“Exquisite Cantonese food, great wine list, perfect service”
Review of Jade Temple

Jade Temple
Ranked #675 of 6,916 Restaurants in Sydney
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: A sophisticated and contemporary Cantonese dining experience, driven by an extensive and seasonal menu of dishes from one of China’s most-loved cuisines.
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

In Sydney for business, and decided a group of us, should try this recently opened homage to your local suburban Chinese diner by Neil Perry. Our booking started at a table for 4, then to 8, then back to 6, and then yet again back to 8, and at each call the reception was obliging, friendly and helpful. We all arrived on a Tuesday evening at 6pm and were seated in this beautifully spacious room to the rear on a long table to the right looking towards the huge colourful Chinese artworks hanging on the wall opposite. The service from the get go was perfectly executed, professional, well timed, helpful and friendly, especially seeing there were 8 of us bidding to get our favourite dishes selected in the ordering process.
Entrees, if I can remember them all were:
Pork and Prawn Sui Mai
Pork xiao bao with red vinegar and ginger
Pork pot sticker with black vinegar
Prawn spring rolls with sweet & sour sauce
Prawn toast with ham
Peking duck pancakes

All we're very good, with the pork xiao and the prawn toast being exclaimed excellent as was the pork pot stickers with black vinegar. The Peking Duck was also a standout.

For mains we had:
Honey King Prawns
A grouper fish dish
Lemon chicken
Slow cooked ribs
Dong Po Pork

And Special Fried Rice

All these dishes were delicious with some of us raving over certain dishes like the fish, pork and ribs.

There were also a couple of desserts that came out as well.
And we drank from a selection of very nice Rieslings.

I don't think this restaurant is expensive, considering its location and the deft delicate hand in which the food is cooked and presented, and the quality of the produce. This is not your suburban shopping strip local Chinese.

A VERY definite DO NOT MISS going here, it's well worth it.

A footnote, it was packed on the Tuesday night we were there.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We liked the service, décor and the food ! I am not sure why the other diners are so negative. I have eaten at Mr Wong, Spice Temple and now Jade Tenple ! The dishes I had were good, not very good, I must admit, however, it has just opened and needs some time to sort out a few misses. I loved the fried rice and the wine list was affordable and interesting ! We will return. Not up to Spice Temple standard yet but I am sure it will improve !

Reviewed 15 August 2017

The décor in the beautiful building is lovely. We met up with some friends from out of town. Its only been opened for a few months but it was very busy. The service and food were excellent. The cocktails were amazing and different, the wine list was good. Overall we had a very nice time catching up with our out of town friends.

1  Thank MissDetox
Reviewed 13 August 2017

Our party of four were really looking forward to the evening at Jade Temple but there were some major disappointments:

1. Wine List
2. Service
3. Food

Wine List
The wine we requested wasn't available. We were told that the wine wasn't available as they keep a large selection of wines but not many bottles per selection. How does that even make sense?! There was not even an attempt of offer us another bottle at the same price point

As soon as we arrived, we were served water which was split on the table and was not wiped up until we brought it up with the staff.

The specials were not explained until we asked for it and the service staff almost made us feel that it was an inconvenience to ask about the specials.

Dishes were brought out and just placed on the table without any explanation as to what they were.

We found the service staff to be rude and abrasive which shouldn't be the case at this price point.

The highlight was the desserts. The starters and main meals were nothing special and lacked flavour. The spanner crab dish was a complete let down - It was a mess of textures and very very bland.

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1  Thank neels-sydney
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Had a Bank Holiday lunch with friends at Jade Temple – 3 adults and 2 kiddies.

We had a 12pm booking, and I called them at 11.55am to push it back 30 mins and it was no trouble.

Unfortunately they don’t have highchairs and we had an 8 month old with us so he had to sit in the pram. But I had let them know this when I booked so they accommodated us somewhere that the pram would be out of the way. We also had a sleepy toddler with us and the extra pram was also accommodated (he slept the whole way through the 2 hour lunch).

The waiter was really helpful with what to order and explained a few of the items to us in a bit more detail.

We ordered:
Pork xiao long bao
Stone pot pork, bamboo and mushroom seared bun
Crystal dumpling with truffled mushroom
Chicken feet
Roast pork bao
Braised chicken feet
Peking duck pancakes
Pippies with fried noodles
Special fried rice

All of it was super tasty, light and fresh. It all came out at a good pace (not too many dishes at once) and in a good order. I think my favourites were the bao, the peking duck and the fried rice (although it was border line too salty).

The wine list is massive, although it’s a little pricey. We wanted a bottle of rose and the cheapest was $65 with the second cheapest being $90 something.

Neil Perry was there and I asked one of the waitstaff if we could have a photo if it wasn’t too much trouble. He came back minutes later and said Neil would be out soon. Neil came out about 20 mins later and realised we were still eating, so said he’d leave us to it and come back when we were done. I thought that was incredibly considerate.

It wasn’t easy getting in the door with the 2 prams but when we were leaving, the staff helped carry them down, without having to be asked.

Signage to bathroom is not obvious after the 1st sign directing to a corner with stairs going up and down – I went the wrong way at first.

The room had a really nice vibe. There was 1 large table of approx. 10 people, a table of 6 and a number of smaller groups as well. The noise levels weren’t loud but had a comfortable hum.

There is lots on the menu I’d like to go back and try.

1  Thank SammieGW