“Not bad at all!”

Anason - Turkish Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 6,627 Restaurants in Sydney
Reviewed 12 March 2018

First of the Barangaroo restaurants to open....Visited a few times fo lunch and Dinner. At first not too impressed but possibly ordered wrong dishes for my tastebuds...tried again and thoroughly enjoyed my meal. Cannot compare to other turkish restaurants as have never been to any in Sydney to be honest.

All I can say is that the food is fresh, full of interesting flavours and great to be shared. Team with some turkish wines that are also available by the glass and you have a nice meal.

Wait staff are lovely and friendly ... one had eyes as blue as the Bosphorus Strait! I will definately be back as I am sure they will change menus often to introduce new tastes.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

Went there with a friend on a Friday night and had made a reservation. At that time I was already told there was a 2 Hrs maximum which was OK. When we arrived it was extremely windy and we were taken to our table which was without any protection from wind nor rain. When I asked whether we could be given a more sheltered table before thunder and rain would start we were told " No" as all tables were taken which wasn't the case. Just after we had ordered Drinks the rain started and I requested for another table as I did not intend to eat in pouring rain. We were finally taken to another table. This should have been offered beforehand and without me having to ask for it! We ordered the Hummus (AU$ 18.00 per plate), some bread and as a Coeliac on Gluten free diet I was offered Whitloaf instead of bread. As main we had Lamb and for Dessert the Turkish mess. Water and Wine was ordered as well. Water is being charged AU$ 5.00 per person with constant refill. The Lamb was delicious, Hummus and Dessert ok. The staff was very pushy, constantly interrupted the flow of conversation by asking whether we wanted this or that. Overall experience was very disappointing. I also know another Turkish restaurant called Effendy which is great and apparently is associated with this place. I expected similar food and service.
In my opinion Anason is overrated, over priced and truly not interested in return clients. A simple plate of Hummus ended up being a AU$ 23.00 dish as Bread and a few leaves of Whitloaf were charged extra at AU$ 2.50 per Bread and Whitloaf. At most other restaurants Hummus is served as a Dip including those items. Tap Water at AU$ 5.00 per person is too expensive as well. Will not return as there are much better Turkish restaurants available in Sydney. The 2 Hrs maximum time were not needed as service was so rushed and we didn't feel comfortable at all.
Anason doesn't exceed in Food nor Service only in price.

3  Thank Evi1507
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I dined along the waterside of Barrangaroo. We arrived early for our reservation and was offered an alternate table that is quieter near the bar. We were greeted with a smiley faced young lady who happily walk us to our table. The waiters were all lovely and gave us their recommendations. They listened to what we wanted and in the end we ordered food that was just enough. The Tarama dip was delicious with pretzels and we were given complimentary warm pita bread to clean our palet. We loved the veal liver. The camel sausages were also nice along with the duck and their strawberry salad. The baklava was the best we have ever had which was complimented with apple cinnamon tea and my husband had Turkish tea. We also had Turkish wine which nicely complimented our dishes and some Yeni Raki which is Turkish liquor. Overall we were really happy with the service and the quality of the food. Highly recommend this place. Book ahead especially on a Friday night and be prepared that it can get loud and buzzing with people traffic.

2  Thank RDacanay
Reviewed 8 March 2018

A Turkish Restaurant with a menu a little different than others. We had share plates for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed everything we ordered. Well worth trying. Friendly staff.

1  Thank M G
Reviewed 6 March 2018

We came upon Anason at the end of our walk from the Rocks thru Barangaroo Reserve on a hot day. Located in Barangaroo, as a part of many fancy restaurants lined up by the shore, Anason was one of the busiest places. Open-air tables, lined in cozy courtyard-like front, as it happens back in Turkey too - was a warm welcome. Burak took care of us and we enjoyed our cocktails at the bar, overlooking thru open windows as we waited for a table to free up.

This place offer small plates; very much like tapas of Spanish, Turks have mezes. They are to taste and share. So you better order just like ordering tapas; many of them.

Interestingly, Anason offered both traditional mezes, along with very Australian Barramundi. Either way, great food, attentive service - I thoroughly recommend this place. We will be back for dinner very soon.

1  Thank AErinc