Orbitz.com
Travelocity
Agoda.com
Prestigia.com
Hotels.com
All reviews rainbow reef dietary restrictions the reefs cottage boat fiji diving meals resort trips shore island bure deck currents rainforest
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 March 2022 via mobile

No swimming available, no pool, no hottub, and nobeach access! This is really not a true resort. Is a home base with very few extra villas for there family and guests. It is extremely secluded need time to plan the boat trip access. Hardly any staff around for assistance. All Meals are just bland at extra costs. Any boat trips are high cost. Plenty of dogs around sleeping at the front door of your cottage seemed extremely thirsty. Dogs follow you everywhere which can become totally annoying and not relaxing. But no bartender or waiter service provided which made our dining experience not comfortable. There is no data internet service or wifi.

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Management response:Responded 2 April 2022

I see that your date of travel on your review is shown as June of 2021. I don't know how this was possible since we have been closed since Feb of 2020.

Regards

Nigel Douglas

Reviewed 27 October 2020

We went to Sau Bay to enjoy the diving in Somosomo Strait: spectacular and Nigel knows the place inside out. But we also met great people: Nigel and Carol, the owners, shared a lot with us and went out of their way to help us. Access to WiFi, fresh fruits from the garden, and they were amazing to help us with a lost phone problem.
While we slept on our boat, we would have thoroughly enjoyed one of their private cottages.

Date of stay: October 2020
Management response:Responded 28 October 2020

Bula vinaka to you both!
It was so great to have you come and visit and to be able to dive with Nigel. I am so sorry that I did not come out to the yacht as promised!!! My feet on terra firma is vital for my sanity!
Best of luck with your travels and hope that if you pass this way again, please know that you are more than welcome to come and stay if we are open....or just anchor and pop in!
Hopefully your lost mobile saga manages to be resolved - please keep in touch.

Fair winds and calm seas be wtih you!

Lolomas and Sota tale

Nigel, Carol staff and furchildren

Reviewed 3 April 2020

Bula Re!
My husband and I live in Fiji. After two previous experiences as a couple at our Fiji go to resort of choice, Sau Bay Retreat, it was the obvious choice for a planned girly getaway! My diving friend Tammy and I teamed up with her cousin Tina, who is a non diver and this was her first trip to Fiji, for 5 days of pre-Christmas spoiling!
Being greeted on the beach by Bera and the rest of the Sau Family with a cool bu (green coconut drink) and salusalu (like an Hawaiian lei - necklace of flowers) set the scene for a week of sumptuous pampering and gastronomic scrumptuousness.
Every meal and cocktail was a sensation, with Bera's personal attention to detail and unfailing happiness only adding to the pleasure of dining.
Each day of diving was only bettered by the next. Lotu was an attentive dive guide and Harry captained the boat safely and was fun at surface interval. Somosomo Strait is spectacular diving and we ended our dive trip at White Wall which I have dived many times before, but due to Nigel's knowledge and experience we hit the water at exactly the right time and this was the absolute best dive of white wall I have ever done!!
Tina being a non-diver did not feel at all left out with us out diving every day. She went to "The Top of the World" a different way everyday with the pooches and did some other hill, garden, water side walks and beach combing. She lazed on hammocks while reading, did some local cooking lessons, stretched out in the sun and thoroughly enjoyed chatting with the local staff and learning about life in Fiji and the language. She also tackled snorkelling for the first time and teamed up with other guests for snorkelling trips and some swimming.
There were some other activities planned, such as day trips to Taveuni for the waterfalls, time line, waterslides etc but the weather turned and instead we stayed indoors and caught up with social media and sorting thru dive pics.
We all enjoyed Bera's daily cocktail specials and also her soothing touch with both relaxing and therapeutic massages. Bliss!!
Our room was, as always, beautifully appointed and kept clean and bug free.
Thoroughly spoiled it was a shame to come home. So much so that I went home and picked up my husband to return as a couple a few days later! As I say, it's our go to resort. It's like being with Family in Nirvana. Vinaka Sau Bay Retreat. You know we'll be back! Vinaka and Lolomas all.

Date of stay: December 2019
Carol D, Owner at Sau Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2020

Bula vinaka FeejeeJ9,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review....having you visit and now for a 'girly' getaway is really Special. We so enjoy your zest for life; the Sau family of Staff love your visits.

We look forward to your return visit and wish you all a healthy and safe time and may our Sau Magic help you through this unsettling time.

Loloma from us

Reviewed 17 March 2020

My wife and I stayed at Sau Bay resort for about ten days. This is exactly the unique off the grid experience with all our comfortable amenities we needed. The resort is a perfect place to have your vacation with so many activities and kind staff, it was so easy to snorkel out front and see beautiful soft corals, fish and even an eagle ray! Or enjoy the soft green grass and read all my books in the lounging chairs. The diving was one of a kind and you should really experience it for yourself. Having dived the South Pacific myself, rainbow reef is nothing short of incredible. The equipment was brand new and Nigel and Ylva made us feel really safe as we explored together the different dive locations. I Just wish we dived some more of these one of a kind sites.
At the end of every day we enjoyed some hilarious conversations with the owners Carol and Nigel. They truly have created something special and you can feel it around every nook and cranny. I'm looking forward to coming back.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Carol D, Owner at Sau Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2020

Bula getcooked32,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are thrilled that you stayed with us for your honeymoon; may the magic of Sau Bay be you both throughout your life together!
We hope to welcome you back to your Fiji home.
Vinaka and Sota Tale ( till we meet again)
Your Sau Family

Reviewed 5 March 2020

Can't wait to get back. Incredible location + great staff + good food = Awesome Vacation.
The size makes Sau Bay very intimate and incredibly relaxing. If you need to disconnect and relax for a while, this is where you need to come!

Date of stay: December 2019
Carol D, Owner at Sau Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2020

Bula Simon,

Thank you for the great review - we are all really appreciative when our guests have an awesome stay.

We know with everyones high speed life it is important to be able to find a spot in the world where you can disconnect and relax!

Hope to welcome you 'home' again soon.

Vinaka