“this place was just fine”

Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf
Ranked #100 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 5 January 2010

We really liked the Ibis King Street Wharf. We also arrived at about 10 AM after a long trip from the US and the room was ready. Quiet room even on the second floor. We loved the firm platform bed; it's what we have at home too. Yes, the rooms are small, but very well appointed and efficient and clean. I'd stay there again; good price for Sydney, which we found very expensive, and good location--we walked everywhere. And only about two blocks from the train from the airport.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2010

Dear 'JeanfromBos2n'

Thank you very much for your stay at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the beds to be so comfortable and that you were able to check in promptly in the morning after a long flight!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 29 December 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of our month long trip to Australia and New Zealand. I'll start off with the positive points to this hotel. We found it to be in a pretty good location - we were able to walk everywhere without any problems - it also felt safe to walk back to late at night. The staff were very friendly - we arrived a couple of hours earlier than planned but our room was ready and there were no problems checking in straight away. Although there was a queue when we needed to check-out, (I think we had to wait for about 10 minutes), once we got to the front of the queue, check-out was dealt with efficiently and the receptionist apologised for us having to wait. On arrival we were given a map of the local area, and as the hotel has no gym we were also given directions to Fitness First where we discovered we could pay on a daily basis and use their facilities. The breakfast was amazing - as my husband and I are both vegans we still found things we could eat - a selection of cereals and muesli were on offer along with fruit salad. There was also the usual continental selection and hot food available but I can't comment on these as we didn't eat them. Even though there was no soya milk out, the chef was more than happy to get bring some out for us and even warm it up when we requested it. The only problem we had with breakfast was on the day we were leaving - the usual chef was off and the staff were not very organised - we had to wait for about 15 minutes before anybody brought us our soya milk and we also had to wait while they were filling the coffee machine and bringing out food.
The room was very clean and also fairly quiet - there was also a safe, a hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities. The bed was a good size (king size I think we had) and also extremely comfortable. Reception also arranged a shuttle bus for us to take us to the airport on the last day.

There are a few nagative comments on the hotel but nothing that ruined our stay. As I have read on previous reviews, the rooms are pretty small but it wasn't really a problem. I mean, who comes to Sydney to stay in their hotel room?? As we were only there 3 nights we didn't find it a problem - although there is limited space to hang your clothes up. It was 30 degrees when we were in Sydney so we welcomed the air conditioning with open arms - but it was so noisey we had to turn it off at night when we needed it the most! So, obviously trying to sleep was pretty difficult due to the heat. Although the shower was very powerful it constantly changed form really hot to cold - a bit like when someone starts using the taps or puts a washing machine on when you are in the shower - so this was a bit annoying! The internet was also pretty expensive - I can't remember the exact price - something like $24.95 for 24 hours. The only other two negative comments were that the alarm clock wouldn't work - luckily we had set the alarm on our mobile phones as well - and the price of the lager. One night we got back to the hotel and decided that we wanted to couple of lagers to take up to our room and were shocked to discover they were $9 a bottle!!! We bought them the first night - but the following night we bought some from a bottle shop instead.

Overall our stay at this hotel was pretty good and the positvie comments definitely outweigh the negative ones - mainly because nothing "ruined" our stay - they were just little niggles that were slightly annoying! But if we were to return to Sydney we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EvilDeeva

Dear 'EvilDeeva'

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay so much in particular the service, room, bed and breakfast, all of which we pride ourselves on!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 28 December 2009

My 9 year old son and I stayed here for two nights at the beginning of December. We arrived at about 9am in the morning but were allowed to check in immediately. We really appreciated this, having spent the previous day and a half travelling from the UK. I found every member of staff to be polite and helpful. The location was perfect for us, being near to Darling Harbour for Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife World and the hop-on, hop-off tour bus that stops right across from the hotel. We walked to the Aquarium after dark and I felt that the area was very safe. The previous reviews are correct with regard to the room size and the no frills decor but we didn't spend a lot of time in our room except to sleep so it didn't bother us. We also found the bed very comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean. I had chosen a deal that included breakfast and we were more than happy with the variety of food on offer. All in all, I thought it was excellent value for money and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ChrissieK

Dear ChrissieK

Thank you very much for your feedback I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf and found the bed so comfortable, I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 26 December 2009

I had an unfortunate change in my plans, and management were very receptive to making the changes I needed.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2009

Dear 'Frenchbo'

Thank you very much for your comments, Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf prides itself on the service provided to all guests and your feedback will serve as encouragement to all the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you next time

Reviewed 11 December 2009

Why a hospital room comparison? Room was tiny and stark with all cold white decor and a TV mounted on wallmount with wires dripping everywhere. There was absolutely no warmth or charm or anything worthwhile about it- this hotel ruined the end of my trip, actually, as the surroundings were so depressing.

I stayed in a standard queen room alone (#710) and it is a good thing as there was not enough room for two people to even pass each other in the space- one would have had to step in to the miniscule bathroom or sit on the bed for the other to walk around easily.

Decor is modern, but on the very sparse side. Like others noted, the matte finish white paint must pick up smudges and scratches easily as mine was scuffed in several places.

Bed is a platform style (i.e. no boxspring or mattress foundation) and very HARD as were the dreadful hard-as-a-rock pillows. ugh.

Service was scattered at check in, but they did end up accomodating my request for a higher floor room as I was originally assigned to the first floor and for safety reasons, I do not like to stay close to the ground floor when traveling solo.

Nothing at all to recommend about this place except for location, quite close to King Street Wharf string of restaurants and there is wifi throughout entire property- including each guest room- but there is a charge fo $24.95 a day.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank 100kmilesperyear
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2009

Dear '100kmilesperyear'

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am sorry that you did not appear to have enjoyed your stay.

The hotel having been recently built has been fitted out in a contemporary fashion but definitely can not be compared to a hospital room.

Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf is all about great service, clean rooms in a ideal location at a great price, and I have no doubt like many over reviewers have commented that we succeed in delivering this to our guests, and it is my hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you back for your next stay.