to be desired.

Other than that the hotel and facilities were fantastic and exceeded expectations.

mkbertone,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I was very happy to read that we exceeded your expectations, and ticked all your boxes!
I understand our policy of not excepting credit card payments over the phone can sometimes be an inconvenience but Meriton Serviced Apartments feel it's an important security measure that we must provide our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Meriton Campbell St in the future.

Milkyway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I enjoyed my three nights stay at this hotel. I love the location because I can easily access many Sydney attractions just by walking or hopping on or off the Sydney CBD free shuttle (555). There are your free options that can help you save money on transportation around CBD. Be sure to plan your schedule because the shuttle only runs during certain periods.
I especially loved the fact that it is only 10 mins walk to Central Station. It is great because I had to catch a train early in the morning to get to Katoomba Station for my Blue Mountains experience.
I am satisfied with my hotel room because I like that the interior looks simple and modern but gives off a cozy feeling. The bed is comfortable and it is great that the room has laundry facilities and kitchen. I'm basically saving quite a lot of money since I chose to do my own laundry and cook during my stay there. I felt that the hotel is truly value for money and would definitely be back here again next time I'm here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Black C
Campbell Street M, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Dear Black C,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback! We're glad you had a great 3 nights stay, and enjoyed the beautiful apartments and our superb location. The Meriton Serviced Apartments are definitely dsesigned for living away from home.

Along with our team, we thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Kind regards,
Meriton Serviced Apartments Management.