“Wattamolla Hiking Tour”

Sydney Coast Walks
Ranked #96 of 380 Tours in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With some of Sydney's best natural beauty only accessible on foot, Sydney Coast Walks provides guided walking tours of the city's national parks. The privately guided hikes of Sydney Harbour National Park and Royal National Park enables you to reconnect with nature and experience the wonder of Sydney's outdoors. From easy half day and full day walks, to more challenging overnight hikes, choose a walk to suit your style. Full of interesting commentary including aboriginal sites, history and native plants and animals, you'll leave with a greater understanding and appreciation for the unique environment you're walking through.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I recently did the Wattamolla Hiking Tour (two days) with ‘Sydney Coast Walk’ and it was my third walk with this tour operator. I was so impressed that I booked my fourth walk, a day-hike, a few days later.
The coast track runs just about the whole length of the Royal National Park and is overlooking spectacular coastal scenery.

Depending on whom you ask and small detours made, the track is between 26km and 31km long.
I decided to have the overnight luggage transported to the camp site and I was glad I did. For me, a lighter day-pack allowed an easier hike to enjoy the beautiful coastal scenery without being burdened by stuff I only needed for the night. I found the first day quite easy and the walking pace just right. Carol was a wonderful guide with plenty of stories to tell and great local knowledge. It was obvious that she too enjoyed the walk and this enthusiasm spread throughout the group, adding to a great shared experience.

Arriving at the Wattamolla campsite brought an immediate smile to my face; a marquis with a table and white table cloth awaited us and we enjoyed a pre-dinner glass of wine and nibblies. While the walkers were chatting Carol prepared a delicious dinner, including a lovely desert! The tents were set up and, like in a good hotel; our over-night bag was neatly placed inside the tent. I am sure I fell asleep smiling!
Once the park gates are locked and all day-visitors gone, Wattamolla becomes an exclusive camp site for this group only. What more could you want?

I found the second day also pretty easy; some sections of the track are on elevated steel grates. There are ascents and descents which some people may find a bit hard on knees and muscles, but the walking pace is such that they are manageable for reasonably fit people. The walk up to Otford is all uphill but, again, if you take it easy it is manageable. For footwear I usually wear what the guides wear, hiking boots. The track is uneven and can be wet in some places. However, as mentioned on the website, trainers or joggers with a good sole are fine too. The Bundeena to Otford track is not a city stroll and if you have hiking boots I would suggest to wear them.

Don’t be discouraged or disappointed if rain is forecast. As on my first hike with Sydney Coast Walks, it rained on the first day. Bring a rain jacket and enjoy the difference. Listening to and watching huge waves thunder onto the beaches is an experience not to be missed and often only happens on or after rainy days.

The food, from breakfast to dinner was excellent and I found the description on Sydney Coast Walk’s website informative and accurate.

I am looking forward to the next hike and will do this hike again one day.

SydneyCoastWalks, Owner at Sydney Coast Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

A very warm welcome back and a big thank you for sharing your experience! Thanks also for some great tips for other walkers, and the gorgeous photos. We look forward to welcoming you back on another hike.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

We did the Marley tour and want to go back for the overnight tour. The day was sensational, views spectacular and we'd never have gone off the track without a guide and Sydney Coas Walks owner Ian Wells was so well versed with the lay of the land it meant we could relax and just enjoy it. The lunch spot was so amazing, we watched whales with their calves whilst enjoying a freshly made bagel in the shade of an overhanging sandstone cliff ledge - truly a experience to tick off the bucket list.

SydneyCoastWalks, Owner at Sydney Coast Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

We really appreciate your kind words - thank you! - and very much looking to seeing you again on another walking tour.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

A great day out in one of Sydney's mnore secluded areas, Bundeena. I went on the half day tour and we had a great walk. Wonderful aboriginal rock carvings and the pace was great, as well as the scenery.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you enjoyed your tour.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We took the all day hike and got lucky as it was my wife and I and Ian leading us the entire day. The hike was fantastic with amazing views, spotted a few whales, and the weather was absolutely perfect.

Ian kept a perfect pace and we did not feel rushed nor did it ever feel like the hike dragged on. We stopped plenty of times for rest and general gazing at the incredible views and were extremely happy with the experience.

You certainly go off the beaten path a bit as you hike down the coast and it can be a bit muddy, but what do you expect, it's a hike! We were incredibly happy with the tour and would recommend it to anyone, well worth the time and expense.

RoyalCoastWalks, Owner at Sydney Coast Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Great photo and thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Good tip about the potentially muddy track after periods of rain. You're right, it's part of the beauty of being out in the great outdoors, so come prepared.