“Great tapas, cool location”
Review of Bodega 1904

Bodega 1904
Ranked #267 of 6,394 Restaurants in Sydney
Reviewed 2 January 2017

I visited for lunch and wanted to sample the menu so I chose three tapas.

The smoked eggplant, caramalised baby onions, goats milk feta was excellent with lots of smokey flavour in the eggplant.

Tartare of rosedale ruby rump, creme fraiche, rocket, bottarga, crispy eschalot was one of my favourite tartares ever. The crispy eschalots gave a nice texture contrast.

I'd heard the spiced blood cake, mojo verde, yoghurt was something special and it was. I was expecting something dense like a sausage however it came out light and fluffy like a nicely roasted foie gras.

Service at the bar stools was good with dishes coming at a good pace.
I would definitely return to try more of the menu.

Reviewed 31 December 2016

We 4 decided to take a look at Tramsheds and quickly decided the the place to have lunch would be Bodega 1904 from the several eating outlets available here. Waited for the place to open at noon, one day in early December and within a short time after getting seated, the place was just about full- always a good sign.
Very interesting menu choices and we all declared our highlights to be Queso Fresco/Kohlrabi/Spatchcock and Sausage/Lamb. Barley tart/Choc Mint and Ginger loaf all class desserts washed down with a very decent 1904 Rose. Far from cheap at $290 for 4 but a great birthday lunch nonetheless.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

Just the two of us for lunch and when we arrived at 1230pm, Bodega 1904 was fairly quiet. Located in the newly-opened Tramsheds complex at Forest Lodge, judged only by the standards of food quality and value (and really that's all that matters, as poor service can at times be excused if the food outpaces it), Bodega 1904 deserves to be around for a long time.
Essentially the menu is divided into tapas and larger-portioned shared plates followed by a desert menu. This being our first visit we decided to stick with the tapas -- we could try more options from a menu that despite being small in size is full of interesting choices As it turned out the eight tapas we ordered were more than enough for us two grown (growing?) men meaning that this will be a “desertless” review. Given that the bill, which included a Spanish beer, a gin-and-tonic and a glass of rose, came to $150, I reckon that’s money well-spent. Highlights were -- pretty much everything -- green tomatoes , pickled but firm, crunchy, and full of flavour worked well against the grilled queso fresco, burnt leek and salted lime vinaigrette (I want the recipe for the vinaigrette). A separate tapa of Polish salami and pickled chili was way more interesting than the title it sounds. These tapas complemented the smoked eggplant, caramelised onions and goats milk fetta which came out next. The tartare of rosedale ruby rump, creme fraiche, rocket, bottarga with crispy eschallots mixed throughout meant that every mouthful was a sensation of taste and texture. Next was a refreshing kohlrabi, zucchini, chervil, apple and cucumber salad. Blood pud (erghhh) is not my cup of tea but husband remarked very favourably on the spiced blood cake with mojo verde and yogurt-- I took his word for it. Almost forgot – the 1904 sourdough with cultured butter was delicious and was put to good use to soak up dressings and vinaigrettes.
Service was swift, personable and professional so Bodega 1904 for me, anyway, gets a huge thumbs up. The only negative is that something needs to be done about the [lack of] air-conditioning. It was getting a bit sticky so I can only imagine how heated it will become in the next few months.

Reviewed 7 December 2016

Booked for lunch for 6 for our sons birthday, rang to increase to 8 people. Told that for that number you have to have the set menu at $70 p/head and then there's a 10% surcharge on top of that!
I get that large groups are easier on a set menu (not that 8 is really a large group!) but then to pay a surcharge as well when clearly the bill is going to be larger anyway? Most of the group are or were hospitality workers (and hence good guests and good tippers, not that they were to know but anyway...) and locals so not good business really. So we cancelled. Disappointing.

Reviewed 4 December 2016

This is such a fun, lively place. We stopped by on a Saturday afternoon for lunch at the beautiful bar area (there are tables too) and just loved the imaginative, delicious and great flavours of the tapas. Try everything - six dishes and not a single dud - and great bread, wine and beers.