“Good food!”
Review of The White Rose

The White Rose
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 46
Description: A pretty family friendly village pub in Great Bromley, just 10 minutes outside Colchester. Offering freshly cooked and locally sourced food, range of draught beers and ales, wines and soft drinks. Pretty terrace area, large car park, children's play area, disabled access, baby changing facilities and breast feeding friendly. Open for lunch and dinner and also offer excellent facilities for private functions and special occasions.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We haven't been here since the refurbishment, but it was very pleasant! The service was quick and professional and we really enjoyed the food. We chose from the cheaper menu and had broccoli and Stilton soup, ( good with lots of Stilton), followed by Steak and Ale pie, the best we have ever eaten - all steak -no waste! This was served with a bucket of large chips, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, and a large boat of good gravy There was so much we weren't able to finish it all. We will be going back again!

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Booked meal for ten good job I pre visited restaurant found out place was closed for the previous week ? Other wise we would have turned up good job Robin Hood came to our rescue all that was required was a phone call previous visit was fantastic I hope that all is well with family Ray

4  Thank Ray Orrible-arr... T
Reviewed 1 March 2018

After looking forward to a meal out, I chose The White Rose for a pub meal, with 3 other people. The pub itself was warmed with a real fire, and the beer was ok. I decided to go for an English traditional pie and handcut chips. It was bound to be a hearty meal!
How wrong could I be? I ended up with the smallest slice of (in the words of the landlady) a tray-baked pie. When asked if she felt it was worth the £9.95 asking price, she said it was homemade and that I had the share of some fresh cooked vegetables.
Rather than cause a scene and ruin the evening for my friends, (mine was already ruined), I ate the "luke warm pie" and left hungry, instead of wasting any more money.
to try and feed my appetite.
It is nice to eat out ocassionally, but you do expect that a professional chef should be able to create you something better than you can produce at home. Certainly not the case at The White Rose.
It should be a treat not a chore to have an evening out with some friends.

5  Thank Arfur56
Reviewed 2 January 2018

Booked a table for 12 for Christmas Dinner. Nomal starters, Turkey roast and usual deserts with the option of Christmas pudding. Visited in person to pay deposit. Land lady very nice, showed us round and told us we would be in the main lounge with another large party with the music and dancing. On the night, arrived early had a drink at bar whilst our party gathered. We were then sat down in the bar area away from the main music and dance area. I mentioned we were told we were in the main area but was told there was nothing they could do even though we were the first to arrive. The meal was bland, no yorkshire with the roast and although we paid the same as everone else we had no party crackers on the table. When raised this with the staff we were told that they did not buy enough crackers so we didnt get any..... Later as the smaller groups left the main hall we were told that they had cleared a place for us and we could move into tha main area but by know we had had our meal and evening was well what it was so we did not want to go shifting tables and chairs. The outcome is clear there a least 12 of us who will not be returning again.

6  Thank andrew4952017
Andrea L, Owner at The White Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2018

Andrew,

Perhaps you would have the courtesy to acknowledge and respond to my reply where you posted a similar review on Facebook at the end of December Additionally, perhaps the organisers of your table would care to acknowledge and respond to the email I sent in the early hours of Christmas Day explaining everything, the most important point being that my brother was found dead the evening before - this over anything took precedent.

If you would like to discuss further, I am more than happy to take your call on 01206 251065.

Kind regards.
Andrea

Reviewed 30 December 2017

December 29th. The area where we were seated was cold. Service was slow and frankly the food was average. We found the menu very limited, and out of only 5 desserts on the menu, 2 were 'off '. Basically, felt that we had been overcharged for a less than average experience.

3  Thank Margaret S
Andrea L, Owner at The White Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Dear Margaret,

I refer to the review you have left above.

Firstly, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit to The White Rose on Friday.

However, please note that in between Christmas and New Year, we are always closed for a few days. We re-opened on Friday 29th, where the morning is extremely busy for the kitchen preparing all the fresh food, including all starters, mains and desserts. We do, however, run a slightly reduced menu during this time in the lead up to New Year's Eve dinner as we then close for over a week at the beginning of January. It would be a pointless exercise to run a huge menu (which, incidentally we do not do as we believe in cooking from fresh all the time) and a costly exercise in purchasing lots of food on the off chance that people will come in during this quiet period, only to be disposed of in January. If you knew how the hospitality industry works, then you would understand. I do appreciate, however, that not all desserts were available - these were being made in the morning and during service and unfortunately were not ready in time for the lunchtime service.

With regards to being cold, I find this difficult to believe. We have gas central heating, I had two electric heaters also in the restaurant and an open fire in the bar. If you were in a cold area, it would have been very easy for us to have moved you - you only had to ask but I was not made aware of this.

Service was not slow, however, you are clearly used to eating in "faster food" establishments where perhaps freshly prepared food is not the norm for you.

During your visit here, you would have been table checked - this is something we do with every table as it gives our guests the opportunity to raise any concerns or request other items that may be required. At no point did you raise any concerns with me or my colleague.

I pride myself on offering excellent food, excellent service and lovely surroundings. We encourage our guests for feedback, whether positive or negative and at no point did you approach me or my colleague. Rather than putting negative feedback on sites such as Trip Advisor, you could have spoken to me and we would have done everything to either rectify or reassure you of our mission here.