“Dissapointed”

Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 13
Cuisines: Spanish, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Family-owned and run coffee bar with a difference - serving breakfasts, made-to-order sandwiches and lite bites, made-to-order lunch menu, home-made cakes (made daily) using local producers and suppliers wherever possible. Live Jazz every Saturday from 3pm - no tickets - just get here early!
Reviewed 9 December 2017

Visited today and ordered two coffees a cheese scone and a fruit scone.Coffee was good fruit scone was just dry so returned discreetly.Staff changed it for a piece of cake which was brought to our table we were then asked for the 40 pence difference which I refused to pay I mean really!The cake was also dry so left £11 poorer and fed up.

1  Thank bigcb13

Reviewed 12 November 2017

always very busy, you may not get a seat at times.good choice of coffees and cakes,nice snacks.staff polite and often smiles, they all count.try it.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Great food, nice atmosphere. Can get very busy , which means queing to put your order in. Allfood freshly made , prices vary to good value to a bit on the higher end.

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Having lived in Newark previously I visited strays regularly and filled my loyalty card with the required 8 beverages to gain my freebie to only have it rudely rejected by the obnoxious manager.
On questioning why he was not going to honour this reward system, which he had implemented previously, he was prepared to have a stand up argument in front of other customers.
He informed me that a new reward card was put in place and he would not honour the promise of a free coffee using my old card.

As you can see on the photos, there is no expiry date anywhere on the card.

I don't usually write bad reviews, however the man I dealt with was exceptionally rude and made me feel undervalued as a customer.

Plus extortionate prices for everything. £7.95 for a panini.

WE ARE NOT IN CENTRAL LONDON!

4  Thank James W
Mat S, Owner at Stray's, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

I don't usually respond to reviews, but in this case I feel obliged to fill the facts.
After unsuccessfully attempting to bully the server at the till, you spoke with me about wanting to use the card, despite already being made aware that the card was from an old loyalty scheme and was no longer valid. With regards to a 'stand up argument', you said quite bluntly that we should honour the card and I explained that we wouldn't be able to do that. Nothing more. The fact that you continued to push for your free drink is tantamount to bullying and as such, the alternative would be to give in to your demands - hardly fair on everyone else.

I explained to you that we had not issued paper loyalty cards for over 2 years at which point you said you'd not been in to the coffee shop, or indeed in the area for about that time. After telling me that the card had no expiry date, I did explain that we can't have expiry dates on cards as they are printed and as such, that wouldn't work:- a person who buys a coffee every day would be able to use it, but a person who only comes in occasionally, like yourself would get penalised. After stating that you should have been told, I said that we had publicised the change in the store and via our mailing list but you still insisted that we were in the wrong and should honour the card. I also explained to you that to honour your card would be unfair on anyone else who has been in the same situation and has accepted the change.

With reference to me being rude, you suggested that as the owner I could override the rule and honour your card at which point I said I would not do that. At this point you stopped trying to make the point and continued to place your order.

I'm sorry that you don't find our system fair and even more sorry that you decided to write an inaccurate and biased 'review' because you were unsuccessful in your attempt to get a free coffee.

With reference to our prices, they are clearly listed in our menu. The panini you inaccurately quoted is a monthly special with extras on the plate and as such is £7.95. The price is not hidden from view or any service charge added - we believe in giving customers the choice to decide what they want to buy and how much they're prepared to spend to do that.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

A huge menu of cakes, sandwiches, mains and salads during the day, wine and jazz in the evening and a bookshop rolled into one.
Food - especially cakes, salads and scones - are consistently good, although there is a more limited menu available on a Sunday than during the rest of the week. Lots of comfy chairs, although little configuration of tables for larger groups of guests.

1  Thank frankkelly