“This is a two star hotel at best, we booked elsewhere.”
Review of City Lodge

City Lodge
Ranked #44 of 59 Sydney B&B and Inns
Alice Springs, Australia
“This is a two star hotel at best, we booked elsewhere.”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel based on the pictures of the rooms, and the fact that agoda.com had a price reduction from $390 to $165 for a premium double room.
Upon arrival we had to climb two flights of steep stairs with heavy luggage. This was not mentioned anywhere on the website. The room was smelly and stinking of old deodorant. Paint was peeling off the walls. There was hardly space to turn yourslef around in. Th ebed was hard as a rock. A complete rip-off. We got charged $180 on the credit card and left, to book a 5 star room in the Sheraton for $199 that same night. I wish I had read teh reviews on the web before booking this hotel. Staff was rude as well and absolutely not helpful. NB the free WiFi only works in the communal kitchen. Their advertising is deceitful, to say the least.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Newcastle
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We booked a premium double for one night (thank heavens) and paid $190.00. Wish I had read the reviews before booking it. Both my husband and I have leg difficulties and there was no description on their webpage of the 3 flights of stairs we had to trapse up with no lift available. This is appalling for OS travellers with heavy bags to lug up.
When we got to the room we found it to be a long box with a an ensuit at the end of ot. We were warned to kleep the glass door closed while showering or it would set off the fire alarm. In this ensuit there was a sign warning us that if the alarm was set off we would be up for a $750 fine. Not sure that's legal!!
The premium double bed was 2 singles pushed together with absolutely no spring left in them. In fact the centre was a hard ridge that sat higher than the rest og the bed.
To access the bathroom you had to duck under the tv screen mounted on the wall so you didnt hit your head and Im only 5 foot 4 inches. That tells you how much space there was in the room. Again, as otheres have noted, the bar fridge was in the wardrobe and the jug was on the other side of the room.
The tv only received 4 channels and there was NO foxtell.
The window looked onto a brick wall that you could touch and the blind was nailed down so you couldnt open it. The airconditioning was lousy.
It was reasonably clean except for the mould on the grout in th shower cubicle. This only appeared on a few tiles but demonstrates a poor attitude.
I have stayed in many hotles in the city for this kind of price and never before had such appalling value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Living Conditions: Comfortable bed and nicely maintained showers. TV was decent with only a few channels. Fridge had stocked drinks, but they said they would charge for it. Minor stain on the bed, FREE Wi-fi was nice, but keep in mind it is really slow and often disconnects. Stairs and no lift--so book this only if you're fit, or you won't be able to handle it. No brochures or real helpful staff regarding places to go, so visit the visitor centre at the Rocks for all your activities.

Location: 10-15 minutes Walking distance to Sydney Opera House, Circular Quay, and The Rocks 5 Minutes and easy to find from Wynyard Train Station, also has Woolworths and decent shopping Free City Shuttle Bus nearby on George St. that will take you down to Central Station (from there you can train it Bondi)

Kitchen: Stocked with pots, cutlery, and glasses. Microwave available. Saved on dinner as we bought from Woolie's and had pasta to last us three days. Nice little bottleshop across the street to grab a bottle of Sparkling to top off a night after watching a theatre performance at the Opera House.

Overall this is the best for value and location. The room was comfortable enough, we always woke up feeling refreshed. We benefitted a lot as far as being so close and easy with transportation, and also with making our own food in the kitchen.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors 4th, are difficult and tiring to get to. MUST BE FIT!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights from the 14th of Oct till the 19th of Oct .I stayed here to attend my brothers wedding at Dawes Pt near the Harbour Bridge.
I paid $674.00 for the six nights I was staying here and it was a lot cheaper than what the other upmarket hotels charged.First the positives ,it is centrally located and everything around Sydney is within walking distance ( Pitt St mall,Martin Place,Circular Quay,The Rocks) etc there is plenty of pubs and scenic things to do around Sydney.
Now the negatives ,my single room was tiny I had to pivit sideways to get around the bed,there is about 30-40cm of space between the bed and the main wardrobe.The TV is mounted high up on the wall and when you are laying down on some shows you see dark shadows.There is limited reception you only get nine,GO and GEM chanels you cant get the chanel 7 chanels.There is no FOXTEL as was advertised in the brochure.The room temperature was warm I had to keep opening the street window for cool fresh air.There is no elevator in the building and a lot of stairs if you are on the top floor like I was.I stayed in room 401 so avoid this one if you are allocated it.
These are the positives and negatives if you plan to stay here.

Room Tip: Check the room first.Dont stay in 401 this room should be a storage cupboard.Avoid the top floor it...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Wollongong
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed here for one night for the Sydney running festival. I chose the place due to location and low cost relative to other hotels in the area. To be honest I had pretty low expectations after reading other reviews, but generally the place was OK without being standout either good or bad. Self rated 3 1/2 stars is probably pushing the boundaries a bit though.

The lack of a lift I could see being an issue for some, but as I knew this in advance it wasnt a surprise or problem, and i was only on the 3rd floor. I may not have been quite as happy on a higher floor especially after running the marathon.
I had a standard single room which was quite small, but was adequate and the bathroom was also on the small side but quite OK and the shower was actually quite large relative to how compact the room was.

The carpets were a bit stained and one of the windows (room faced Hunter Street) was cracked and repaired and the decor was pretty ordinary, but none of tha was an isue for me. The dividing walls between rooms are pretty poorly insulated so noise carries and the communal living area was just outside my room so there was also noise form there.

I do have a couple of gripes though. Given a very early rise in the morning I went to bed early and was woken at 10pm by a phone call from reception asking me to come and settle my bill when convenient. I indicated that I would do that on checkout which was no problem, but could have done without the phone call.
I had also arranged late checkout (2pm) and so when returning after the run I found my room key no longer worked and had to go back downstairs to reception where I was informed that the keys were automatically deactivated at 12 on the day of checkout, which was pretty ordinary given late checkout. Reception staff were friendly and apologetic but these couple of issues should probably be fixed.

So would I stay again? If I was travelling alone and wanted a relatively low cost room in this area then possibly yes.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo