“ovfernight stay”

Ranked #94 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“ovfernight stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

we stayed overnight to see viva light show, the hotel location was great and the staff were very polite and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed here at the end of May 2012. The room was exactly as I expected: clean and no-frills. The hotel's location right near King Street Wharf is excellent.

Should one enjoy hot showers, however, one should be careful if staying here. In the bathroom of my room there was a sign warning visitors to make sure the door from the bathroom into the room is closed when taking a shower. Failure to do so may allow steam from the shower into the room, which could then set off the smoke detector. The sign notes that should this happen, the guest will be responsible for a $750 fine from the local fire authorities. While closing the bathroom door is not a problem for me, I find the need for this signage unacceptable as it suggests to me a critical design flaw in how the hotel and its smoke detectors are set up.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank John S
Geelong, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Ibis are a chain with Accor, and yes I understand its the 'no frills' level of comfort you expect with the Ibis', expecting, clenliness, tidyness, a place to sleep and enough room for two people comfortably. This has been the case in previous Ibis hotels I have stayed at, but this one just wasn't the same.

The hotel was a quick 5 minute walk from Wynyard Station and was easy enough to find. The reception was clean and the staff were friendly. We got there very early in the morning and had to store our luggage in the luggage room, in a luggage locker. I have no issues leaving my luggage in a luggage room, unattended is fine, but $7 for a locker, a bit stiff!

We had a basic room, and much like the other reviews, it was very very small. We were packing light and struggled to find a spot for both of the cabin luggage sized suitcases.

For something so small you would expect it to be easy to clean. I did notice on out first night, hair on the bedside table and in the bathroom. The third day the bed was made but the sheets weren't changed and a potato chip we must have accidentally dropped on the floor the night before (and didnt notice) was still there a day after we'd eaten!

So there's a double bed, a small section/cubboard (with no door) to hang clothes (coat hangers dont come out). There is a small bar fridge (with no mini-bar items), and a bench with a seat. Each side of the bed has a bedside table, one had an iPod dock. The iPod dock was so useless, because we couldn't plug it in. The powerpoint is hidden inside the top shelf of the bedside table and the plug was too big to be plugged in!!! There's also central heating with control in-room which worked very well.

There's also a 32 inch LCD TV with the normal Ibis tv/movie/bill setup. However since the room is so small, and where the TV is mounted on the wall, you can't face it totally towards the bed, there's not enough room to twist the TV!

It's also worth noting, the doona cover on the bed is just two flat sheets with a slightly dirty, slightly stained doona in between them.

Something that really gripes me with hotels is when there isn't a powerpoint on either side of the bed, using my phone for an alarm, I can't charge it if I want it next to me to wake me up! There was a powerpoint on only one side of the bed.

The bathroom was very, very small and cramped. You could sit on the toilet with a leg in the shower and brush your teeth at the same time. Definitely a one person affair when getting ready in the morning.

However I will comment the staff were very friendly, and the usually unattended bar downstairs was quickly attended to when required by reception staff. Also, the hotel is very close to Cockle Bay, restaurants, nightlife and shopping, as well as the ferry's.

So I can understand location, and that this hotel is an Ibis, but for the $229 a night we paid, we should have paid the very little extra and stayed at the Novotel across the harbour!

Room Tip: Stay at the Novotel, or a room away from the freeway for a quiet sleep.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
I am sorry that your recent experience at the Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I have spoken to our Housekeeping and Maintenance team to address the problems experienced during your recent stay.

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Kellie Stapleton
Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf
Adelaide Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Having booked through a company that offered special deals, I wasn't sure what to expect from the Ibis, King Sreet Wharf. While I was initially taken aback by the small window and floating floor, the room was well presented and obviously well cared for. The bathroom was modern with a very good shower nozzle and cubicle (always a good indicator of a room for me). I could easily fit all my bits and pieces on the bathroom shelves. Though my room had a city view, the traffic noise was minimal and allowed me to sleep peacefully in the comfortable bed. I loved the fact that I could regulate the heating or switch it off if I wanted too. All staff, from cleaners through to reception were friendly, helpful and very interested in following up any concerns promptly. I noticed the clientele were mixed age groups and each was treated with the same helpful and courteous manner. The location of the hotel was about two minutes walk to King Street Wharf and the greater Darling Harbour. It's also an easy walk to Circular Quay (though not when it rains). This hotel is first on my list next trip to Sydney.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo